• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lettering Pop Up tents

juan45215

I have a customer who wants the peak of his pop up canopy lettered with a 2 color logo. I don't think we can heat press the letters on, so I'm thinking of hand painting it.
Anyone done this before? What kind of paint will stick to this material without cracking?

Jane Diaz

We had the same question yesterday! I told her to bring it in so we can take a look at it. The problem is with some of those materials is that they make them so that they are water resistant and dirt resistant but that also sometimes makes it impossible to get ANYTHING to stick to them! We will see what she brings us. I know canvas you can paint but I don't believe vinyl letters would be a good solution on any of these awning materials. They take too much abuse being folded and bent.
Anyone out there had experience with this?

Jillbeans

Jane's right, sometimes they are treated with something that paint doesn't want to stick to.
And then sometimes the paint bleeds through.
Usually they need double-coated, so the first coat could be that 1 Shot UV clear in the white labeled can or paint the color of the tent.
Maybe you could use thinned silkscreen ink? That's just a guess.
Love....Jill

Mike_Koval

If you do go the heat transfer route, we supply a product that will work for you.

Solar 210

It is made for low temp applications for poly pro bags, tents and awnings.

humpsigns

If you can hand letter or going to mask it off I would use Jillbeans solution, that,s the way I have always done it.If its treated so paint will not stick use one shot vinyl primer,there is no telling how many cans I used of that stuff. Lot of work and need to watch the drips could get messy.I have also lettered with silkscreen ink, it will also work if that's all you have.

JP4

I'm trying to figure the best way to apply logo to a ez-up canopy. This vinyl paint and primer you are mentioning...what brand and where can I purchase? Do they sell a Thermo flex type material that I could press on? could do it in section.

Thanks!

JP4

Read on some other forum that Solar press media works well. Anyone have experience with this method?

300mphGraphics

Insignia Cloth - This adhesive backed light weight polyester sailcloth is used for insignias and numbers on sails and emergency sail repairs. Sailmakers use it for spreader patches to protect the leach of genoas from chafe by the spreaders. UV coated Insignia Cloth can be used for sacrificial cloth on roller furling sails. Sold by the yard, 54" wide.

http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/prod_detail_list/39

JP4

Ok Folks.....I have are report for you.

I bought a Impact Canopy from HutLive.com. It was a "Commercial Grade "ezUp Style Tent. The Quality was o.k. Considering the price was about $150.00 less that other manufacturers....free shipping.

I use Thermal Flex White and Red on top of Black UV Treated Polyester. Worked great. I used the Thermal FLex suggested setting for garments. I didn't not change my procedure at all. It heat didn't seem to hurt the fabric at all. Worked great!

~JP

binki

We have used both Siser and Thermoflex.

You will notice shrinkage when you press so if you layer or do multiple presses take that into consideration.