• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LED replacement for traditional 11 watt bulbs - need recomendations

Rocco G

For the same job I had asked about for the LED cabinet retrofit, the customer also has some 4' tall open faced channel letters populated with 11 watt clear bulbs. They just asked about replacing these with some LED bulbs. It's mainly due to the fact that they are constantly changing bulbs out. They said that they don't think they have every had them all lit at once - approx 450 bulbs. These don't chase or flash, just burn constantly - about 18 hrs a day - and are exposed to the elements.

I have in front of me a GE "energy smart" LED bulb but am looking for some recommendations because this item doesn't specify if it's good for exterior use. With the customer needing 400+ of these it's important that I get it right the first time. I do have come inquiries out with suppliers but would prefer input from those who actually use/service these beasties. After all, a supplier will only push their particular brand.

TBH, I'm not really even sure that an LED item is best. Maybe something else? compact florescent maybe? Fireflies maybe? ;)

Thank for you input.

Techman

I know the pain. Had a number of exterior placed lights that constantly had one dark. Had another series of high placed spots that seemed to need a ladder every 12 weeks for at least one of them. I replaced all exterior lights and high placed lights with LED's over a year ago and have not changed one since. The cost was higher at first but the maintenance is been nada since.