• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lexan sign face question

gabagoo

We just stripped down a polycarbonate sign face and anywhere there were no graphics has slightly yellowed..... I did not realize that the sign was not acrylic and now have to wonder if after re-lettering if the colour variance will be that noticeable?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most of the time, if ya turn it around, you won't see it too much, if at all.

When we quote faces only [on signs we didn't originally do], we always explain this possibility as we don't know beforehand what we're getting into. This way, your customer is somewhat prepared.

We're doing one right now, where this happened and the customer said, just let it go, I'll put up with the varying discolorations. Well, I have it in writing, as they always say this, until it's up and then they say..... I didn't know it was gonna look that bad. You never told me. :rolleyes:

Here's your sign.......... :banghead:

Terremoto

Most of the time, if ya turn it around, you won't see it too much, if at all.

Lexan has a side that is UV resistant and a side that isn't. I wouldn't just flip it around. Another thing is that your hanging strips will be on the wrong side if you flip it around.

Dan

gabagoo

As we slowly remove the glue it is not looking as bad as I saw earlier...Nobody gets to close to this, so I am going to go over it...I suppose over time the white will catch up to the off white

Malkin

As we slowly remove the glue it is not looking as bad as I saw earlier...Nobody gets to close to this, so I am going to go over it...I suppose over time the white will catch up to the off white

This will usually happen eventually. I have also been able to reduce the yellowing quite a bit with some Soft Scrub (or similar abrasive cleaner) or a healthy amount of elbow grease.

player

If Comet works on yellowed headlights perhaps the yellowed headlight kits they sell in automotive dept.s will work on Lexan.

dmfahie

Acetone (as a tonel)!.. not sure how to spell it. Polycarbonate is uv on both sides. The reason the have a sun side is that's the side facing out on the spool.

visual800

we have had some bad ones and not so bad. I always warn before lettering it may or may not be a prob. most of the time you cant tell. we have wetsanded a face before with 1200 and then buffed and it got 50% of the bad off and the face worked just fine

Techman

do not reuse it. No way no how..
That slight yellowing will continue to yellow. After some time that yellow will be more intense. The contrast will continue to expand until there is a definite and very noticeable difference that is very distracting.

In other words. It is ugly. Yes, I know some will chime in and say it will be fine. It isn't fine. It is ugly. It may take 20 months to discolor to the point of distraction.