• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo and Name combined whatcha think

iSign

...I have been in business since I was 17 and now I'm 39 and have had a strong faith business every since I started
and it has not hendered me yet...

well, drug dealing is a business too... and although I ain't sayin' what I was doing at 17 ...in your other thread you are saying what you wasn't doing at 17

...and what you still wasn't doing at 37

...and what that is, is that you wasn't running a sign business!

New to the sign business in the area of design, been installing for awhile friend had a shop and couldnt make it work so I bought him out and he started working for me.

..so, maybe since you are asking a bunch of seasoned veterans what they think of your recent business decisions... it might be a good idea to be a little more open minded to the possibility that your 22 years of irrelevant experience, may not justify ignoring all the relevant experience behind the advice you receive here.

...I think the main point would be that your work and the manner in which you run your business in is what creates your clientel.

...I think the main point would be that your faith, and the manner in which you run your faith is what makes your salvation...

and maybe... just maybe advertising your faith like a business is not best for your salvation, or the salvation of your business...

But I can tell you if there are people that do not want to do business with me because of my name without getting to know me or my staff is their loss.

wow! ...you could be right!
...you could be so right that "their loss" will be so severe as to never have your sign company to consider doing business with again.... for eternity! ...because it may cease to exist due to "their" loss!!!!

...now if that ain't a cold day in hell :omg:

Last edited:

signmeup

I think John Butto put it in it's simplest form. How many of you would shop at John's new store? (show of hands please)

Joe Diaz

Interesting how many folks jumped on the opportunity to crit his faith as opposed to his logo....

Ya'll should maybe give that some thought.

Criticizing his faith? I don't see that. Seems to me the critiques were focused on his choice of name in addition to his logo, which he asked for BTW. Some of us are just trying to help. No offense but have you commented on either the name or logo? No? At least we were.

But I can tell you if there are people that do not want to do business with me because of my name without getting to know me or my staff is their loss.
Technically it's your loss too. Loss of business that is. Doing business with others is not always just about you. It's full of compromises and meeting others halfway.

You probably already know this, but you won't always agree with your clients on everything. It is hard enough to come to an agreement on design with most people, I can only imagine what bringing religion into the equation might do. The goal is to create a partnership where both parties benefit from working together, despite their differences. You make a living from the money they provide you, they gain a product that helps them make their own living.

When you step outside of the world of keeping things strictly professional and muddy the waters with personal beliefs and feelings, whether you like it or not, you will alienate some potential clients. Because for many people when it comes to faith, there is little or no compromise.

Ask yourself this: If today was the day you changed your name to something that had nothing to do with your faith, would it make you less of a Christian? Probably not. right? Well those churches stop coming to you for work? We don't advertise our faith, and churches in our area come to us for work. Is there a chance that you might open the door to more work and build a larger clientele? I think so, and I think that is what others are trying to tell you. This is no attack on your beliefs, It's honest advice that I believe will really help.

WildWestDesigns

Interesting how many folks jumped on the opportunity to crit his faith as opposed to his logo....

Ya'll should maybe give that some thought.

I didn't see anything knocking faith specifically, however, he has interlocked faith with his logo that I can see were that would happen.

However, this is what brings me back to my point about people not going into his shop due to the logo and not being honest about it, because immediately the "religion card" would be played.

I did one logo for the so-cal FTE group that had a bikini clad blonde with a 50s style truck on the beach (FTE is a ford truck group). I would think twice about taking it to his shop to get something printed, because that may not be something that he would want to do considering his over emphasis of faith. He might not have a problem, but given his logo and name, it would be greater then a 50/50 shot that he would. That isn't anti-faith, that's just the appearence that he gives and that is how I believe that his name and logo is hindering him.

If he is serving a niche market, ok, but he will have to worry about not getting too specific of a market as well.

Flame

Faith based business = good way to trick church going soccer moms into exclusively shopping with you, despite your quality or pricing structure.

I refuse to shop with them, and I consider myself a Christian.

