• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

laminating table Big................

schurms

Ok, here goes, I just bought a big squeggee and the first print I have to laminate is 38" by 11 ft. What kind of table do I need to build or what kind of surface will be required to get r dun.

Drip Dry

That's a long print for a first time try on the big squegee. Your going to need a table at least that long, or maybe on the floor. (anything long and flat)

I would get used to it first with some smaller prints.

I have a big squegee, but I think I would find someone with a laminator for
that size.

Jim

signage

Any thing rigid that will not slide/move while you laminate/apply the material. Could be something permanent or temporary just depends what you want.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I have a 4x8 table that I've used with the Big squeegee to laminate 10+' prints.

Being right handed I proceeded thusly...

First cut off a piece of laminate slightly longer than the print.

Make damn sure the table and both sides of boh the print and the laminate are clean and free from and small particles of whatever.

Unroll the print and let the left side dangle off the left end of the table. Tape the right edge of the print down about 6"-8" from the right side of the table.

Now go to left side of the print, pull it taut and tape it to the table maybe 12" or so from the left edge of the table.

Tape the right side of the laminate down where you want it and unroll it to the left.

Roll the laminate shiny side out, which is intuitively backwards, but just do it, around a core. I aways tape the laminate to the core with a small piece of low or medium tack app tape or perhaps blue or green masking tape, whatever is to hand. I do this because I'm a klutz and it keeps everything organized while I fumble around.

Roll the laminate square and taut around the core and set it in the tray of the Big Squeegee. Because of excessive klutziness I loop a light bungee through the core and connect it to itself under the back side of the squeegee tray. Loose, just enough to keep what's in the tray in the tray. Your mileage may vary.

Now laminate up to the spot where you taped down the left side of the print.

Remove the tape that's holding the print and the laminate to the table, all of it, and slide the print with the sqeegee with the roll of laminate still in the tray to the right.

Tape the laminated print to the table to the right of the squeegee. Pull the unlaminated part of the print taut and tape it to the table.

Now, this is the part that works, back the squeegee off to the right just an inch or so, wind the rolled laminate up tight, and proceed as if you'd never stopped.

The important things here are taping both ends of the print to the table so it is taut and backing off the squeegee before you restart. All else is personal affectation.

os101king

hells yeah bob. now THAT'S some real practical knowledge you just threw down. I'm getting much closer to buying one of those things.