• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lighting an Acrylic Sign

SAR.Summerlin

So just an update if anyone is still following this thread. We got the project done and installed it today. I have attached a picture for you to see and it looks amazing.

Attachments

• Finishes Photo 1.jpg
    Finishes Photo 1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 141

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Looks good.

An extruded frame is a good way to hide the LED's. A 1" deep frame, ½" at the bottom is for the LED strip to sit in, the other ½" is for the acrylic to sit in.

MikePro

that looks great! such a cool and easily added effect for a sign, engraving the glass/plexi to catch the light.
I was going to reply that you could go with LEDs, to keep a small profile, but then realized you were posting the completion photos from the OP :)

...aaand that, if you used a LOT of LEDs, you could go BIG!
attachment.php

SAR.Summerlin

We ended up buying led strips from lumenedge.com (I give them many :thumb: for customer service) 2 of them one on the top and one on the bottom plus two reflective strips on the ends to give it a framed look. We found a local guy who had closed his business but still had his laser and did the etching for us then we laid cut vinyl letters on the front had the edges polished. Yes this was our first edge lit and it is large 6'x30" would never do one that big again if we can avoid it but WOW what a great effect. Everyone was awed by it when we finished even our installer/sales guy who has been looking at the thing for months as we worked on it.

SIGNTIME

i know there is a chemical made for etching glass, ive never used it but i wonder if that would work for this type of sign

Techman

i know there is a chemical made for etching glass, ive never used it but i wonder if that would work for this type of sign

Chemical etching is hard to get right.. there will be swirls in the etching.