Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laminator poll

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Tony27, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Tony27

Tony27 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    I am about to purchase a 54 inch cold laminator with heat assist. Being there are so many to choose from I am looking for imput from the audience. Taking into consideration quality, ease, price, etc.

Tags:
  2. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    Why do you need heat assist?

3. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    http://www.signoutletstore.com/d2f1bf375f2273fe4e81850bc1e5602b
    Check this laminator, it has the heat assist thing and also i saw it at an open house and worked very well, easy to use, you can adjust the height the way you want or need, you dont have to use the preset heights like the other laminators. It comes with everything you need in a laminator no other accessories to buy.

4. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    You really need to set a budget for this purchase since you can get a very nice laminator, for example, in the $5000 range or you can go to the next level for $15,000. It depends on your intended use and volume. I suspect you are in the $5000 range (I wouldn't recommend anything lower than that and I definately would not recommend any Chinese import or the Daige), so let me offer the:
    Royal Sovereign RSC1400H (Possible older model #, I have not researched the newest model #s)
    5 roll holders - paper • media • laminate • liner take-up • media take-up
    Heat Assist
    Cost effective
    Excellent performance
    Excellent reliability
    Excellent support, warranty, service

Actualy, I own this particular laminator and I never use the heat assist for general sign purposes, so depending on your specific needs, you might be able to elimininate the heat assist for some cost savings but the 5 roll holders are of critical importance.

If you want to go to the next level, I would suggest the Seal Pro Series. For the extra $10,000 you get the brand name, supposedly easier roll holders to swap material out with, generally percived greater value, and possibly higher volume processing.

The last thing I'd like to say at this moment is that purchasing a laminator is not like purchasing anything else. A laminator may last you many, many years. It is a simple piece of mechanical equipment that will outlast digital printers, etc. Therefore, you should anticipate your future when purchasing a laminator and purchase one that will be size appropriate for you future needs.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  5. Tony27

Tony27 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    thanks for the imput, it just so happens that this is one that i had intended to look at. S&F supplies in Brooklyn had given me a quote on this. Two questions, is it easy to change material and do you have to purchase a special paper to put underneath the print?

6. Tony27

Tony27 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    To eliminate the silvering.

7. Tony27

Tony27 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    thanks, good info

8. fmg

fmg Very Active Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I have the Seal base 54.
    Never used the heat assist and not once encountered any silvering when laminating prints.
    This is a good all round solid unit which will take minimal experience in starting up.
    I like the fact that the gears are easliy adjustable on the rollers and has the tilt lead tray.
    Hope this helps.

9. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    Very easy to use, easy to change materials, now if your print is smaller than the laminate roll then you need to buy the kraft paper, but if the rolls are matching in size you dont need the kraft paper. I just happened to be there when they laminated a whole roll of 54"x150' in one shot using the heat assist and everything came out perfect. I really like this one better over the Royal.

10. Bill Modzel

Bill Modzel Active Member

I have a 51" laminator with a hand crank. It looks like a long ringer washer rig.
    I paid $300 for it and wouldn't trade it for a $7,000 Seal. It's fast and easy to use and most of my jobs are way less than 8' but I have applied full size prints to 4x10's too.

11. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Bill do you have a photo of it?

Could you post it?

TIA

12. Bill Modzel

Bill Modzel Active Member

Here's a couple my wife just shot. The laminator itself is the blue frame. I built the off and on tables which fold down if I need any extra shop space.

Attached Files:

13. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Bill, I've looked at something similar and wondered how well they work. I'm not a high volume shop so it's hard to me to justify dropping $5k+ on a laminator. Do you know the brand name of yours, and where you got it?

14. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    If you haven't bought it yet.... contact Dave Phillips, a Merchant Member here [Graphics Resource Systems.... GRS], and see what deals he has available. He's fantastic to deal with and very knowledgeable. Or..... just wait for the Sign show at Atlantic City next week. They'll all have huge deals going on there.

15. signsbydebbie

signsbydebbie New Member

May 12, 2010
    Texas
    We have a 65" Royal cold.
    What I have learned....
    Have a 54" printer, get a 65" lamination machine.
    Silvering, if any, goes away in a few hours.Heat not needed.
    Royal Sovereign (at least mine ) IS MADE IN CHINA, IT SHOULD COST $1800...max.

The Big SQueegee is the best $100 I ever spent on sign gear........

16. Slamdunkpro

Slamdunkpro Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I have a Seal Base 54 but I think I'm going to ditch it and get a Base 62 or a Seal Pro 62 so I can do roll to roll.

17. Sticky Signs

Sticky Signs Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Vancouver
    Tony,
    I'm not sure what you guys are doing, but my guess is that you don't need the heat assist. I have the Royal 55" cold laminator. I don't have any problems with it and the price was right.
    When I started shopping around, I really had my heart set on a Seal (that's what I learned on) but I after trying the Royal S I decided it was more than good enough to do what I need it to do.
    Hope this helps.
    D

18. GraphixUnlimited

GraphixUnlimited Member

Nov 16, 2010
    Im with Sticky on this one... ive got the 55" Royal Cold and I laminate all day long like a bat outta hell with no issues ( minor silvering but it goes away in a few hours )

cheers eh!

19. Tony27

Tony27 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Thanks

Thanks to all 4 the info

20. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

The Royal Sovereign is a great first laminator. It takes some getting used to and will test your patience at first, but they all will. Once you get it dialed in and figure it out though, they're very good and will last years.