• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Liquid Laminates for UV digital print on aluminum

Turnergraphics

I'm putting a UV digital print on some outdoor aluminum sign blanks and planning to roll on Marabu's Production Clear liquid laminate. I'll wipe down the sign blanks with denatured alcohol before printing. Marabu says to test the liquid laminate first, but the tech at Marabu was not convincing that it's going to work well on aluminum. Is this going to work or am I about to create a headache for myself?

Richard T

gregwallace

Never tried uv coating aluminum. The production clear is made for better adhesion on difficult substrates like coroplast. If you don't mind me asking, where do you get your uv coating from?

artbot

so you will print on raw aluminum the coat with a liquid overlaminate? no way. total failure.

if you must print on an aluminum finish, at least use dibond which already has a tested coating over the aluminum so that both your ink and laminate will have something to bind to.

liquid clears for aluminum are extremely tricky. it's taken me 12 years to develop my own coating. and the ones that work require special application and are extremely hot solvent based.

just because it looks good and doesn't scratch off means nothing. the aluminum will build an oxide layer under your print and clear coat over the year/s and the print will lift off like a pretty rainbow snow flake.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For the most part, aluminum expands and contracts at a very rapid speed. Your vinyl will not and your liquid laminate even less, unless it is a water-based clear. Then you have 1/2 a chance. Clearshield has a nice water-based clear, so you might wanna check it out.

tbullo

Superunknown
I have used Clearshield on many outfield fence panels. These were printed vinyl onto aluminum. These mostly stayed out for 2-3 years, so we have had no issues.

CreatedDesigns

The only waterbased clear coat from PPG has to be forced dried at 140 for 40min and cannot be air dried. But maybe some of you have a heated booth. Also I have a Envirobase system but have never used the waterbased clearcoat.

rubo

was fighting the same issues last couple of months - here is what I have so far - 3 different flatbeds:
HP (don't know the model) 60" machine prints on dibond brushed aluminum - tried automotive clearcoat, Marabu coating - none worked, bubbles up the ink, the image pills off the surface.

Flora and Gerber - had the prints done today, same media, Marabu ClearShield water based liq. lam an hour ago - so far so good, the stuff dries as I write this, no bubbling or anything of sorts.
The prints will be indoors, not much handling - just hang them up and take them down for the show. I hope it will work - my printer is broken so I'm running around different shops trying things - I print on aluminum with waterbased inks and everybody is happy

Turnergraphics

I appreciate the tips. Still not sure what to do since Artbot says the aluminum will oxidize under the liquid laminate clear coats. I assume clearshield is just such a liquid laminate. I'll be coating a UV digital print on Dibond. I was hoping to make a very durable outdoor sign. I'll look for a waterbased air dry 2 part automotive clear coat I suppose.

Turnergraphics

just because it looks good and doesn't scratch off means nothing. the aluminum will build an oxide layer under your print and clear coat over the year/s and the print will lift off like a pretty rainbow snow flake.[/QUOTE]

When Artbot says it will flake after coating, do you mean even on Dibond?

Turnergraphics

I'll call some these automotive coatings companies and report back what they say. I spoke with one today but I don't remember whether he said it was water based. He did say it would air dry in a day.

artbot

i mentioned peeling because the original entry mentioned an aluminum blank. that would entail working with raw aluminum (which i do and have for years).

dibond on the other hand has a polyester coating that will not peel/oxidize off of the substrate. so you're good there.

one other thing, when spraying uv cured ink, it can often need an adhesion promoter before clear coating. some of these ink crosslink into a "non-stick" plastic. after a lot of testing, i prefer good old bulldog adhesion promoter in the giant spray can for small/medium jobs. i've done side by sides with about five different ones and bulldog worked the best.

one (often hated) clear that will not attack your ink is frog juice.

so, this is indoors? i thought it was outdoor. outdoor clear coating is much touchier than indoor.

CreatedDesigns

I just logged in to my accounts with PPG, Dupont and BASF and only PPG has a waterbased automotive clear. Not sure what paint manufacture you called but these three you can cross of your list.