• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator... opinions

ericmitchell29

I'm thinking of getting a laminator. I don't have alot of money to spend. I tried getting by with the "big squeegee". It does not work in the least. I can see using it for small jobs, and some masking. But on a 54'' print, definetly not working.

Anything worth getting for under 2000?

Thanks
Eric

ChiknNutz

Well, I don't recommend getting by on the cheap with a laminator (as I've done), but the DingTec is about that price. Yeah, it works okay and we've managed to get by with it, but I'm really considering getting a real laminator with take up reels and the like, and using this strictly for mounting prints to substrates...which it is great for...since it is so simple.

Tparkin

This comment will most likely generate a ton of responses, but...

I get by fine with a 54" daige laminator. Granted, it took about a year to figure the darn thing out and get it working correctly but after that it's doing fine...and probably a third of the cost of a nice, name brand laminator. I don't do a ton of wraps and large scale stuff so it gets by nicely...if I was cranking out large scale stuff every day I could see upgrading for sure.

os101king

This comment will most likely generate a ton of responses, but...

I get by fine with a 54" daige laminator. Granted, it took about a year to figure the darn thing out and get it working correctly but after that it's doing fine...and probably a third of the cost of a nice, name brand laminator. I don't do a ton of wraps and large scale stuff so it gets by nicely...if I was cranking out large scale stuff every day I could see upgrading for sure.

Ok, here's a message from the other side of the coin. I like my machines big, heavy and bulletproof. I also like having to hit up the manual or instructions only occasionally.. I like being able to run something passably the first time. I do not have a spare year to invest and although Ike from Daige has personally offered to come down from NYC and help me learn how to use it, I am inclined to just sell the thing and buy a laminator when I can afford a real one. The big problem with the daige is the 2 tensioner system. Being that the crucial point of lamination is even pressure, having a system that's inherently inaccurate on that scale is kind of self-defeating.

Put it this way. If you've got the patience of a Saint, and a couple weeks to kill SOLELY on learning to use the thing (not to mention a few hundred dollars to burn on the material you're going to waste, then by all means buy one (BETTER YET, BUY MINE!!!). Otherwise, save up until you can spring for a Seal or Royal Sov....

Now I'm sure the Daige works, but it definitely got off on the wrong foot for me with that papier mache construction that passes for a stand they sent. Also, the total lack of gradation on the tension wheels that ASSURE you're guessing half the time about the amount of turns you've made.

Sorry, babbling now. Are you Martha Stewart? Then a Daige will work fine. Dennis Leary? Wait and save.

texas_D

Buy a Big Squeegee, if you are looking to get in cheaper than 2k, then this is better than any cheapo laminator. just my $.02

P

ProWraps™

got a 65" dingtec with a gazillion take up rolls and whatnot. works great. weights about 1000lbs. if you can find a used one, i would recommend it.

flyinhawaiian968

Well, yet another Dingbat, errr, DingTec customer here, still happy with the last one I got from my supplier! Cost me just under 2500 bucks and it works just fine, even when doing 25'+ laminations for boat/vehicle wraps.
Of course, as I said in another thread about laminators, the top-o-the-line DingTec I initially bought was a piece of dookie and twice the price! Nobody, including two techs and the owner of my distributor, could get it to laminate anything longer than 7 or 8 feet without crumpling it all up!

Its interesting how these DingTec's are being rebadged by everyone now! Looks like Sign Warehouse sells 'em under their name too...

Chris

Fuzzbuster

The question should be...

How much print$$$ over your $2000 budget are you going to have to reprint ...because of a crapy laminator

Buy a seal and be done...

Not to mention venting time before lam...on reprint:thumb:

unless you dont get any rush jobs and you have weeks to do a wrap

Cheers

P

ProWraps™

our digtec was purchased under the enduralam name from sign warehouse.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
...I tried getting by with the "big squeegee". It does not work in the least. I can see using it for small jobs, and some masking. But on a 54'' print, definetly not working. ...
When I get these comments it is often from one or more of the following.
1. They made their own version of the Big Squeegee.
2. They could not get the DVD to play or they didn't watch it.
3. The squeegee don't span the entire width of the vinyl they are applying.
4. Tried it once or just took a look at it and didn't try it at all.
5. Silvering of any kind drives them up a wall even though it disappears in a short time.
6. Rough Table.
7. Has not used it on smaller jobs to get some practice.

