• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

laminator

kstompaint

Yea it doesn't shift at all. If you have your print and lam lined up tight on the rolls and get it all set up nice and straight, it rolls straight. We had basically zero training on this and had never done it before. There was a learning curve at first, but we got it down now.

B Snyder

I was referring to reading the hundreds of posts he'll find when he runs the search. It's gonna take a long time to read them all. :)

WOODBS

how about the drytac? anyone have that one? i really like the takeup reel of the gbc i saw the other day tho

jmcnicoll

We started with a GBC 1264 and it has been sitting idle since we upgraded to a AGL 64i. There are many decent machines if all your doing is cold laminating, but if you want to run hot lams do not go cheap, I repeat, do not go cheap!!!!!! What you buy should really depend on what you plan on using it for.

jim

WB

We have a 40" Seal and a 60" GBC Titan.. I've been using the Titan for about 10 years now and it's still going strong!

the Seal we just using for mounting.

cmaxdesigns

We purchased the RS 1400C (new) about 3 months ago and have had about $2000 worth of prints damaged from the laminator creasing the prints. We have tried many different techniques and cannot seem to figure out what the hell keeps happening. I have not owned any other laminators but will probably be getting rid of this and getting a Seal.

It could be operator error since sometimes it works great but we do vehicle wraps and lose a lot of our profits on ruined prints. Our supplier spoke very well of this machine and the Seal and as you can see on this forum everyone that owns a Seal is very happy.

cmax my money is on operator error. you need to get someone on site that has hands on experience with your machine and have them dial it in for you and do some private lessons, this is not normal operations that you are describing.

if you do not know anyone in your area that can help you out let this forum know so we can help you find someone to sort this out for you.

kstompaint

The problems that Cmax is having may be due to operator error... but we had only a VERY brief lesson on our Seal and it was from the installer who had very little experience actually using the machine. I'm not going to say that we never messed anything up, but we certainly didn't throw away $2k in prints.

The Seal is very user friendly.

cmaxdesigns

cmax my money is on operator error. you need to get someone on site that has hands on experience with your machine and have them dial it in for you and do some private lessons, this is not normal operations that you are describing.

if you do not know anyone in your area that can help you out let this forum know so we can help you find someone to sort this out for you.

yeah, the supplier who delivered it gave us a 10 minute demo and off he went, haven't hear from him since. How should I go about finding a rep to come out and show me how to run it? Any advice is appreciated.

Chad

kstompaint

That's what I meant... We only got a 10 minute lesson from an installer who had little experience actually using the laminator and we had a very short learning curve.

Rather than trying to get a rep to give you a lesson, how about a forum member. If I were closer, I'd be happy to show you the "tricks" we figured out. Have you searched YouTube or the manufacturers site?

I have a Seal and it works great. I bought it from a company that resales used laminators. I'll be glad to pass along the contact info if you are interested.

my concern is not brand a or brand b...the fact is he has what he has and he shouldnt be struggling and losing money the way that he is, so instead of telling him to dump his machine (which is capable of doing what he needs it to do with some dialing in and a little training) my suggestion is we figure out how to get him up and running.

my suggestion would be to start a new thread indicating that you have this machine and would like to find someone local to you to give you a hand. i would first go to their shop and see if you can identify something obvious that you are doing wrong or is wrong with the setup on your machine...and if nothing is screaming at you maybe see if you can get that operator to come out to your shop and take a look (if based on your observation it was obvious they knew what they were doing).

if that is not an option i would start asking printer techs in your area if they are familiar and have setup your model of laminator and get one of them in there (if they are qualified)...again this is NOT normal and something is wrong, either technique or setup with the machine...there are some basics in the set up with a laminator that if they are wrong you are going to struggle.

if neither of these is an option lets start posting up some photos and maybe some video of you in operation and see if we can identify the issue(s) and start correcting them.

i know a few techs that can either straighten this out OR identify that we have a larger problem on our hands (maybe there is a defect? who knows. but my money is on lack of training/technique/ O.E (operator error) )...but these techs are not in your neck of the woods and it doesnt make sense to me to pay for travel when we should be able to find someone relatively close to you to straighten that out...if that is not an option well buy me a plane ticket, put me up in a hotel (i don't do motel 6..life is too short), take me out to a great thai or indian restaurant at the end of the day but i think that if you are willing to do some leg work you can straighten this out without having someone travel cross country.

astro8

GBC, SEAL, RS, doesn't matter, it should work and work well.
Assuming it isn't bent or broke, something is wrong with either the operator or setup..just buying a Seal won't help, (I've used them all and others and I like GBC)
As Dan says, post some pics, you can tell a lot just by looking at the tension on the webbing or if it's even webbed correctly.