• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lighted sign project

phototec

Lighted sign project, customer wants me to change the face of the sign, but I have never done this kind before, and need some help from the experienced members here.

I have attached some photos of what I will be working with, the metal fixture appears to have a metal frame on the front and the graphics looks like it's applied vinyl over the face which is not a rigid plexi or acrylic, but rather feels like it is a thin skin stretched tight, kind of like on a drum. I have no idea what the material is or where to get it. Outer dimension is 23-1/2" x 118".

Questions:

Anyone know what kind of sign this is and if the vinyl can be removed from the translucent face material?

How is this this translucent material attached to the face frame, and what is this translucent material (feels very thin and stretched tightly)?

How is the translucent material attached to the front of the chrome frame?

Should I just get new translucent material for the front and apply new cut translucent vinyl, similar to the existing sign face?

The outside chrome frame looks pretty beat up, could that be wrapped with vinyl to make it look better?

Like I said, this is the first time I have seen a frame like this and don't know anything about it. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Overall Sign.jpg
    Overall Sign.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Top with hinge.jpg
    Top with hinge.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 171
  • End View.jpg
    End View.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 186
  • End Detail & Close up.jpg
    End Detail & Close up.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 215
  • End Detail.jpg
    End Detail.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 182
  • Face Close-up Looks like Black Vinyl Text.jpg
    Face Close-up Looks like Black Vinyl Text.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Face Close-up Looks like Silver Vinyl.jpg
    Face Close-up Looks like Silver Vinyl.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 161

andy

The face material is a woven flex face fabric which I wouldn't even bother trying to strip... it'll take forever to remove the graphics and it's easy to nick the material which will then cause it to split. Many Flex face fabrics are finished in a similar way to banners.... with welded pockets on all four sides. These pockets accept a metal rod which gives the tension system something secure to pull against... if you put a new face onto the box you can simply copy the old fabric pattern.

The Chrome frame is a cover which is hiding the tension hardware... there should be small rivets or self tapping screws holding it to the main cabinet. Take the Chrome beading off and you'll have access to the internal workings. The tension system is either a cleat based offering, a ratchet design or built with small stainless steel springs. All flex face cabinet manufacturers use a slightly different design but this shouldn't be a problem as long as you carefully record how all the parts fit together and make sure you keep all the tension components ready for refitting the new face.

The existing face will be tensioned in a specific order.... normally you start top left and then work from top to bottom, left to right. Flex faces need to be carefully tensioned to iron out wrinkles & creases... that's why there is usually a tension order which you need to follow.

As for vinyl... you've got to be careful which type of film you use. As the name suggests this is a flexible substrate system which will move and stretch. If memory serves there is a special type of back lit flex face vinyl which is more like a banner vinyl... it's designed to stretch with the fabric. Printing would be an easier option but the key thing is ink coverage.... if you don't get enough ink on the fabric it looks a mess when it's back lit.

I can't see why you couldn't wrap the Chrome beading... it's just aluminium with a Chrome plate finish.

If I were you I'd find someone who printed & finished flex face panels.... take out the old material, box it up & FedEx it over to them and they'll have a pattern which will ensure a pretty easy transition from old face to new.

phototec

Andy, thanks for the info, you are right on, looking closely at the white area between the silver vinyl on the background and the black text, the material kind of looks like it has a very fine fabric texture coated with PVC.

Who is the manufacture of woven flex face fabric, and is this the correct name of that type of material so I can do a Google search?

My Google search for "Flex Face light box sign system" only list companies in the UK, I'm in Texas.

Now that I have a better understanding of what I am dealing with, I will attempt to open the cabinet and see what kind of stretching system is used.

Thank for the detailed explanation, exactly what I needed.

:thankyou:

phototec

Hey Guys, can anyone give me some help?

Where can I get some flex sign face material?

What type of translucent vinyl should I use?

Thanks

MikePro

check with your supplier, if you have one that supplies banner material... they'll know what flex-face material for illuminated signage is and can most likely sell it to you by the short roll.

we use UltraFlex brand, i believe. if you get to use the old the sign, you can most likely reuse the clips that attach/stretch the flexface to the sign. Vinyl used is no different from any translucent vinyl you currently use. If part of the sign is not meant to light, we use a layer of opaque vinyl on the face combined with a layer of black applied to the back with the illuminated portion weeded out.

as far as taking it apart, there's most likely a frame that you can remove to expose the flex-face mounting system. they should be just a series of clips attached to the flexface that unscrew from the sign cabinet.

phototec

check with your supplier, if you have one that supplies banner material... they'll know what flex-face material for illuminated signage is and can most likely sell it to you by the short roll.

we use UltraFlex brand, i believe. if you get to use the old the sign, you can most likely reuse the clips that attach/stretch the flexface to the sign. Vinyl used is no different from any translucent vinyl you currently use. If part of the sign is not meant to light, we use a layer of opaque vinyl on the face combined with a layer of black applied to the back with the illuminated portion weeded out.

as far as taking it apart, there's most likely a frame that you can remove to expose the flex-face mounting system. they should be just a series of clips attached to the flexface that unscrew from the sign cabinet.

