• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo and Name combined whatcha think

tcorn1965

I am not a designer. What would it look like if you took out the I and put the fish there instead , removing off of T and scaled to size instead?

Terry

Last edited:

Techman

I did some work at a local faith based group. It was a two edged cut. Some good was done within it but I also became very limited to just the members of that group. Other faith groups either did not like this one or they would never cross over.

I also heard sayings such as any co that uses their faith as a means of doing bizz should be avoided. Or a true believer would never use symbols of his faith to promote his business and other such sayings. Or, anyone using religious symbols for a bizz needs to be watched with both eyes. But that is just them...

Back to the logo. It will not work well in print ads. The black back ground buries it out. That "A" on a sign will be very hard to read at a distance. Its left leg is very thin. Thin means very difficult to machine, if used an a back lit it will completely disappear.

The goth look of the cross could turn off a few.

I like it in any event. Some nice work..

OldPaint

nice logo for a CHURCH!!! not a sign company. i did a trailer for a guy in sarasota when i lived there. HIS painting co. same type a thing youre doin............i dont think he lasted a year. get another name, put the little fish in youre sign/business card somewhere BUT NOT THE MAIN COPY!!!! those who would be interested in your religious affiliation would notice it, those who could care less.........wont!!!!!!

ProWraps

ahhhhh... brings back memories. i loved that first copy of photoshop 3 i got with the alien skin plugins...

Mason

Interesting how many folks jumped on the opportunity to crit his faith as opposed to his logo....

Ya'll should maybe give that some thought.

signmeup

Interesting how many folks jumped on the opportunity to crit his faith as opposed to his logo....

Ya'll should maybe give that some thought.
I commented on this: "Logo and Name combined whatcha think"
I thought the religious name was a bad idea and the logo looked odd because the sub-copy didn't go with the main copy. I thought that's what he wanted to know... what I thought.

grafixemporium

I didn't see anyone criticizing his faith at all. Maybe I missed something? Nothing wrong with being a proud Christian. But I agree it isn't the best approach to branding a company. It is definitely off-putting to a large segment of your potential market and crippling yourself from the get go. On top of that, I personally feel it's somewhat hypocrytical when I see companies using their faith or religion to market themselves for profit. I'm pretty sure that's a sin on some level. If it's not, it should be.

Imagine if you saw a company called "Cleaning Pools For Jesus". Really? Are you really cleaning pools for Jesus? Not likely. You're cleaning pools to make money. Sure, you may tithe some of that money to a church or charity - and that's great - but you'd still be cleaing pools for a profit.

My 2 cents... ditch the name and come up with something equally catchy yet more widely appealing. Then when you design a logo for that brand, make sure to keep things simple. Lose all the crazy chrome Alien Skin effects and shimmery glowing backgrounds. A good logo doesn't need all that to be effective. Focus on a design that will work in every medium... screen print, embroidery, digital print, etc. Take another look at your logo attempt. It looks like you spend 8 hours getting every little detail on the Faith part and then 8 seconds typing "Signs & Graphics, Inc". Put some thought into that too. Make it unique. Make it yours.

tintwizz

Thank you for all your crit and input, it is greatly appreciated. All of you have some valid points but as far as my logo and name affecting my business I have been in business since I was 17 and now I'm 39 and have had a strong faith business every since I started
and it has not hendered me yet I think the main point would be that your work and the manner in which you run your business in is what creates your clientel. But I can tell you if there are people that do not want to do business with me because of my name without getting to know me or my staff is their loss.

Thanks once again for all your input!

OldPaint

so there you have it folks...............all the posts here where for NOT!!! hes gona do what he thinks. and to use HIS OWN LINE............."I can tell you if there are people that do not want to do business with me because of my name without getting to know me or my staff is their loss."
so why did you even ask for our opinions???? i hate to sound cynical, but aint that sorta of a "holy-er then thou attitude?"

Jillbeans

...I also wonder if he is the guy in the website to whom SignManiac was so gracious and tactful. Bob's question wasn't even acknowledged. I'm glad I didn't work up a mock up suggestion for him, I had a cool idea.

signmeup

What the heck is a "faith business"? I thought it was for a sign shop.

To be fair, he didn't ask for suggestions on making it better/more appropriate, he just asked what we thought. Seems to me most of us thought he should re-think it. His loss to ignore us.

