• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Large format printer/software

Techman

We do send out a lot of printing but some things just need to be done in house. I am just concerned about spending too much (money is always an object) on software that is not needed. I understand that sending to this printer is not like sending to a laser printer but just hoping that I don't need a full blown RIP.

IF you have to worry about money,, but you want to do it all in house,, then you have conflicting points.

Conflicting points means you must sub it out. Simple. Why would a museum spend money and a system that wont save them in the long run..

Bogie

I am in the art department of this museum and not really sure why I even mentioned the museum part except to say I will not be printing bumper stickers and various collateral, just large prints.

Well, I print bumper stickers, various collateral, and large bloody art prints... On two different printers (altho I did get quite a deal on some vinyl for my Epson 9800 - and next week, I may even try lifting a roll of it...).

These beasties are not going to be happy with sitting dormant and dusty. You gotta use 'em, or you're gonna be explaining to your curator just why you want to exhibit several thousand dollars of "last year's expensive computer budget" as this year's "nonfunctional obsolete pile of occasionally dripping slag heap" (okay... took nyquil, couldn't sleep, so I watched Top Gear, and then wandered by the confuser, and...).

Closest thing one will come to "without a RIP" is an Epson 9800, using Photochop for color management. Works okay, but you're limited to 44" x 90" in size.

Now, which bloody museum is it? There ain't really that many, unless you're counting the outlying areas too... Is it inside New Circle? Or is it more or less inside "frankfort/harrodsburg/nickyville/versailles?"

Techman

you spend 20 grand gettign up and running, then next eyar soem brand new technology comes out that is much better and there you sit with old junk.. Sub it out to a real printer ownder and stay on the cutting edge.