• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Layering Multiple Decals

Dentafrice

I have an order coming up that's giving me a fit. I don't usually do multi-colors for bulk order (250-500).

It's two colors, silver and red. Setup like this:

--- Silver ----
--- Red ----
--- Silver ----

What's the best way to do this? Registration marks/No Reg marks?

Should I do them one at a time, or sheet by sheet, two at a time?

Need some tips from the pros!

Thanks in advance.

- Caleb

iSign

you want meaningful replies, without wasting other peoples time guessing what you are doing?

show the art

Dentafrice

Sorry, didn't mean to waste other people's time. Was running back and forth between the computer and was waiting on the picture from my cell phone -> computer.

Attachments

• inno.jpg
    inno.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 136

omgsideburns

oh, i'd print and cut that on an edge.. or just deal with the waste and cut the silver to size, and stick the red on it but wouldn't want all that extra labor.

Terremoto

Use weed boxes to your advantage. It may use slightly more vinyl but the production time goes way down.

Cut out a sheet of the background material with a weed box around it. Weed it but don't mask it.

Take the foreground vinyl with the exact same size weed box around the individual graphics. Weed, mask and cut it to the weed box.

Apply that to your unmasked background vinyl and then cut those out.

Ready to apply two color vinyl decals in multiples of thousands.

Dan

Dentafrice

I never thought of doing it with the weed box. I always don't think and just weed it too.. some best advice I've seen!

Thanks!

iSign

so, all the silver is still on the same layer.. that's good

yes, use registration marks.. as for one or several at a time.. we don't know sizes, but it all comes down to what you are capable of...

if you use a light table & are a meticulous careful professional, I'd think you could do 5 or 10 at a time, which requires wasting more red, to space them further apart... but I would probably do that

have you got a good system for doing layered work, even if this quantity is new?
You want the transfer tape of the second color to be the final tape... and once you lay the second color... it's taped, and you're done... right? So for that, you would usually space the red as large as the silver anyway...

J

john1

lol that shop is right up the road from me. Good luck layering that many

Dentafrice

Figured out an awesome way and never even realized it. I might document it up later. Makes layering them a piece of cake.

Has to do with my electric stapler once you get them lined up.. thanks guys!

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Are they using these as bumper stickers or something else?

If it's bumper stickers I think you should have them printed.

JR's

Use weed boxes to your advantage. It may use slightly more vinyl but the production time goes way down.

Cut out a sheet of the background material with a weed box around it. Weed it but don't mask it.

Take the foreground vinyl with the exact same size weed box around the individual graphics. Weed, mask and cut it to the weed box.

Apply that to your unmasked background vinyl and then cut those out.

Ready to apply two color vinyl decals in multiples of thousands.

Dan

this is good stuff. :U Rock: :goodpost: :thumb: :thumb:

thanks

JR

you should sub it out to someone with a gerber edge. we have one and it prints silvers/metalics etc. fred is a merchant member on here and he has an edge, he could quote you on these and it would save you soooo much time!

Dentafrice

Anyone do this that can give me a quote, already priced them out for layered.. never subbed out this work before..

Tim Aucoin

Assuming you got that sample from your customer and that's the way they've asked it to be produced? I'd say printing isn't an option unless your customer is open to suggestions? I'd be curious as to the method you've figured out. If it works well for you, please do post it! :thumb:

Crossbones

I agree with Isign. I have personally done 900 layer decals before and currently doing 600 layered ones. Depending on your cutter, all you have to do is use registration marks. Depending on the size of the decal and your cutter. Stack your artwork in rows with reg marks and use weed boxes to make the weeding easier. Apply you mask on one color, pull the backing off just the reg marks and line them up with the 2nd color, then tape it. Pull your backing off and squeegee it on the 2nd color. Cut them out individually after your done and your finished.

Last edited: