• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

layout for new auto shop

Holeshotrob

This is a basic layout for my mechanic's new shop. I have been at this for 3 days and this is all I could come up with! :covereyes: I'm having a real block on this. Any suggestions to offer before I go :banghead:?

Thanks everyone.

Rob

Attachments

• C&R auto.jpg
    C&R auto.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 107

Marco

We keep you moving.

Auto Sales 3.jpg
"We keep you moving" -- I think you can run with this one. ;-)

Attachments

• Auto Sales 4.jpg
    Auto Sales 4.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Malkin

Are you just doing a basic sign layout or also trying to design a logo at the same time?

Marco, I like it (2nd one). OP is right about the red though. The nearly square proportion might not layout well on a typical rectangular sign, so I might lose the checked flag too, although Rob hasn't told us what the specs of the job are yet. (size, location, distance from view, backlit?)

Marco

I only meant to post once -above- but was unable to delete first one so... well u see it twice (lol, same x sorry).

Jillbeans

First one, move AUTOMOTIVE REPAIR up beside the C&R lose the black drop shadow make it a soft grey. Do you have to use red?
Love....Jill

SignManiac

I think it needs a crisper look instead of casual for a professional business look.

Attachments

• C&R Auto.jpg
    C&R Auto.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 104

Marlene

what's with the racing theme? do they work on race cars or family cars? it makes a difference. if you have a Honda with a wing and nitro, this seems like the place to go to get it fixed. if you drive a mini van, not so much. if my Cadi broke down, I wouldn't bring it to a shop with racing flags as it wouldn't seem like the place to go. if this is the kind of shop then the flags and such work. if they want moms with mini vans and old ladies in a Cadi, not so great for that.

SignManiac

Your right Dan, here it is without the drop shade.

Attachments

• C&R Auto.jpg
    C&R Auto.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 104
  • C&R Auto2.jpg
    C&R Auto2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 68

jtrainor56

... if you drive a mini van, not so much. if my Cadi broke down, I wouldn't bring it to a shop with racing flags as it wouldn't seem like the place to go....

Not so, I drive a 07 Honda Odyssey and the wife has a Camry, we take our cars to a speed and custom shop. The owner is older and his pricing is reasonable. In a short distance there are 10 or more repair places like Goodyear and Meineke, which we used at one time or another and his prices are about 1/3 less and he stands behind everything he does. He aslo does body work, my daughter paid less then $500 to have her right fender replaced and painted on a 97 Cavalier, he was half the price of a body shop that Allstate recommended and the car looks great.

Oh yeah, my point is that his sign has racing flags and says Speed and Custom shop!

Dan Antonelli

Dan you are just no fun, I suppose you don't like Italic letters on an arch either??

I crack myself up. lol

Kevin

You don't want my full list do you? I cannot disclose any more as its under wraps for the next book!

Seriously, sorry my comment wasn't more constructive. I just hate to see some of these simple errors made in layouts. If you keep in mind that shadows should generally never be more than 10% or so darker than the color it's sitting on. So if you start with white, add 10% black for your shadow---

Holeshotrob

No, Dan is exactly right! That's my bad for letting the customer dictate to me what he wants, lol! I need to let him know that he doesn't know what he's doing or he wouldn't be coming to me in the first palce. I've known this guy for years, so it's ok to be up front with him.

His colors are loosely burgandy and gold. He just likes those so I'm trying to accomodate him as much as possible. I'll post pics of the sign faces that I'm trying to fit this design into later on, but yes, It's a "logo" but also a sign layout as well.

He moved into a shop with existing backlit boxes and wants me to use them. He's not really picky, but I want to do a good job and my first designs are just not good, imho. Hence, I came to the masters. I like the designs that you all have come up with so far. I'll get back to the drawing board and see what I can do. Thanks again all!