• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Learned or Inherited

Are your ablities as a designer and craftsman learned or inherited?

• Learned

Votes: 25 29.8%
  • Inherited

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • Both

Votes: 53 63.1%

• Total voters

BobM

From as early as I can remember, perhaps 8 years old, I watched and listened to the most talented sign painter I have ever seen. Eddie McLoud was an old time sign writer who used a string, chalk, an old wooden yard stick, a collection of tuna fish cans, old magazines, dozens of One Shot cans, Japan drier, gasoline, a pounce wheel and just plain talent to letter truck bodies and bookmobiles my family manufactured.

I spent endless hours asking him how and why he did everything. How do you layout, center, balance, kern (a word I didn't know then), color, shading, thin paint, thicken paint, speed it up, slow it down and every other question I could think of.

As patiently as he painted, he answered questions much like a college professor would. I don't think I fully understood how much he taught me until I started doing signs and layouts and reading critiques on Signs 101.

I don't know if I have any "artistic" ability, but I don't often make some of the common layout mistakes I see so I guess I learned and I know I'm still learning.

DOGraphics

I agree with the left handed comment!
But I think it is an interest. If you are interested in something you will learn how to do it. I have no interest in learning to work on cars, learn to skateboard or try climbing mountains. Therefore I am NOT good at those. But if I want to learn how to do portraits or watercolors or whatever, I practice and learn how.
That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

^^^ +1 for this concept. ^^^

Bigdawg

Just Me
I grew up in a very artistic household... but not like "artsy"... it was pretty commercial. I think growing up around that helped me have an eye and appreciation for that style of artwork. But I'm not sure I "inherited" it as much as having very early exposure.

You can learn a program... but I don't think you can't learn how to see balance and harmony - either you do or you don't.

PGSigns

I do't think you inherit an ability it is just something you are born with and you have it or you don't. We have an artist in out area that is autistic, and has never had any training or interaction with others in the field. He just picked up a pencil one day and what was on the paper at the end of the day was unbelievable. So there are those who are just gifted in some ways. I do believe you can develop skills and get very good at something that you were only fair at before. But there are some things that no matter how hard you try some folks will never be able to do it. I had a guy working for me while I worked in a wind tunnel that was having a terible tie trying to get a model put together. While trying to get him back on schedule I decovered he could not lok at a set of 2D drawings of the parts and picture the part in his head. He was lost with out help and never as able to develop the skills to put together complex assemblies on his own.
Jimmy

Tharnpheffa

You can learn a program... but I don't think you can't learn how to see balance and harmony - either you do or you don't.

Right. Like you either have an ear for music or you don't. My parents were artists, my mom designed and dad designed and built things. They were both semi professional musicians, playing instruments and singing. We 3 kids are all creative and can carry a tune. My grandfather played banjo professionally and Gram sang. I really think there has to be some predisposition.

dlndesign

I grew up in a very classical music environment from birth until just about 20 years old. My mother was a cellist and my grandmother is a professional violinist I played the sax, piano, drums, guitar and sang in the choir. My 3 uncles, all became mechanics and my grandfather was a sheriff. I wanted to be a football payer until I shattered my arm, and couldn't play anymore. Then I got into writing as something that I could do. I didn't even take an art class until I was a Junior in High School. But I got my B.S. in Graphic Design and I am now a Sign Maker... not sure if its all inherited but I think environment plays a big part.