• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator Advice

armandolo

I took over a family business and the guys who work at the shop want a laminator. They have been doing lamination by hand so far. I want to get a laminator but wanna get some suggestions and pro/con/issues that people have. Im mainly looking at 54/55in cold laminators. Looked at Seal 54EL, Royal Sovereign RSC-1401CW and USTECH Pro 55C. Any experience with those models or at least with the brands? How useful is heat assist? Should I spend little extra for heat assist? Thanks

Biker Scout

Rolls Roller, and/or the 5 other brands of flatbed table applicators out there. Way better than a laminator. (There's a US made one called Rouge Roller)

Biker Scout

I'm making my own next week. Bought a 65" chinese mounter for a couple hundred... so I could steal the heavy roller. Then the table will be made out of either welded steel or t-slot extrusions. Most likely t-slots since they also have linear guide rails that glide along the extrusions nicely. (I build a sliding pneumatic grommet punch using that before) A giant piece of tempered glass, some LEDs under the table and a sheet of translucent white vinyl applied to the underside of the glass. BAM! Just saved $40k!

DigiPrinter

Save the dough, buy a Royal Sovereign. Seals are nice but spendy. I've been using an RS for awhile and don't have any complaints.

MikePro

:Welcome:2:signs101:&MerryChristmas!
for sure, go with a Seal Laminator if you can manage. search the threads, lots of insight here regarding brand names/models.

MikeD

It depends what you want to accomplish.
Most vinyl prints do not require heat as sufficient lams are usually PSA.
However, if you need something like a take-up for the finished job (not just for the lam's release liner) or x-axis slitters you may have to jump up to the bigger models. That will double your price. If your jobs can get away without heat, then my choice would be Royal Sovereign. Check out Supply55 for an after market take-up device. You will have to make your own adapter for it to fit onto your laminator squarely and parallel.
Are you trying to laminate sheets or long 150' runs?
Heat assist can also help with silvering, but time can as well. So can slower speed and increased pressure.
Whatever you can do to web you machine squarely will help you in the end.
Good Luck!

player

I bought an inexpensive Chinese 60" with a 5" or 6" roller. It has served me well, although if you are using your laminator daily it would be worthwhile spending more to save time and more accurate tracking on long prints.

chafro

Seal makes awesome laminators.

my first lasted over 10 years and was still working when I replaced it.

second has less than a year and working great.

arzu

About the heater; we have a laminator with heater, but never use the heater.
Our experience:
The glue is more fluid during heating, so the result is instantly better, but if you look al a cold laminated product after a few days the result is the same.
it seems that there are laminates especiall for -to be heated- laminators, and these laminates are cheaper. I never searched for them.
Disadvantage of heating can be warped products after cooling, if the top and bottom is different.

ProColorGraphics

I have had great luck with my US Tech. A 65" heated for under $5k? Can't go wrong for the price. The tech support isn't the best, but I haven't had any real problems either. You are just kinda on your own to figure it out. I would buy another one if I needed another laminator.

James605

I have used the Big Squeegee for atleast 4 years everyday. great product for what it is by the way...It was what I could afford. I bought the us tech a couple months ago. the 65 top of the line hot cold laminator. It works like a dream. I laminated 75' worth of 54" prints last week and it ran off less than a quarter inch. and that was most likely my fault for giving it a tug in the middle of the run. My buddy has a seal that he paid 8k for. he came and helped me do some things in the shop and was checking it out and even ran a few 8ft prints thru it. he was amazed that I got it for half what he paid. the thing is solid. I opted for the button to move the roller up and down also instead of the crank wheel. it has roll to roll which is awesome. its flawless in my opinion.

I will say I used the heat and I guess I thought the degrees was in F instead of C. I set it to 125 or 140 something like that just to test it out. it pretty much melted my laminate.lol completely my fault. just a caution

Oh yea. and if you go to the ebay site from the website. you can get it for $4300 delivered to your door. you cant beat that with a stick....