• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LEDs in Flourescent Bulb Light Box

supu249

Hey,

We have a client who has an old light box on their building. We have replaced the acrylic and new printed translucent vinyl. Unfortunately, the flourescent bulbs wont light up. Instead of trying to diagnose the specific problem, I thought why not put some of those LEDs that channel letters have inside them. I have tried to search online, but mostly all i find is long LED tubes that use the existing flourescent tubes mounts. Cant i just glue the LEDs to the back of the box on the inside? I know if need enough LEDs to avoid hotspots. Thanks in advance.

Billy

DSC

petrosgraphics

we retro quite a few boxes, S/F as well as D/F. *the one thing to remember if you decide on the GE tetras, GE has a different output voltage on their LEDs,
24v whereas most other manufacturers are 12v. just be aware of this when servicing the LEDs as well as the power source takes place.

FS-Keith

Jesus Dude.. Take it easy..

We all learned how from someone else at some point..

Exactly, so instead of trying to sell someone on an led conversion becuse they think its the easy way out and just a magic solution why not learn one of the easiest setups to diagnose and fix. It could very well just need lamps, or worst case a ballast or sockets.

As I previously stated if you cannot diagnose a simple fluorescent lamp system I have zero confidence you could correctly wire a power supply,switch, make led jumps in a craftsmanlike manor.

DSC

Exactly, so instead of trying to sell someone on an led conversion becuse they think its the easy way out and just a magic solution why not learn one of the easiest setups to diagnose and fix. It could very well just need lamps, or worst case a ballast or sockets.

As I previously stated if you cannot diagnose a simple fluorescent lamp system I have zero confidence you could correctly wire a power supply,switch, make led jumps in a craftsmanlike manor.

:omg2: Because the guy specifically said he did not want to diagnose the problem with the current setup. :banghead:

ams

I am about to do my first Florescent to LED conversion with the tube LEDs. So I am learning from this post. I've done many retrofits with modules, but never a bulb.
There is a box cabinet on a pole that is 4' X 6' it has (4) 72" bulbs HO. Do I need to remove the ballast and put in a 24 Volt Power supply? Will the sockets need changing also? Thanks

Techman

Rip out the old guts. Throw them away.
Go to your local sign supplier and get a bag of standard 6000k sign grade LED's and a LED 12V ballast.
No need to use expensive tubes. Use a string of LED's
String the 12VDC LED's around the inside of the box. Wire up the 12 volt ballast.

Done.