• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate Nightmare on Perf

Malkin

We use the 8518 from 3M, same stuff that goes on the wrap vinyl. It has a polyester liner and is very clear.
Can see out just fine.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Maybe you are using the wrong type of perf?? 50/50? 70/30? 70/30 is not recommended for vehicles...and is harder to see through (only 30% visibility). Even with optically clear lam, it is hard to see through.

Gangnam

Maybe you are using the wrong type of perf?? 50/50? 70/30? 70/30 is not recommended for vehicles...and is harder to see through (only 30% visibility). Even with optically clear lam, it is hard to see through.

The roll I have is 50/50

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Hmmm...well one thing I have noticed, over the years, is that even with 50/50 and optically clear laminate, immediately after installation it's a little foggy or muddled (still can make out light shining through, but not clear). But a day or two later it settles and is perfectly fine. I had a customer who complained about not being able to see out his windows after installing (storefront, with 50/50). Within the next week everything was good. Not crystal clear....I don't think that can ever be achieved with any laminate.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Well I've never heard of applying so much liquid laminate that it would actually fill the holes, release from the liner and actually apply with the perf. I doubt the liquid spray laminates are intended to be optically clear for that sort of thing.

You need to use a normal optically clear film laminate like Oracal 290GF that is intended for window perf. Even that is not perfectly clear like glass though but its about as clear as it gets. From the inside of windows it looks sort of like a slightly blurry window tint but you can definitley see out very well.

BALLPARK

I have tried a few brands of the optical clear laminate and the client normally comes back asking for a non-laminated window perf print. I would say no to the Lamex optical clear, I remember just tossing that material in the trash.

After reading this I will try the Oracal brand and see if it does not have the cloudy issue. I would prefer to laminate my prints, but not at the cost of a cloudy print.

I have window wraps from 2 years ago that still look great on the vehicle. I tell my clients that all non-laminated & laminated window perf gets a 1 year warranty.

If it rains and it is not laminated it is hard to see out. But the clients that have come back asking for non-laminated always say they would prefer to deal with the rain days for a perfect view on every other day.

I would say that about 75% of my windows do not get laminated. I use small samples of laminated and non-laminated to put on the windows as an example. But only use them when the client is not sure after I suggest the non-laminated.

I love window wraps! It is one of my favorite medias in the business and just think it is one of the coolest forms of signage. Sometimes I will lower the cost for it, if the client does not have enough in their budget for it.

I hope the Oracal brand works as I would love to get a print laminated without the cloudy view!

What is the advantage to having the lam over the holes. I would think if you used a spray laminate that dropped out of the holes it would be best.

Gangnam

I have tried a few brands of the optical clear laminate and the client normally comes back asking for a non-laminated window perf print. I would say no to the Lamex optical clear, I remember just tossing that material in the trash.

After reading this I will try the Oracal brand and see if it does not have the cloudy issue. I would prefer to laminate my prints, but not at the cost of a cloudy print.

I have window wraps from 2 years ago that still look great on the vehicle. I tell my clients that all non-laminated & laminated window perf gets a 1 year warranty.

If it rains and it is not laminated it is hard to see out. But the clients that have come back asking for non-laminated always say they would prefer to deal with the rain days for a perfect view on every other day.

I would say that about 75% of my windows do not get laminated. I use small samples of laminated and non-laminated to put on the windows as an example. But only use them when the client is not sure after I suggest the non-laminated.

I love window wraps! It is one of my favorite medias in the business and just think it is one of the coolest forms of signage. Sometimes I will lower the cost for it, if the client does not have enough in their budget for it.

I hope the Oracal brand works as I would love to get a print laminated without the cloudy view!

Thanks! I think I will order some Oracal tomorrow.

Patentagosse

From my experience with the 290F (Oracal), it's "foggy" for the first days but settle after that period. It's not "perfectly" clear but good enought to be considered "safe" for viewing outside. The layer of adhesive cannot be 100% as it's "floating" on the glass. The adhesive's back turns glossy with time but at delivery, your client may complain about it. I told 'em upfront that if they want something in their glasses, they will have to live with the clarity once applyied. Anyway, my own shop windows are covered so they can see exactly what I mean. 'Never got complain after the break-in period. 'Had to reprint 1-2 backglasses because they "baked" prematurely on low angled ones (some hatchback cars for instance...) but never on pickup trucks.

anotherdog

Tried many different ways, I keep going back to not laminating unless the customer requests it.

Non laminated you get rain in the holes, dirt build up and wear under the wipers, Laminated you get hazing (even with optically clear), doming when the air in the bubbles heats up and bulges, I also find laminated tends to lift more...and its harder to install.

I am just about to try some Vandalguard I just got as a sample.

4R Graphics

I think the OP is expecting it to be Crystal clear like glass that is never going to happen.

You should be able to see through it with no problems within a day or so if not right away but never will it be Glass clear.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
We too using 3M 8518 for perf. Looks ugly when we install it but it looks very good after a week or two. All the tiny bubbles settle down. Becomes ultra smooth after the sun baked it for days

J

john1

I have good results with the Fellers solvex perf and lamex optically clear

rjssigns

No lam here either. S-W Kut-In Clear. 2 light coats. No issues and we have clients on both coasts that reorder.