This list could go on.

The point is that other people generally don't have a problem with laminating 54" prints. I have had some customers laminate up to 62" on a regular basis.

Length should not be a problem either. It is not all that uncommon to laminate a full 50 yard roll in less than an hour using the Big Squeegee.

B Snyder

Ok, here's a message from the other side of the coin. I like my machines big, heavy and bulletproof. I also like having to hit up the manual or instructions only occasionally.. I like being able to run something passably the first time. I do not have a spare year to invest and although Ike from Daige has personally offered to come down from NYC and help me learn how to use it, I am inclined to just sell the thing and buy a laminator when I can afford a real one. The big problem with the daige is the 2 tensioner system. Being that the crucial point of lamination is even pressure, having a system that's inherently inaccurate on that scale is kind of self-defeating.

I think it was you I once offered to come to my shop and see my Diage QM4 work perfectly every time. If not, I'm offering now. If I did, the offer still stands. I've put 8 rolls of 50" laminate through it since I got it in February.

ericmitchell29

I have used the big squeegee, I own 2. Silvering does drive me crazy as it should anyone that is in the print industry. You wouldn't sell something like that to a client I hope.

I have now wrecked two 54'' prints and I practiced for quite sometime with smaller prints. I have a completely flat table with plexiglass on top, no scratches, nothing.

I guess, if perfection doesn't matter than it does ok.
I'll keep searching I guess.
I just can't justify buying a 6000 laminator right now. Oh well, its my own doing I guess haha.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Laminating with the Big Squeegee does not mean it is the end of the process. You will have at least some silvering to deal with. The felt is somewhat worse than the satin edge for silvering. The main thing is that the Big Squeegee mounts the vinyl fast without any bubbles.

Silvering will go away on its own if it is left in a heated area over night. If you want to get rid of the silvering right away you will need to apply more pressure with a brayer or felt covered squeegee. Heat will help some too.

Some silvering will disappear when you apply the laminated print to the substrate.
There is never any need to give a customer a graphic riddled with silvering.

The Big Squeegee is an inexpensive way to manually apply large pieces of vinyl in a short time.

k.a.s.

Although I have never used a Daige or other cheaper laminator, I decided after reading repeated threads about cheap laminators that I would suck it up and buy a seal. So I bought a 54 Base and I am not sorry, it really does work well I laminated successfully the first day. I really have not screwed up anything that was the fault of the laminator. My advice is wait till you can buy a good one. JMO

Kevin

Oh and no butcher paper.

Jackpine

Silvering has not been a problem ...... ever. I re-squeegee the print by hand (takes seconds) with a felt squeegee. I have laminated 36"x18' prints on a 10' table without a problem, alone. You need to get the front edge of the laminate even and a steady "push and pressure". Some laminates work better as Dale has posted. I like Oracle 210 (soft finish and thin backer) but you have to remove the backing as you laminate. I have been using Arlon from Gregory and Rtape Eclypse from Grimco laminates for prints with good results. Just my experience.

Checkers

With some practice, the Big Squeegee is a good solution for short runs.
On longer runs, I would recommend a GBC laminator. No, they're not cheap, but cheap can cost more in the long run. I could easily run 50'+ on the falcon 160 without thinking twice.

Checkers

GregT

I have learaned on a 38" Daige and recently upgraded to the JT54 from Drytac. The difference is night and day.

Idea Design

Although my experience with laminators is limited, I'll offer this piece of advice up. If you do decide to get the DingTec (EnduraLam) from Signwarehouse, watch all of the videos for setting the thing up on their site. If you adjust the upper and lower pressure rollers like they tell you, all goes well.

I had never sent anything larger than a letter size sheet of paper thru a laminator before I got mine, and now I regularly send 8, 10, and 12 foot by 52" wide prints thru it. Believe me, I'm very lucky, but I do believe that if you set it up correctly, it works very well.

On a side note to this, SignWarehouse recently changed the model of the dingtec that they are selling. I blew a fuse in mine when I first set it up, and came on 101 to find the location of the fuse, and in talking with Valentino, we figured out that mine was a newer, heavier version. Almost double the weight, in fact. It's made out of kind of uni-body construction with heave 10 gauge plate steel. The top cannot be taken from the bottom. It's one heavy bastard, but it works well.