• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

lets talk about plotters!

LightHouse

Ok, so i have a pcut ( read: POS ) right now its really stressing me out because i am getting bigger jobs and accounts (from my stunning good looks) and my pcut isnt hacking it. it cant cut anything smaller than an inch without looking like crap. I have it adjusted now to cut everything out completley but its still giving me problems. i got a 60 degree from ross and at smaller letters it start flipping peices out which makes for a big aggrevation. I need something alot more reliable and much more accurate...
will a newer better quality plooter give me better accuracy and reliability as far as cutting goes?
Im looking for info now and the only ones i have read up on so far are the Roland camm! pros like the gx 3/400 series, what else is out there?

Also where can i get it from that has great customer support? to bad fellers doesnt sell machines!

thank you for your input.

k.a.s.

Buy a Graphtec, I have had great luck with mine. I also hear good things about Suma's. I would find your most local supplier and look at what they sell, I think personal service and training is valuble.

Kevin

Todd M Castle

You can't go wrong with Graphtec, Roland, Ioline, Gerber or Summa (heck even Anagraph, now APDevices). All 6 are manufactured to specs in which an actual sign business would require. PCuts and plotters like them have their place (in the landfill :Big Laugh ) no but really they are ok hobby cutters but if anyone really wants to make money with a plotter and do business as an actual business then get one of the major 5 (wouldn't call Anagraph a big 5 but is a good plotter) and you can't go wrong. Everyone will give you an opinion on which is best but its always just an opinion remember.

*forgot Mimaki. Also a good plotter. Thanks Chicago

Last edited:

high impact

Pro series Graphtec!!! You can't go wrong with a plotter from one of the "big" boys although they all have their pros and cons. I think you have found out the hard way to stay away from the cheapo china plotters.

ChicagoGraphics

Besides Rolland plotters, there are Graftek, Mimaki, Gerber, and a few others
with our Mimaki we can cut a 1/4" letter with no problem. Although I hardly get anything that needs to be that small. I dont no of any suppliers in Canada
you will have to find one there or close by.

LightHouse

Sorry im not in Canada, im in northern Virginia. Is there any place on the web that compares the pros and cons. i suppose it would be nice to get an optical eye now for when i get into d.printing... but what else do i need to look at as far as the pro cutters go?

Todd M Castle

I posted my general response up top a sec ago but thought I'd throw my offical opinion in the mix :biggrin:

Pro Series Graphtec is what I'd put my own money on if I was looking.:thumb:

high impact

I have the FC series graphtec with the optical eye but never use it. I just put my laminated prints back in my versacamm and cut. I've found that to be much easier then switching machines. However, I could see that the option would be used if you have a printer with no on board cutter or when your printer is very busy.

OldPaint

i know nothing other then ROLANDS. started out with a PNC-1000(any of the PNC***** machines was the PRO LINE FROM ROLAND) unlike the CM/CX/GX/24.
i now have a ROLAND CX-300 and am impressed with the speed/fineite cutting/ and being able to advance vinyl so i know it wont run off track. can also reset pinch rollers(one at a time)in the middle of a cut with out losing spooled info.
since i cut exclusivly DIRECT FROM COREL... ROLANDS are the best!!!!!

LightHouse

Is getting a better quality amchine going to help with accuracy?

i just looked at Summa, they look nice and for quite the money too!

what is graphtecs site?

LightHouse

the d60 looks comparable to my pcut only using better materials, thank you for the link but i think im looking to step up into something heavy duty.

Checkers

If money is no object and accuracy is really important, I would consider Gerber's "sproket fed" plotters. I could cut and weed 1/4" text with no problems and run out a 150' roll of vinyl without any worries about tracking. The only thing is you'll have to go with 15" or 30" material.
BTW, I have a Summa D60 and I'm happy with it. But I really try to avoid cutting small stuff in general. The plotter can cut it, but I don' like to weed it :)

Checkers

Jakob77

the d60 looks comparable to my pcut only using better materials, thank you for the link but i think im looking to step up into something heavy duty.

Well, they're all comparable. Ford vs Chevy, really.

Before I bought my Summa, I wanted a Roland. I couldn't find a used Roland like I wanted, so I settled for the used Summa and figured I'd use it until I could afford to buy a Roland. Now that I know what I know... I will be buying another Summa when it's time to upgrade.

As far as my service experience, I had some problems early on that ended up being mis-matched blades and blade holders due to some after market blades that I was given with the cutter. Summa support worked with me quite a bit for free on my used cutter before finding the problem. The worst case senerio was that I could ship the cutter to them and they would dismantle, clean, test every component, and reassemble for something like $150 plus any parts that were faulty.

I didn't figure they'd even support a used cutter, but they treated me like I had bought a new machine from them. I was very impressed.

It'll cut at 44 inches per second, but I cut everything around 12ips. I've cut some stuff at 44ips just to see if it would actually do it, and the quality was just as good. It just seems like it has to be hard on the machine to cut that fast. The tracking of the vinyl is great, too.

Most everyone seems to like what they have. I would imagine you'll be happy with any of the major brands of plotters.

Let us know what you end up with!

Mark

chopper

Also where can i get it from that has great customer support? to bad fellers doesnt sell machines!

the summa tech support is spectacular all I have to say is when you buy a machine it is covered weather it is new or used (free tech support for life of the machine) weather you are the first or 50th owner how can you go wrong with that????? I dont see my self buying anything but summa as far as plotters go and the thing cuts spot on accurate, they are impressive machines and well worth the money I have a s class d75 and I do not regret it (and I bought mine used) check the fourms you may find a used machine for a good price//chopper

PS>>>I here that the graphtecs are also good machine but I have no experience with them

Matt Cuellar

I have a Graphtec FC-7000 series plotter and LOVE IT! It tracks exceptionally well up to about 13 ft or so and it is DEAD ON, even with really complex cuts. Their support is pretty good, but most importantly, it's very easy to use. Can't go wrong!

Matt

chopper

there is a 48" d120 for sale in the classifieds for 2k I think that is a good deal no opos tho for contour cutting//chopper

LightHouse

thanks chopper.

i think i have semi settled on the graphtec fc7k becasue of the accuracy and i hope customer support.... gunna price it out esp from advantage sign supply in richmond.. anyone have any experiance?

GARY CULY

i have a 30 in gerber for sale in the classifieds ..the men on here will vouch this is a great machine ....check it out