Just my $0.02 :peace!::popcorn:

Last edited:

OldPaint

mason must be smokin somethin........NOT ONCE in all the posts did anyone dis him for his religious beliefs!!!!!
we got guys here in pensacola, standing on the corners of the busiest intersections, spewing bible passages, at the top of thier voices. i guess this is some kinda behavior they are taught at the CHRISTIAN COLLEGE, that seems to be whos behind their insane behaviour. got em here with bible verses plastered all over their cars. some with those kinda signs in thier front yards. now these people i question their sanity!!!!!! and i pray god goes easy on them))))))))).
like i said, ITS THE HOLY-ER then thou attitude, the op made "I can tell you if there are people that do not want to do business with me because of my name without getting to know me or my staff is their loss."
TOTALLY EGOCENTRIC!!! you and your staff........ARE THE GREATEST THING EVER????
IF....YOU had a sign, as any SIGN SHOP, without an ulterior motive...IN YOUR NAME, then those WHO MIGHT NOT come into a RELIGIOUS SIGNED sign shop, dont come in there BECAUSE OF YOU AND YOUR NAME!!!! dont lay it on the customer for never getting acquainted with you, BECAUSE your sign tells them YOU ONLY WANT LIKE MINDED PEOPLE, same as you to patronize your business. and ITS YOU WHO DONT THINK THOSE WHO DONT BELIEVE AS YOU DO.........arent worthy of YOU & YOUR STAFF............wasting YOUR TIME!!!! what ever happened to MARK 16:15??????

tintwizz

Faith

Well I knew this would open up a debate,and like I said earlier thank you for your specialized info but know where did I say that I would not do work for certain jobs or people for that matter I do work for all walks of life,I dont discriminate or do I throw my beliefs on people that walk in my door but have had some people walk in that has probably never stepped into a church and have done work for them and have had them approach me and ask ?s and that opens the door for me to explain why I do run my shop as a christian and where my life has changed.But all your points are noted. I guess I would rather be upfront with people instead of being anti-faith or pretending and take money from people. All that matters is that I am happy with my business and choices , what works for some wont work for others.

OldPaint

wellll thank you for gracing us with your time and thoughts.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BACK TO POST #31:
so there you have it folks...............all the posts here where for NOT!!! hes gona do what he thinks. and to use HIS OWN LINE............."I can tell you if there are people that do not want to do business with me because of my name without getting to know me or my staff is their loss."

WildWestDesigns

Well I knew this would open up a debate,and like I said earlier thank you for your specialized info but know where did I say that I would not do work for certain jobs or people for that matter I do work for all walks of life,I dont discriminate or do I throw my beliefs on people that walk in my door

It's the appearance of your name and logo that might give be the impression of you doing those things. Remember, signage is the hook that gets people in the door. Some will read things into it that going to your shop may not be the best place to go. Not because they are anti-religion, but because they do not know how you would take it them bring in certain copy for you to do work for. It might actually be out of respect as well. I mean I don't know, but would you do copy for a nudie joint wanting some flyers done(or whatever products you offer)?

I guess I would rather be upfront with people instead of being anti-faith or pretending and take money from people.

No one is asking you to pretend on any front, however, just be aware that if you weren't here to explain that signage that you drew, I would have thought that all you specialized in was faith based signage. I'm not knocking it, I'm not anti-faith, but that's what I would have genuinely thought that's all you do. As such, I wouldn't be doing much with you.

I would have never known that you did other copy or where you bounderies were with other copy, because of the presentation of your sign.

That to me is an honest mistake that had no malice to it.

Everybody is way to quick to play the "religion card".

iSign

Dont lay it on the customer for never getting acquainted with you, BECAUSE your sign tells them YOU ONLY WANT LIKE MINDED PEOPLE, same as you to patronize your business, and ITS YOU WHO DON'T THINK THOSE WHO DON'T BELIEVE AS YOU DO.........aren't worthy of YOU & YOUR STAFF............wasting YOUR TIME!!!! what ever happened to MARK 16:15??????

WOW OP...

employing the literary devices of both double entendre and double negatives in the same run on sentence.. that's a double whammy! :rock-n-roll:

iSign

OP doesn't think that the other guy does think that someone who doesn't think like the other guy doesn't do business with someone who does think differently, because the business owner doesn't think the same as he does!

WildWestDesigns

OP doesn't think that the other guy does think that someone who doesn't think like the other guy doesn't do business with someone who does think differently, because the business owner doesn't think the same as he does!

Which sounds very reasonable to me.

Custom_Grafx

But there are bubbles, I can see them!

"have faith father... give it a couple o' days".

... said the midwife to the bishop.

signswi

Conversation on the name aside the logo is really, really bad. It's not even a logo. Kind of looks like it should be an animated gif and posted on someone kid's myspace page next to glittery unicorns.

Marlene

putting eveything aside and looking at the logo, I would say it doesn't work as there are just too many special effects. it never really works to use something for a letter in a word no matter what it is. the cross could work as it is, at least "t" shaped but with the fish, it is just too much. the lettering is overly done with special effects too and there's no focal point as it looks like you tried to make everything a focal point and when you do that, it works the oposite way and nothing stands out.