• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator Issues?

Tourney Services

Trying to laminate Arlon DPF 4560GTX with 3220 Gloss Laminant. Laminator is a Drytac Jet Mounter 63. I don't know if it's the tension or the way I feed the vinyl but I can't seem to be able to get to run smoothly with no creases it's starts out fine then a crease starts in the center than continues to the right side of machine then keeps repeating. Left side of Machine seems to be doing fine? If anyone has experience or can help me wuth this it would be awesome!

Thanks,
Ruben

marcsitkin

Check the release paper take up. Is it causing ripples to show up on the top roller, or is the laminate rolling smoothly across the roller? You may have too much tension on the release paper roll.

Do you know how to perform a nip check? That would show any uneven pressure across the roller which can be the cause of what you are describing.

How old is the machine, and does this happen with any other media? Are you using a sled? Do you have photos that you can post?

petepaz

could be the tension
try running some craft paper through till you get it going consistent
never used that laminator but i doubt it has anything to do with the material it self

petepaz

reach under your shirt and start rubbing around on your chest...sorry i couldn't resist that one

marcsitkin

No what is a nip check?

It's a way to check the pressure of the rollers across the laminate. To do it, load laminate on the top and bottom feeds, run it between the rollers and drop the rollers on the lam. You'll end up with a line, maybe around 1/2 inches or so across the width of the material. Measure the left and right sides, they should be the same. If not, one side of the rollers is pressing down more that the other, and needs to brought into adjustment. This is typically done with a thin piece of material used as a feeler gauge while adjusting the height of the left and right side of the rollers.

If the nip test reveals no problem, you need to do more troubleshooting.

Tourney Services

Nip Test looked good even all the way accross? I did notice that the supply roll has more tension on one side than the other laminant hugs the roller on left side that is running fine and sags on right side?

marcsitkin

Nip Test looked good even all the way accross? I did notice that the supply roll has more tension on one side than the other laminant hugs the roller on left side that is running fine and sags on right side?

Good news. If the release paper is unwinding smoothly, then it sounds like you may have a badly wound roll of laminate. Take it off and look at both ends. Is one tight and on loose? If you switch to another roll, does the problem go away?

If so, get an exchange on the roll giving you trouble.

If the release paper is hanging onto the laminate too tightly, it may not be allowing the laminate to touch the top roller early enough to smooth out across the roll. Another sign of a problematic material. I just had one here myself.

This can also happen if one side you feed isn't square to your laminator. One side will have tension while the other side will have slack. You should be able to check with a ruler and a level.