MikePro, thanks, I need all the help I can get, this is the first one like this for me.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

iSign

Search "flex face" here on signs101...

I'm also doing my first flex face this month, except I'm just a little ahead if you in the process... I removed the old 4x12 face (20' above ground) bought new "Cooley" 20oz fabric, trimmed to match the template from old face, and salvaged and reapplied all clips on the new face...

What I haven't done yet is try to reinstall it, and somehow remove or avoid any wrinkles from irregular tensioning...

I was planning to start a thread today, because I've been trying to reach a signs101 member for days, to pick his brain about the proper installation technique...

I may still post a thread, but will also keep my eye on this thread...

Oh yeah... Do that search... Someone else posted just last week on this...

John in Cali

Add at least 6 inches to the diameter of the lightbox. You will need the extra material to pull on when stretching over the retainer system. After installation of the flex face, trim off the excess.

MikePro

hardest part, is tightening it. one clip at a time, then its opposite, and repeat. pray to god you do it right the first time, because going back out to re-tighten a face you've installed... just plain sucks, your profit.

Sign Eagle

We did a few indoor signs like that and just used 13 oz banner fabric, worked fine. I would assume it woud work outside as well. Tensioning is a pain, but I think there is a tool available that makes it easier.

phototec

Search "flex face" here on signs101...

I'm also doing my first flex face this month, except I'm just a little ahead if you in the process... I removed the old 4x12 face (20' above ground) bought new "Cooley" 20oz fabric, trimmed to match the template from old face, and salvaged and reapplied all clips on the new face...

What I haven't done yet is try to reinstall it, and somehow remove or avoid any wrinkles from irregular tensioning...

I was planning to start a thread today, because I've been trying to reach a signs101 member for days, to pick his brain about the proper installation technique...

I may still post a thread, but will also keep my eye on this thread...

Oh yeah... Do that search... Someone else posted just last week on this...

ISign, yes, you are ahead of me, I have found the "Cooley" 20oz fabric, sold by the yard. I will have to call them on Monday to get a cost.

http://www.nepcosignsupply.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5657&idcategory=1720#details

Yea, we need to find someone who knows about the correct tensioning procedure. I can see that it needs to be done correctly, or it will not been evenly tight.

On the sign I'm working on, the old "Cooley" fabric, is stretched as tight as a drum.

I will open my cabinet up on Monday to see what kind of tensioning system is securing the fabric.

I look forward to reading your thread.

iSign

I won't be doing a thread asking how unless i really screw up bad at 8am tomorrow..

Sticky signs sent me this link which was real helpful, since I bought the $50 tool, but wasnt' yet sure how it worked until I watched this...

I'll take some pics & maybe post after the fact...

Jillbeans

I did a sign like this about 2 years ago (lettered only)
It's for my brother's company, which works on/maintains signs and awnings, etc.
They ordered the flex face in from N Glantz, and they did all the stretching.
I just came in and stuck the translucent vinyl.
This is when I was still running the 4B and I had to fricking piece the big stuff....not fun.
But the sign (8'x12' d/s) turned out nice looking even if their logo is icky.
Love.....Jill

shakey0818

I won't be doing a thread asking how unless i really screw up bad at 8am tomorrow..

Sticky signs sent me this link which was real helpful, since I bought the $50 tool, but wasnt' yet sure how it worked until I watched this...

I'll take some pics & maybe post after the fact...

:goodpost:
Great link Doug thanks.I remember around 10 years part of the Cooley plant here in RI had a fire and i did the restoration work.They gave me all kinds of samples and were very nice people.

phototec

ISIGN, looks great, I can't see and wrinkles :thumb:

Wow, is this weird, you said this was your first flex face sign, which is for a tire store, and my first flex face sign is also for a tire store, "EZ Tire & Lube".

Ok, I hit a snag, now that I have opened the lighted sign cabinet and removed the outer metal frame I can see the flex fabric attached to the inner-frame, and there are NO clips, instead the flex fabric is STAPLED to the stretch frame.

I thought I had it all figured out and would do like ISIGN suggested, remove all the clips and re-use them, and tighten the the clips using the tool.

Now I don't know what to do, how do you stretch the flex fabric and staple it to the frame? Or is there some different type clips that will fit into the groove where the staples are located?

Attachments

• Flex fabric stretched on frame .jpg
    Flex fabric stretched on frame .jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 168
  • Flex fabric stretched stapled to frame overview.jpg
    Flex fabric stretched stapled to frame overview.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 219
  • Flex fabric stretched stapled to frame.jpg
    Flex fabric stretched stapled to frame.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 199
It's just like stretching a canvas. Take all the old staples out. Start on one side and start putting staples back in. After you get past the first side you'll need one person to stretch and hold the material while another staples. Really not that hard.

We used rivets instead of staples, but same principle. We also use sheet metal pliers like these to help hold the flex in place until it is secured.

Attachments

• pliers.jpg
    pliers.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 170