• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large format printer/software

jshambhu

Greetings. Looks like there is some good info on these boards so I thought I would pose a question. I work in a museum and we are looking to get a large format (48")printer for indoor and outdoor signage/posters/graphic panels etc. The most versatile printer for indoor/outdoor seems to be the PrismJet Extra by Mutoh. I have read some posts about it here and people seem happy with the quality at the price. I am wondering what software people use to print out of. We are Macintosh based using Adobe products. I was hoping to be able to print out of a plug in or a simple software intermedia. Sign Warehouse wants 3 grand for a software collection that mostly does not apply to us. We really just need to connect to the printer. I realize this is not like printing to a laser printer but surly there is an alternative.
Thanks so much for any thoughts.

MobileImpact

I have an idea! Why not order your signs from me, save your self the expense and learning curve and do what you do best and run a museum.

I was thinking about opening a museum. I don't have the money or the time to put things in it, but can I get some advice on how to get this going?

Sorry to be a wise a$$.
Good luck on your quest.

Ron Helliar

You can design on any platform you choose. Printing direct to the printer from the Mac is the question/challenge. There are more limited RIP options for printing to large format printers connect to Macs than PC's. I would start your search here using that term and searching the net for various options. If the RIP is not sophisticated enough, you will struggle with your output. Too high end and you could be paying for extras you may not need or want. Strictly a business/personal choice, ask a lot of questions.

Bogie

One thing to consider is that you're gonna drop $10K plus on the printer. Possibly up to $15K or so, with software, and that's not counting training for the person who'll be using it.

Just how much signage do you do? And is it interior or exterior? What percentage either way?

Keep in mind that with these printers, if you don't use 'em, you lose 'em. Literally. You have to run them every day or so, or things begin solidifying... So, if you only plan to use it for projects, or sporadically, you're gonna turn it on one day, and find that you have yourself an exhibit for your boat anchor collection.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
I agree. Low usage means high costs.

...these printers, if you don't use 'em, you lose 'em. Literally. You have to run them every day or so, or things begin solidifying...
You can get one of the members here to print what ever you need at a fraction of the cost of doing it yourself.

Bogie

BTW, Dale, did those labels get there?

(I'll give you a yell sometime early next week - have some ideas, and some marketing ideas...)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA................

There is someone advertising a used CJ500 on these threads that produces damn near museum quality prints. Check it out.... otherwise be prepared to spend some bucks.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
On the NEW macs with Intel chips, you can Boot into Windows directly...that opens up lots of avenues for software.

Bogie

Which museum is it, anyway? I'll be in Lexington next week, maybe I could stop by, and you could pick my brain a little.

Bill Modzel

The Mac version of PosterJet is on it's way, . . .at least that's what they tell me. I don't think that Mutoh is a supported printer but I don't know as yet. I'm running the windows version of PosterJet on my MacPro via Parallels at the moment. It was a bit quirky to set up the connections and I often have to restart windows to reconnect to my HP9000 but it does work and is quite fast. Print quality is excellent too.

You might call http://www.scarabgraphics.com/ and put a bug in their ear. Thy are the US distributer of PJ. There are more and more of us looking for a Mac RIP and a bit of pressure couldn't hurt.

By the way, they had a Mac version back in OS 9 which i ran my HP5000 on for a long time. It was good although the old OS left a bit to be desired. Not as bad as windows though.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Greetings. Looks like there is some good info on these boards so I thought I would pose a question. I work in a museum and we are looking to get a large format (48")printer for indoor and outdoor signage/posters/graphic panels etc. The most versatile printer for indoor/outdoor seems to be the PrismJet Extra by Mutoh. I have read some posts about it here and people seem happy with the quality at the price. I am wondering what software people use to print out of. We are Macintosh based using Adobe products. I was hoping to be able to print out of a plug in or a simple software intermedia. Sign Warehouse wants 3 grand for a software collection that mostly does not apply to us. We really just need to connect to the printer. I realize this is not like printing to a laser printer but surly there is an alternative.
Thanks so much for any thoughts.

These are not desktop printers on steroids, they are a whole world unto themselves. Running a large format printer is far more art than science and requires the services of a skilled digital pressman to produce anything work keeping. Packaged software to drive these printers is expensive. It's a very small niche market and the software is reasonably complex.

There is no handy dandy driver that you invoke via the 'Print' button on whatever drawing package you might be using. That's not the way these machines work. The only thing that these printers have in common with desktop printers is that they put ink on media. Eventually.

