• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large Banner on Chainlink Fence

joshGN

8ft x 60ft banner - Will be hung on a chainlink fence....

Standard 13 oz material or Mesh material?

I dont think zip ties stand a chance w/o the mesh...

Insight anyone?

Signs 365

I'd suggest mesh. More often than not our customers choose mesh for these applications. We have a mesh with 37% airflow that works great and can be zipped to the fence through the grommets.

anotherdog

Frankly I doubt the Chainlink fence posts will have a chance.
480 sq ft of solid banner would make for over 10,000 lbs of force in a moderate wind.
At the very least it has to be mesh.

gabagoo

I put a pool in my backyard 3 years ago and had to put a chainlink fence up because as we have cedars completely encircling the property I did not want a big solid wood fence blocking the cedars completely.

Once the fence was in we realized that the cedars were not thick enough to stop passerbys on the sidewalk from peering into the backyard so I ordered 5' x 20' or 30' foot sections of 13 oz froest green banners and used nylon ties to fasten them to the fence.

The first year I was amazed at the power of the wind and one big gust you could hear every nylon tie snap and the banner fell to the ground. I reinforced all the ties and used 2 and 3 in spots and the banner has held on for over 2.5 years with very little maintenance...... I also did not put wind slits into the banners..so they are pretty tough.

anotherdog

I put a pool in my backyard 3 years ago and had to put a chainlink fence up because as we have cedars completely encircling the property I did not want a big solid wood fence blocking the cedars completely.

Once the fence was in we realized that the cedars were not thick enough to stop passerbys on the sidewalk from peering into the backyard so I ordered 5' x 20' or 30' foot sections of 13 oz froest green banners and used nylon ties to fasten them to the fence.

The first year I was amazed at the power of the wind and one big gust you could hear every nylon tie snap and the banner fell to the ground. I reinforced all the ties and used 2 and 3 in spots and the banner has held on for over 2.5 years with very little maintenance...... I also did not put wind slits into the banners..so they are pretty tough.

Can people peep through the wind slits?

If someone puts up something like that to block passers-by peeping they MUST have something worth peeping at.

heyskull

I do not think it is advisable fixing a 8ft x 60ft banner to a chain link fence as it is way to big and it will cause loads of damage either to the chain link or even ripping the posts up.
I have our advertising 20'x5' banner on a fence into our industrial estate.
After 3 years it has had 3 replacements and now requires another.
I used mesh on the second one but it is a wide open space behind and because of the amount of light coming through you could not see what was on it at certain times of the day.
On the second one I put pockets in, but the amount of comments from customers about "why does your banner have holes in it?" and "who has vandalised your banner?" drove me nuts.
I now put 3 ties on each grommet and I will get about a year out of it. It's a banner after all and not permanent.

SC

phototec

8ft x 60ft banner - Will be hung on a chainlink fence....

Standard 13 oz material or Mesh material?

I dont think zip ties stand a chance w/o the mesh...

Insight anyone?

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]For extreme situations (like yours), use STAINLESS STEEL TIE WRAPS, and you will not have to replace them like the Nylon plastic ones. They are much stronger, hold up better, and the sun does not break them down like the plastic ties.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.tiewraps.com/stainlesst_ec_twrappage.html [/FONT]

:thumb:

bigben

For extreme situations (like yours), use STAINLESS STEEL TIE WRAPS, and you will not have to replace them like the Nylon plastic ones. They are much stronger, hold up better, and the sun does not break them down like the plastic ties.

http://www.tiewraps.com/stainlesst_ec_twrappage.html

:thumb:

I know it's a old post, but I have 3 mesh banner 7ftX50ft. I've tied them with heavy duty plastic tie wrap in november. Few weeks later one banner fall off. The banner and all the grommet are still intact. So I've reattached it using stainless tie wraps rated for 150lbs. The customer called me yesterday and told me the same banner fall off, the other two are fine (maybe a wind corridor). Again, the banner and all the grommet are fine. My subcontracted installer make this job, but I've provided the tie wraps. What should I do now? Buy the stainless tie wraps rated for 250lbs and double them?

AaronSSsignsKC

Use mesh Zip Tie at the top and bungee balls at the bottom the bungee will allow the banner to flex a bit in the wind at the bottom as well as the mesh. I have had great luck with this method and we do a lot of large field mesh banners. But it all depends on the fence of course. Most chain link fences we attach to are the large 12' plus high fences that are seen around sports stadiums and complexes i doubt you're standard chain link will like this big of a banner much....

bigben

Use mesh Zip Tie at the top and bungee balls at the bottom the bungee will allow the banner to flex a bit in the wind at the bottom as well as the mesh. I have had great luck with this method and we do a lot of large field mesh banners. But it all depends on the fence of course. Most chain link fences we attach to are the large 12' plus high fences that are seen around sports stadiums and complexes i doubt you're standard chain link will like this big of a banner much....

I've never heard of mesh zip tie and bungee balls, can you provide me a distributor for that kind of products?

Andy D

IMHO, ya'll are making this too complicated, get a roll or two of heavy duty steel tie wire,
you can tie through the grommets and through the mesh where needed.
Also, we always tell customers that all banners are sold as a temporary signage only,
they may last 5 years or 5 days depending on a lot of variables, the only guarantee we offer,
is it will be free of imperfections or mistakes when we install or they pick up.

bigben

IMHO, ya'll are making this too complicated, get a roll or two of heavy duty steel tie wire,
you can tie through the grommets and through the mesh where needed.
Also, we always tell customers that all banners are sold as a temporary signage only,
they may last 5 years or 5 days depending on a lot of variables, the only guarantee we offer,
is it will be free of imperfections or mistakes when we install or they pick up.

I've thought of tie wire, but I did not found any place that would tell me what force it is rated. This is why I've thought of stainless tie wrap and double them. It will, then, be rated for 500lbs per grommets. I have around 50 grommets total and a pack of 100 tie wrap is 46$. The tie wrap are attached to the post and horizontal post, not on the chain wire.

anotherdog

the issue isn't the grommets or the banner, though they will eventually fail over time. the main issue is the force on the posts. they will get ripped or bent like twigs with a large banner. remember a chain link fence is just a big mesh banner with large holes.