• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator recommendation for gerber edge

Looking for a good laminator to pair with gerber edge 2. Currently we are using a basic hand crank model with no media holders. It is hard to keep a print straight over a run longer than 4 ft. Since there is limited margin for error to keep the graphics covered and not go over sprocket holes.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Why not use Gerber's UV foil? Or do they not make that any more? Seems to me that'd be easier.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Google search gave me results from $300.-7,000 +
I myself still hand laminate anything large I take to my buddies shop , cheaper than buying a laminator (and we trade surplus supplies Win win )
I have on occasion used my e z weeder to laminate, works well for both application tape and laminate. Never have used it for weeding

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
They do still make abrasion guard, but I want to laminate to increase thickness as the vinyl is a little to thin on its own. Much easier for customers to apply the decals.
In that case, maybe use a thicker vinyl to start with?
I can honestly say I can't recall ever seeing a roll of laminate smaller than 30"- or one that had sprockets. I'd guess you'd have to have the laminate cut down to 14" or so then hold your breath that it would track straight enough through the laminator to not cover any of the sprocket holes unless you're running a friction fed plotter.

OPENSignsInc.

Google search gave me results from $300.-7,000 +
I myself still hand laminate anything large I take to my buddies shop , cheaper than buying a laminator (and we trade surplus supplies Win win )
I have on occasion used my e z weeder to laminate, works well for both application tape and laminate. Never have used it for weeding

I would probably go insane without either one of our EZ weeder or sheeter. Those 2 pieces of equipment (I actually have 4 - 2 of each in different sizes) are worth more than their weight in gold. We got ours nearly 20 years ago and they're still going strong. We've never used them to laminate (only transfer tape) but I don't see why a sheeter couldn't cold laminate. www.weedersheeter.com

FunkotronXL

In that case, maybe use a thicker vinyl to start with?
I can honestly say I can't recall ever seeing a roll of laminate smaller than 30"- or one that had sprockets. I'd guess you'd have to have the laminate cut down to 14" or so then hold your breath that it would track straight enough through the laminator to not cover any of the sprocket holes unless you're running a friction fed plotter.

Graphic Marking Systems has focused on laminates for the Edge system for quite a few years now.

https://www.shopgms.com/index.php/

ProPDF

Looking for a good laminator to pair with gerber edge 2. Currently we are using a basic hand crank model with no media holders. It is hard to keep a print straight over a run longer than 4 ft. Since there is limited margin for error to keep the graphics covered and not go over sprocket holes.

Maybe check out Royal Sovereign they have smaller laminators that accept 3in cores. I have seen none that have sprockets and honestly I wouldn't want them cause if your rollers and pressure are not %100 dead on it would just bind eventually.

Here is a cheap one on eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Laminator/333186828430?hash=item4d937b888e:g:ABsAAOSwMyVc0fI-

Thanks for the replies. We bought a 60” roll of 8509 from Grimco and they cut it down to 12” rolls. Which doesn’t leave much margin of error on 10-11” prints. Next time will probably get a 54” roll cut down ton 13.5” sections. I have seen that model from RS on eBay, but I believe that is a hot laminator which is what a lot of the smaller ones are. I thought I needed to stick with a cold roller. I did look at the Econocraft Junior on GMS which is around $4000 but haven’t found any reviews, I think it may be made by Ledco. They also have the workhorse which says it can run a full roll without deviation but it is $17000 which is out of budget.

I would probably go insane without either one of our EZ weeder or sheeter. Those 2 pieces of equipment (I actually have 4 - 2 of each in different sizes) are worth more than their weight in gold. We got ours nearly 20 years ago and they're still going strong. We've never used them to laminate (only transfer tape) but I don't see why a sheeter couldn't cold laminate. www.weedersheeter.com

The weeder is pretty awesome, I wonder if it works as well with heat transfer vinyl which we cut a lot of.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
hyatts.com lists many options - i use for info only unless $$ is better . They list many 13 inch rolls W/ different thickness and uses, laminates and edge / FX applied foils . seems alot of suppliers only carry/list one or two options .