Even if you know what you're about and you spend a few grand on the proper software, there's one hell of a learning curve with these machines. Most ordinary mortals spend six months to a year, plus or minus, burning up ink and media just to get to a level where they might have a clue about just how you deal with these sorts of printers.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
I work in a museum and we are looking to get a large format (48")printer for indoor and outdoor signage/posters/graphic panels etc. The most versatile printer for indoor/outdoor seems to be the PrismJet Extra by Mutoh. I have read some posts about it here and people seem happy with the quality at the price. I am wondering what software people use to print out of. We are Macintosh based using Adobe products.

It's a little unfortunate since your shop is Mac-based, but that isn't the end of the world. Although Apple has done all it can to support the stereotype that most creative work happens on Mac hardware the company never overcame the fact the sign industry and outdoor advertising industry is largely Windows PC-based and has been so for more than a decade. All the best RIPs are usually Windows-only products. Onyx and EFI are working on Mac products, but it sounds like you need something that is ready to run right now.

If you're going to do a fairly heavy amount of large format digital printing you may want to add another computer to drive the large format printer anyway, and have it be a Windows XP Pro-based PC.

One of the keys is getting the printer and large format RIP software that will work best with your existing creative applications.

Our shop added large format capability just a couple of months ago, after years of carefully studying the issue. We previously jobbed out a lot of work to service bureaus. Customer demand finally reached a point where it was more profitable to produce a lot of the work in house.

Over the years, I have looked at printers from HP, Epson, Mutoh, Mimaki, Gerber and more. Roland's new 54" VP540 printer/cutter and their latest version of the VersaWorks RIP is what got us off the fence.

The new VP540 is more simple to use and maintain than Roland's previous generation of printers. Roland's VersaWorks RIP software has a true Adobe Postscript Level 3 engine and works very well with files generated from the latest Adobe Creative Suite applications.

The VP300 and VP540 aren't cheap, especially if you get the high speed version of the VP540 and other add-ons like the very handy print take up system. Throw in a laminator and you're adding a few grand more to the price.

You can get one of the members here to print what ever you need at a fraction of the cost of doing it yourself.

That depends.

If the printer is only needed once every few days or so, then yes it definitely makes sense to job out the printing project to someone else.

If you have lots of prints to make, enough so that printer is getting frequent use daily, then it may be more profitable to have one operating in house.

Some large museums have their own in house printers to create dozens of banners to hang around the site to promote exhibitions or upcoming events. However, lots of museums need large format output onto unusual material, such as fabrics, for more tasteful looking displays. It often takes a much more expensive, specialized printer to create displays on unusual substrates.

In the end, you're really going to have to think about what sorts of things this printer will need to produce and how often its services will be needed.

MobileImpact

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

A Bit over the Top Impact... :rolleyes:

Maybe, a little. But really I look at it this way. It is another customer gone for whoever is currently supplying their needs at the moment. Lately, there have been quite a few posts of people who are buying a cutter, printer, or crayola to do their own signs in house. The MAJORITY jump on here and seek us to tell them our trade info and secrets to help them out, all the while taking money from my retirement fund, grocery money, gambling funds etc. I wonder if I could walk into the used car lots office and get FREE advice because a bought a $300 car at auction and sold it for a profit.Does that mean I am a Dealer? Does this make me a car salesman...no. Does buying a printer or cutter and a computer make him or anyone else for that matter a sign maker?

What about XYZ sign company that is a block away from that museum, that has been providing $1000 with of prints and services to this same museum for the past couple of years. He has now lost a revenue stream.

This has been discussed here everyday for as long as I have been around. I apologize for the rant, but when I originally posted it was having a horrible day. Not that my feelings have changed, but perhaps I wouldn't have been so harsh.

Kevin

jshambhu

I am in the art department of this museum and not really sure why I even mentioned the museum part except to say I will not be printing bumper stickers and various collateral, just large prints. We do send out a lot of printing but some things just need to be done in house. I am just concerned about spending too much (money is always an object) on software that is not needed. I understand that sending to this printer is not like sending to a laser printer but just hoping that I don't need a full blown RIP.

jr_tech

hp designjet

hi there,

you may consider an HP Designjet 5000/5500 or Z2100/6100 printer. They come in 42, 44 and 60 inch versions.

the require little to no maintenance and print using pigment inks and cost much less than even the cheapest ecosolvent printer. the 5000/5500 series has an option for dye inks but stay away from those if you will be getting any sun.

th ps version of these printers have a RIP built into the printer so there is no special software required. the non-rip version allows you to use an EFI software RIP that runs on macs or pcs.

http://h30267.www3.hp.com/country/us/en/products/large_format/Z2100/solutions/efi_designer.html

when you need an outdoor durable sign or something really large, just ask someone here.

good luck.