Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laminate overhang!

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by iPrintStuff, Jun 25, 2020.

1. So when I unload the the core that rolls the backing paper off, I let the the last wrap have some slack and then toss 2 pieces of tape onto where they over lap the roll. Then I hold the paper and spin the core in the opposite direction until the tape ( that held it on to the take up) breaks and I slide/pull the core out.

2. I posted this thread a few years ago, but failed to realize that is it helpful to noobs to have the top roller dropped when taping the lam to the top roller (so it doesn't move).

I will be posting a thread about splicing laminate in the middle of roll to roll laminatinng the next time I deal with it

Here is the old one:
    https://signs101.com/threads/lamination-tips.139129/#post-1333303

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    We try and get the alignment close then just load it in the cutter.
    Nobody got time to trim all that off.

4. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Ill leave a little but sometimes it can be too much and can get stuck. Plus if you set the roll on a stand it smashes it all together. In the winter, if you pull it off a roll and its stuck it will tear the vinyl before it comes apart if youre not careful.

• Like Like x 1
  5. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    what’s the usual tolerances you get on the laminator and do you get any issues with the summa cutting it/feeding?

6. Bly

Bly Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2004
    Sydney
    It runs quite straight if the rolls are loaded square so there's usually not too much overhang.
    I'd say we get about 5 or 6mm overhang which doesn't affect the summa operation. If it's a really long run we use the takeup.
    Though to be honest unless it's a small detailed job we run kiss cut jobs on the Zund these days.

7. jfiscus

jfiscus Map Wraster

Apr 2, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Check into buying a slitter if this is a major issue for you. We routinely require striping for a few major customers so we purchased a slitter. We use it almost every day for slitting 1" off of rolls of laminate (unless we print too near the edges) and cutting down all sorts of rolls. If you cut it off in 1/4" increments you have an unlimited supply of edge seal tape. ;)