Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Large banner help 4 ft x 20 ft

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by D&D Graphx, Jan 26, 2009.

1. D&D Graphx

D&D Graphx D&D Graphx Modesto, CA

Aug 4, 2008
    Modesto
    I am trying to create and print two 4' x 20' banners in photo shop and the file is way to large can anyone help. The back ground it green and the letters we are doing have a rock look with beveled edge. The banners just has 1000 running horizontally its a easy banner but takes to long to save only one number. I have tried it all the way down to 150 dpi. I never printed anything lower the 300dpi will it look bad. The other banner same way but 4 times the info on it.

Tags:
  2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Wow, that stinks. Can you do anything vector by any chance? I assume you've thought of that, but just in case. That's my only info.

3. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Knock the resolution down to 75dpi, it'll print fine.

4. wes70

wes70 Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Canada
    How close will the viewing distance be? Knock it down to 72 dpi or even less.

5. SignsNowOH

SignsNowOH Member

Jul 16, 2008
    yeah you could either lower the dpi at full size or shrink the canvas down proportionally and up the dpi.

6. Tim Aucoin

Tim Aucoin Very Active Member

Similar situation here... I'm doing a dozen banners 3' x 12'... customer designed in Photoshop. What she did was design them at 300dpi, but sized them in Photoshop to 1/4 scale (9" x 36"). I then simply scale them up when I print them and have no problems. The smaller Photoshop page size makes it easier to work with and save.

7. D&D Graphx

Aug 4, 2008
    Modesto
    Thanks everyone that should help

8. To bad you don't use Flexi. Not an issue.

9. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    ditto
    it's been my experience that something that size doesn't have to be more that 150 or 75 dpi
    also did you try flattening the file or save it as a jpg
    (if you don't have to alter it in illust. just save it as a jpg)

10. Flame

Flame Major Contributor

Apr 26, 2006
    Vancouver
    I hate to ask, but why are you in photoshop? I don't get why people design in photoshop...

(yes, I'll admit I'm grumpy today...).

Can it be pulled off with a better program, illustrator, corel,freehand, flexi... vectors?

Depending on the viewing distance, yes, lower DPI will work pretty good too at keeping the file size small.

11. D&D Graphx

Aug 4, 2008
    Modesto
    I do use flexi 8.5 but I cant get the Custom rock look and beveled edge and shadow that I can in photoshop. If you you can please share. I can mask the rock look I want in flexi but thats it. The customer wants it to look like its been cut out of stone. I have what I need in photoshop I will try a lower dpi.

Thanks again

12. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

You might want to learn photoshop then, there are things you just cannot do in any other program, at least do as well. Photoshop is an extremely powerful design program if used correctly.

13. neonrt

neonrt New Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Photo shop is the best design tool for designers. learn it use and you will be amazed.

14. jiarby

jiarby Major Contributor

Feb 11, 2007
    LOL!

Designers OF WHAT??

Illustrator is the best tool for some jobs.
    Sometimes Photoshop.
    Sometimes a mix.

When the only tool on your belt is a hammer, then every job gets treated like a nail.

Same with alleged designers. If all you know how to use is PS then you end up looking stupid because you are trying to make a 48"x240" bitmap at 300dpi. What'll that be, about a 25gb file!

Learn how to put more tools in your belt, then grab the right one for the job.

15. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    Depending on how much of the banner is taken up by the text, you may be able to reduce file size by bringing the PS file into Flexi, masking it and using vectors for all other portions of the banner. I use this method quite a bit.

That's a pretty bold statement. Photoshop is a fantastic and powerful program, but it is not always the "best" for every instance. What about for logo design? You can always take a vector logo back into PS and add all sorts of tacky effects. But it's not as easy to take a raster logo in PS and convert it to a vector image. Then again, judging by some of the files that come across my desk, you are probably in the majority.

16. Former member

Former member Member

Mar 24, 2006
    a 48" by 240" @75 dpi reduces down to a 4.1 mb jpg. You don't need any more resolution than that to get a great print.

17. wes70

wes70 Very Active Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Canada
    Am I the only one that doesn't use PS?

Everything that I've ever needed to do, I did in coreldraw / photopaint. Have for the past 15 years!

18. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

I DONT USE IT EITHER))))) corel photopaint worksjust as well.

19. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

designing a banner that size at anything higher that 100 dpi is overkill. You will see no noticeable difference in print quality from a 300 dpi to a 100 dpi file.

20. synergy_jim

synergy_jim Very Active Member

I second that.....