• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Banner on Chainlink Fence

bigben

the issue isn't the grommets or the banner, though they will eventually fail over time. the main issue is the force on the posts. they will get ripped or bent like twigs with a large banner. remember a chain link fence is just a big mesh banner with large holes.

I understand this and the customer know it's just a temporary signage. But since for now there is no problem with the banner, I just want to make sure the banner will stay on the fence. The place I buy the stainless tie wrap have a model rated for 485lbs, I have to check if it will go though my grommet.

Andy D

the issue isn't the grommets or the banner, though they will eventually fail over time. the main issue is the force on the posts. they will get ripped or bent like twigs with a large banner. remember a chain link fence is just a big mesh banner with large holes.

I disagree, I have done several large jobs like this and never had an issue, also, many construction sites use a similar green or black
mesh to visually screen the work...of course different places have different weather issues, so maybe in Chicago it would be an issue...

Andy D

I've thought of tie wire, but I did not found any place that would tell me what force it is rated. This is why I've thought of stainless tie wrap and double them. It will, then, be rated for 500lbs per grommets. I have around 50 grommets total and a pack of 100 tie wrap is 46$. The tie wrap are attached to the post and horizontal post, not on the chain wire.

Your grommets will rip out well before your stainless tie's or my steel tie wire breaks...
with tie wire you can "lace" through the mesh, over the horizontal post and the banner's hemm, 2 to 3 times before twisting the ends together,
you need to have as many support points as you can, so even if you use your stainless tie's where your grommets are, I would still suggest
using tie wire in between them....

decalman

I put a pool in my backyard 3 years ago and had to put a chainlink fence up because as we have cedars completely encircling the property I did not want a big solid wood fence blocking the cedars completely.

Once the fence was in we realized that the cedars were not thick enough to stop passerbys on the sidewalk from peering into the backyard so I ordered 5' x 20' or 30' foot sections of 13 oz froest green banners and used nylon ties to fasten them to the fence.

The first year I was amazed at the power of the wind and one big gust you could hear every nylon tie snap and the banner fell to the ground. I reinforced all the ties and used 2 and 3 in spots and the banner has held on for over 2.5 years with very little maintenance...... I also did not put wind slits into the banners..so they are pretty tough.

I had a similar problem with my pool. My neighbors two story house, that was like a watchtower. A privacy nightmare. A haven for peeping toms. and every variety of curiosity seeker.. To make matters worse, their children bounced on a trampoline from sun up, to sundown ...boing ---boing boing--- peering faces over the wall... I designed some nice awnings, that were strategically fitted and placed, and that blended into the landscape nicely. Green and white vertical stripes. 1800 dollars later, Peace and privacy restored

bigben

Your grommets will rip out well before your stainless tie's or my steel tie wire breaks...
with tie wire you can "lace" through the mesh, over the horizontal post and the banner's hemm, 2 to 3 times before twisting the ends together,
you need to have as many support points as you can, so even if you use your stainless tie's where your grommets are, I would still suggest
using tie wire in between them....

Just to be sure I understand. I take the tie wire and perforate the mesh banner? I do this in the center of the print and between the grommet? Does it weaken the material? The problem I have right now is the tie wrap rated at 150lbs all rip and my banner/grommet are still fine. I never thought those tie wrap would not hold up.

Andy D

Just to be sure I understand. I take the tie wire and perforate the mesh banner? I do this in the center of the print and between the grommet? Does it weaken the material? The problem I have right now is the tie wrap rated at 150lbs all rip and my banner/grommet are still fine. I never thought those tie wrap would not hold up.

When I say tie wire, I mean like the stuff in the picture, it's used for many different things but mainly to tie rebar together.
You can find it at Home Depot in the area they sell their concrete, it's around $5 a roll.

I'm assuming that you went with a mesh with the larger holes...If so, the wire will easily fit in those holes.I would only use this on the top, lace it , going through your banner and around the top horizontal post a couple of times and then twist the wire ends.

attachment.php

Attachments

• tie wire.jpg
    tie wire.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 251

nolanola

Another large banner

Hello.
I decided not to create a new thread.
One of our clients wants us to replace their 10x100 feet banner. It will go on a roof of 8 storey building. The images are attached.
Do you think a mesh banner and stainless steel zip ties will make it?
What would be options for a permanent sign that big?

Thank you.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160617_150218.jpg
    IMG_20160617_150218.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_20160617_150244.jpg
    IMG_20160617_150244.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20160617_150349.jpg
    IMG_20160617_150349.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 253

bigben

In my case, I've finally went with 2 stainless zip tie + 19ga stainless steel wire. I know, it's overkill but the customer wanted to be 100% safe. If it were just me, I would go with the 2 stainless zip tie.

bulldozer

I can't tell if there is webbing on that or not...is there? there should be.

Hello.
I decided not to create a new thread.
One of our clients wants us to replace their 10x100 feet banner. It will go on a roof of 8 storey building. The images are attached.
Do you think a mesh banner and stainless steel zip ties will make it?

Thank you.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Forget doing a banner altogether...just put the message in the fence with Solo cups

Attachments

• f99796bbd6d2144abc37076cff680297.jpg
    f99796bbd6d2144abc37076cff680297.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 149

Vinyldog

I put a pool in my backyard 3 years ago and had to put a chainlink fence up because as we have cedars completely encircling the property I did not want a big solid wood fence blocking the cedars completely.

Once the fence was in we realized that the cedars were not thick enough to stop passerbys on the sidewalk from peering into the backyard so I ordered 5' x 20' or 30' foot sections of 13 oz froest green banners and used nylon ties to fasten them to the fence.

The first year I was amazed at the power of the wind and one big gust you could hear every nylon tie snap and the banner fell to the ground. I reinforced all the ties and used 2 and 3 in spots and the banner has held on for over 2.5 years with very little maintenance...... I also did not put wind slits into the banners..so they are pretty tough.

Just create something more interesting on the other side of the road. I lay-out in my speedo all the time, but everyone passing by is always looking the other way at something. I think maybe it's that cedar tree.