SlightlyChilled

I have a hard time with people that have a religion out in the open. I don't care what it is. I feel it should be held in side close to your heart so no one can see it. I would love to see his old logo.

thanks for stopping by.

WildWestDesigns

All of you have some valid points but as far as my logo and name affecting my business I have been in business since I was 17 and now I'm 39 and have had a strong faith business every since I started
and it has not hendered me

I have to ask, how do you know it hasn't? How do you know that people didn't turn away because they had perceptions about your business due to the logo? I really doubt in this day in age of PC'ness that most would even admit to that even if that really was a factor.

First impressions are still and always be important. That's all that people have to go by to see if they really want to invest in the time to see what kind of work ethic or quality of product that is being produced.

Even if people make out the fact that you do signs from that logo, they might think that you are catering to more of the religious signage or maybe you might have a problem with doing a certain type of signage (for whatever reason). You may not, but with something like what you are posting, that could be a perception that people are getting. That would hinder your business. Not totelly in the negative anti-religion way, but it would still hinder it none the less, but I doubt people would be truthful in that respect, because of the fear of being branded ( I couldn't resist) anti-religion.

Then, of course, you lose the clientele that are a little leary of places that really show off that angled due to the huge amount of con-men that use that type of angle in their cons. I'm not saying that's the case now, I'm just saying that's something that you are "fighting" against with this type of branding.

This is what people are going to see more then likely first, this has to be the hook that gets them in your store. The more people that you can appeal to and get them in, the better off your are. Once their in, then a little more of what you are about can be there, but the hook needs to be as accessible to the public as it can be.

But I can tell you if there are people that do not want to do business with me because of my name without getting to know me or my staff is their loss.

Any business that is using faith as a strong focal point, doesn't have the luxury of having that type of mentality. When you put those symbols in your signage, you should and in most cases will be, held to a higher standard. It may very will be their loss, but you have to go about showing why it would be their loss other then just saying, it's their loss. That's the double edged sword of branding yourself the way that you are branding.

Last edited:

signmeup

Good point Wildwest. There is no way to know if being a "faith business"/sign shop has hindered or helped. I highly suspect it has hurt (I wouldn't go in there) but who can say for sure?

inthesignbiz

Marketing 101 - Religion and Politics should not be used in a business name unless that business caters to those entities specifically.

How far would someone get calling thier business "Proud Republican Signs and Graphics"?

It has been my experience that people using the fish or cross in thier business ads forget that there are people that actually know them and thier actions. From that experience, I don't trust any business that uses these symbols in thier name or advertising.

As far as the logo goes, someone with 22 years of experience should know better.
It's too hard to read. The cross is hard to make out in the wording. It would not translate well to any other background color. Could this be used for a letter head?
Could it be converted to one color?

In my honest opinion, the whole thing is a train wreck and should be left crumbled up on the floor.

WildWestDesigns

What the heck is a "faith business"? I thought it was for a sign shop.

I think it might be more in reference to all the faith and church related business that he might be doing. In which case, his logo would probably do alright, but I would advice against it for the general public. If he is serving a niche market that's one thing, but if he is trying to get the public in, that's another.

ucmj22

I have an independent substrate supplier (super nice guy which is why i still buy stuff from him even though hes not the cheapest) that sells aluminum composite panels out of his beat up old suv and he's always got a biblical reference baseball cap on, some kind of Jesus shirt, a fisher of men emblem on his truck and everyone once in a while he will give me a pocket cross. He is obviously a very religious man who where's his faith on his sleeve. Guess what the name of his business is... J-K Sign Supply! I still can't figure out what the purpose of putting your faith in the name and logo of your business is supposed to accomplish... Anyone... Anyone... Bueller...

mountainmang

personally, i like your logo and am very impressed with your reasoning behind it...best of luck to you :thumb:

Thank you for all your crit and input, it is greatly appreciated. All of you have some valid points but as far as my logo and name affecting my business I have been in business since I was 17 and now I'm 39 and have had a strong faith business every since I started
and it has not hendered me yet I think the main point would be that your work and the manner in which you run your business in is what creates your clientel. But I can tell you if there are people that do not want to do business with me because of my name without getting to know me or my staff is their loss.

Thanks once again for all your input!