• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Latex vs epson 6k

HulkSmash

Well this guy must be a crappy salesman and HP should pull the unit from the dealer...

Weak.............And NO, I don't read much.........I usually skip past all the bullsh!t......

Case

that's just ignorant. Sorry.

Case

much like many of the comments on this thread... some people know everything, don't matter what you say... people are going to be critical of you no matter what you say........

anyone have any questions about the gs6000 or the hp latex printers, let me know... perhaps i can come up with some more ignorant things.......lol

Case

HulkSmash

much like many of the comments on this thread... some people know everything, don't matter what you say... people are going to be critical of you no matter what you say........

anyone have any questions about the gs6000 or the hp latex printers, let me know... perhaps i can come up with some more ignorant things.......lol

Case

He said his vendor told him that. How is that negligent on his part. I really don't understand why he's getting attacked.

I've gotten some solid suggestions on this thread, feel free to add..

cdiesel

I've heard of the latex machine catching fire too. I've personally seen where a latex printer froze up after canceling a print job. While waiting for the printer to wake up (about 10 minutes before we finally pulled the plug to do a cold boot) the heaters were still on and the material was NOT moving. It didn't catch fire, but it did melt the vinyl under the heaters.

Do I think this should deter anyone from buying a latex printer? Absolutely not. Any printer could malfunction and potentially cause some major problems. However, the fact is the potential for some issues caused by intense heat is there. I have SEEN it first hand. Chris clearly stated that he was repeating what he was told. Attacking him for saying that is out of line.

Case

He said his vendor told him that. How is that negligent on his part. I really don't understand why he's getting attacked.

I've gotten some solid suggestions on this thread, feel free to add..

I never attacked the guy, if you look back, he made negative comments to me...
Anyways,

The Epson GS6000 is an awesome machine... 3.7 picoliter drop size is the smallest of any solvent printer out there... The quality and color gamut is unmatched in the price range and speed... Very low maintenance and not much smell... The take up reel is ok... The new machines now come with a new media tensioner in the back to and better tension to help load media straight... The new models also come with better directions for leveling the takeup unit... There is a bar in the core on the takeup so you have to take it off everytime and slide off the core from the bar and put on a new core........Mimaki JV3,JV33, CJV, and JV5's have the best takeup reel of all time.........Just pop cores on and off, no bar in the middle.......... The Epson takeup only goes in 1 direction, you can not put it in reverse...

The HP Latex/L25500 is a great machine as well....12pt picoliter drop size, you won't get the quality of the Epson, but it produces very nice prints still......Instantly dry, user changeable heads, low ink costs tie to the cost of the replacement heads as well..... Compatible with many medias........"FATHEAD" type materials are good with the latex, you can cut into the ink without it curling, unlike on the solvent cutting into the ink and it will curl....I know you cut into Phototex on Solvent without curling, but not the other fathead type of materials.......That is why FATHEAD's are made with UV, cause they can cut into the ink without curling.............. The takeup reel on the latex works fine, but once again there is a bar in the takeup reel....... No a big deal to some, but previous Mimaki user's won't like it as much............. No maintenance really, the machine does it itself with a changeable maintenace kit(caps, wiping, etc)

You can not set an origin point on either printer.......... No automatic cut off on the Epson, The latex has built in cut off............ I could care less myself.....

Latex takes 2-220 plugs, Epson takes 3-110 plugs and pushes 22.5 amps........ You should get a dedicated 30 amp circuit for the Epson....

As to which printer I would get, I guess it would depend on what the majority of my work consisted of.... I think that both printers are really good and would get either one......

Case

Last edited:

HulkSmash

I never attacked the guy, if you look back, he made negative comments to me...
Anyways,

The Epson GS6000 is an awesome machine... 3.7 picoliter drop size is the smallest of any solvent printer out there... The quality and color gamut is unmatched in the price range and speed... Very low maintenance and not much smell... The take up reel is ok... The new machines now come with a new media tensioner in the back to and better tension to help load media straight... The new models also come with better directions for leveling the takeup unit... There is a bar in the core on the takeup so you have to take it off everytime and slide off the core from the bar and put on a new core........Mimaki JV3,JV33, CJV, and JV5's have the best takeup reel of all time.........Just pop cores on and off, no bar in the middle.......... The Epson takeup only goes in 1 direction, you can not put it in reverse...

The HP Latex/L25500 is a great machine as well....12pt picoliter drop size, you won't get the quality of the Epson, but it produces very nice prints still......Instantly dry, user changeable heads, low ink costs tie to the cost of the replacement heads as well..... Compatible with many medias........"FATHEAD" type materials are good with the latex, you can cut into the ink without it curling, unlike on the solvent cutting into the ink and it will curl....I know you cut into Phototex on Solvent without curling, but not the other fathead type of materials.......That is why FATHEAD's are made with UV, cause they can cut into the ink without curling.............. The takeup reel on the latex works fine, but once again there is a bar in the takeup reel....... No a big deal to some, but previous Mimaki user's won't like it as much............. No maintenance really, the machine does it itself with a changeable maintenace kit(caps, wiping, etc)

You can not set an origin point on either printer.......... No automatic cut off on the Epson, The latex has built in cut off............ I could care less myself.....

Latex takes 2-220 plugs, Epson takes 3-120 plugs and pushes 22.5 amps........ You should get a dedicated 30 amp circuit for the Epson....

As to which printer I would get, I guess it would depend on what the majority of my work consisted of.... I think that both printers are really good and would get either one......

Case

thanks! I really think i'm going to go with the epson. I have all the hook ups ready, and from what i hear it's an smoother transition from what i have now. Thanks.

MachServTech

unfortunately, your "facts" are wrong. he does. which is why i called him to begin with. and i even mentioned that "fact" in my post.

do people read anymore?

and mach serv. your all over the place bro. one minute your criticizing, the next are are back peddling with "concern" then back to criticism again. pick a course and stick to it.

Ugh... you make unsupported claims about a product that you claim (by proxy in defending your dealer ("he's gotta be right cause hes not selling the printer") can "burn down a sign shop"

go somewhere else and shout fire....how about a crowded theater?
You sir are a fool of you think you can say something like that and NOT have an latex owner get irritated and concerned.

Thanks for all your help Pro

There is a possible fire hazard in almost every part of the digital print production floor.

Solvents are very combustible, Laminators and Real production machines are High Voltage. UV Curable Lamps are by far the biggest hazard and that never stopped anyone from running them.

Damn anyone ever done a graphic removal with a Big Bertha??

No one should be alarmed or discount a machine because of a possible fire hazard. Take the proper precautions and follow MFG. guidelines. Should be no issues...

Otherwise you will be in your shop making graphics with crayons and laminating them with wax paper...

10sacer

Only the big 10 foot latex requires a webbed leader of about 54". It doesn't go back and forth to dry and it has to heat up so much to evaporate the water from the ink.

jens

i did production with both,
latex it is !! Media Melting ? take some time first to understand the machine and build good profiles for eatch media.