• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lines in Roland printjob

johnci

I have a Roland SC-540 and lately when i print sth starting from the right side it leaves lines for about 40-50cm (see photo) and from then on the printing improves and the lines disappear. It is as if it doesn't give the right amount of certain colors. I have also tried starting the printjob further away from where it usually begins printing (about 50cm from the right side) but again it does the same thing.

Any ideas for what could be causing this would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• DSC00101.jpg
    DSC00101.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC00108.jpg
    DSC00108.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC00109.jpg
    DSC00109.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 88

petepaz

what media are you printing on
vinyl?
white or clear?
could just need a cleaning
or try switching to high quality print
actually the third print doesn't look bad

johnci

I print on white vinyl on high quality and i have cleaned it. The third print is printed after the 50cm from the right which is ok just to show you that it does it only on the right side.

If the problem clears itself up as you print, I would suspect that clogged nozzles are the source of the problem. If the problem occurs on one side of the media only, then I would suspect a media problem, or possibly not loading the media properly.

I have seen surface problems on the left side of specific rolls of Avery 1005 EZ media...

Another thought is that you could be overheating the stationary media while the heaters are coming up to temp, and as the printer begins to print, the problem dissipates due to media movement. Try lowering the heater temps if this is the case.

Bob

Last edited:

johnci

The problem occurs on one side of the media but it isn't a media problem. And it isn't the temperature problem because i have do many examples with high and low temp.

SoCalN8V

I'd be interested in a solution because we are having the same problem. We did the powerful cleaning several times and the test print get worse. Our black, yellow, Light Cyan and Light Magenta are all getting worse. We had a similar problem a few months ago, and the Roland tech told us to keep printing and it should clear out. I'm going to work on this all morning to see if it clears up. But, I'll also keep track of this thread to see if there are any solutions.

Jack Knight1979

Powerful cleanings aren't the best thing to do. They are hard on the heads. I don't care what anyone tells you they are. It's better to two two medium cleanings.

Do a head soak. Then a medium cleaning.

Another thing you can do it make a graphic of 4x4 inch squares of CMYK.

Open up your rip and print them with no color calibration and no ink limit. This will usually clean out the heads pretty well. If the problem continues you may need to change out your dampers.

mark in tx

Looks like an ink starvation problem, especially if it clears up after a few feet of printing.
Dampers and capping stations, possibly up to the extreme of a system flush and refill.

SoCalN8V

I soaked the print heads and did a couple of CMYK printings and it's better - not perfect, but a whole lot better.