• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Laser Options

bigben

So I start for a laser. I'm looking for a machine that would accommodate a 48in sheet with doors on the front and back. I will mostly use it to cut 3/8in and 1/2in acrylic, maybe 3/4in sometime. I will also do all kind of engraving.

So that been said, where do I start. I've looked for the trotec, but I'm sure there is more options up there.

Thanks.

CanuckSigns

Trotec, Universal and Epilog are the 3 big players. There are also chinese made lasers but i have no experience with them.

CanuckSigns

not a huge amount. Pick whatever one has the closest service centre to you. I know Trotec and Epilog both have branches in Quebec.

We have only ever used Trotec's as i understand it they are regarded as the best of the best.

rossmosh

not a huge amount. Pick whatever one has the closest service centre to you. I know Trotec and Epilog both have branches in Quebec.

We have only ever used Trotec's as i understand it they are regarded as the best of the best.

This is not true. There is a signifcant difference between the manufacturers. Speed, quality, price, table size, and print driver all can be significantly different.

As for the original question: Kern and Vytek are two companies that specialize in larger lasers. If cutting is your priority, it's hard to beat what the Chinese are offering. For $25k you can get a 4x8 machine with 150w+.

Gene@mpls

Ray at Rabbit is good too. The Chicom lasers are good for cutting, but slower at engraving than the big $$$ lasers. Gene

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I have a thunderlaser and I love it, very easy to use and so far has been very reliable and accurate.

Ray at Rabbit is good too. The Chicom lasers are good for cutting, but slower at engraving than the big $$$ lasers. Gene

Do either of you happen to know if the brands you have offer a table that cuts aluminum? I've looked at their websites, but I'm not seeing a list of materials they can cut.
Thanks.

rossmosh

Laser cutting metal requires either a fiber laser or a CO2 laser with gas assist. A while back a decent source recommended CO2 Chinese machines were not exactly the safest metal cutting units. I'd imagine Fiber units would be much safer and not crazy expensive considering fiber laser pricing has dropped considerably.