• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex Printer in apartment?

Jo Hill

does anyone have or has ever had a 64" HP Latex 365 printer in the spair bedroom of their apartment? I do not rent, I own the apartment. I would use the garage but I don't have one. I would rent a store space but funds are low and I want to start someone. I am seriously thinking of doing this to get the ball rolling and I would like ant advice. The bedroom is upstairs by the way...

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Well I've seen too many in small room/closets and yeah... it works?
Imagine you have a loud heater making moisture, running inside. Room will get hot and the water evaporating has no where else to go but into your house. Certain vinyls/glue/whatever and other stuff have pretty good stink when heated, especially PVC-free.

Last edited:

DChorbowski

Pixel Pusher
You need to consider the power requirements. The 365 needs (2) 240v lines like the 700W does, correct? Also consider how you are going to get it into the room you would like, as its a big fat and awkward machine to get around tight corners and god forbid stairs.

Stacey K

I like making signs
The power requirements will stop you in your tracks. I just bought a 315 last year and needed to have my service upgraded to 200amp. It needs 2-200amp outlets which is something an electrician is required to do and you would need permission from the apartment building owner or association. I had some other regular outlets installed also and my bill was $1000.00 for the upgrade and 4 extra outlets.

I think there are other printers that do not require 200amp service. Maybe start with those and do you need a 64" printer to start? My 54" is the size of a twin bed, then you have your computer and the cutter yet. Room will be full for sure.

Stacey K

I like making signs
She may have needed service had to be upgraded to cover the added draw, but yeah it's 2 20amp circuits.
OOPS

The thing I know for sure is you can't just plug it a regular wall outlet, details...schmetails...whatever you guys say is probably right LOL

Brandon708

You need two 220 outlets to run the printer. You will also heat that room up way to much with the heaters on the machine. The 3 series printers give off a ton of heat. I wouldn't do it or advise someone to do it.

depps74

I operated my 315 out of a closet in an art classroom, without ventilation. IT got steamy at times (literally steam billowing out the machine) because it did not have anywhere to vent. Loading it will be a pain in the ass too. Plus you will also need a table at least 60" wide to trim your cuts and room to lay them out if you plan on doing tile jobs. My classroom was small, and I will warn you that eventually I had to move to a bigger shop which is still not big enough with a 500 square foot increase in size. I have a 315 and it's shit for mid tones and black and white.

ikarasu

does anyone have or has ever had a 64" HP Latex 365 printer in the spair bedroom of their apartment? I do not rent, I own the apartment. I would use the garage but I don't have one. I would rent a store space but funds are low and I want to start someone. I am seriously thinking of doing this to get the ball rolling and I would like ant advice. The bedroom is upstairs by the way...
Have you ever ran a printer, or done any printing before?

You not only need the printer, but you need a laminator - It's about as big as the printer. Then you need a table to work off of... 4x8 is the minimum. Depending on what you do, you also need a cutter... It's a bit smaller than a laminator.

Ontop of that it'll hotbox your room - My garage went from Freezing to unbearably hot within 15 minutes of printing.... The heater on the latex's get hot, And they have big fans blowing the hot air out. Turn your oven to 350 F, open it and stand in front of it - Thats how the 300 series feels... Now imagine it in a closed room.

Outsource until you make enough money to purchase a shop - I say this as someone with a printer in their garage... It starts out small, now I have the basement, garage, and an office completely full of equipment, and I'm looking for a shop to move it all into... I regret starting in my garage! Would have been much better just getting a cheap shop and keeping it seperate. Now I get to move a couple tons of equipment out of my house and into a shop.... that'll be fun :roflmao:

Stacey K

I like making signs
Ikarasu makes a good point...can you start with outsourcing for now and see how that goes? I guess we don't know what you are currently doing now.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
216kg or 476 pounds, let's call it 500 pounds. still too difficult to get up a set of stairs and definitely impossible to turn corners in your typical residential apartment
You should look at your own site prep doc that you linked before. It says 450lb and I think that's more accurate for a unit without ink.

And it's not impossible to lift it and move it on stairs. Just difficult but I've seen it done enough.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
this spec sheet says 216kg (about 476 pounds) and the site prep guide says 207 kg (456 pounds) on page 7 but a ~20-pound difference isn't going to matter when you're trying to move ~450 pounds upstairs and turn corners and such
It's not 450 without the legs&takeup&ink&extra weights etc. As I was saying before.
It makes no sense to move it on stairs as whole unit.

UberDapr

Just stopped myself from buying a 315 and running it in my house for the simple reason of "How/Where TF am I gonna move this!?"
I agree with everyone by keeping your shop separate from your living area. The added clutter is just added stress, plus like Ikarasu said, You're gonna need a laminator and plotter on top of that if you want to put out Quality work.
The struggle of wanting to grow and not getting in over your head is pretty thin at times. Just wait till you can find a suitable safe space for your equipment.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: spb

spb

✨鞄➕
even at ~350 without the stand it would be nightmarish to move it upstairs, then once you get it upstairs you have a litany of other issues to deal with (the largeness of it all, heat, power)