• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo feedback

CavellaDesign

After some very help insight a few months back from members here I have come up with a new logo and would appreciate some feedback. I make custom gifts, awards, signs, decals etc centered around firefighters. Thanks in advance for any input. cavellalogonice3.jpg

Jillbeans

While I can see the look you're going for, to me, this looks as if you just modified a VectorArt maltese cross image. It doesn't look very original.

I tend to avoid using black and red together when possible. Your colors might look richer/more traditionally minded if you used red/maroon and imitation gold with some black touches. I don't like the way that some of the cross has black fill and other parts have white fill.

Your name is way heavy on the white outline, and distorted in that way, on the shape it's already on, makes for some conflict.
I think I would use a display font for the name only, and keep the other fonts more simple. For the name itself, the font choice has a lot of conflicting angles.

Conversely, you could focus on the word HANDCRAFTED, and put the name and "design" top and bottom in the shape. Make it a little more primitive/beer label looking.
I don't care for the little retro diner looking shape around "by" I think it puts too much emphasis on that word.
Love....Jill

CES020

I agree with Jill. Just to add a couple of things, the "handcrafted" and Design" are two different size fonts, which doesn't visually look right. The "By" with the skewed shape around it doesn't fit for me either. To me, in my opinion, it should be visually balanced and I don't think with all the different size/width fonts, that it has that balance.

Just my opinion. With a little tweaking, I think you'll end up with a nice looking logo.

Jillbeans

I'd go with something more along these lines.
My kerning needs a bit of tweaking.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 138

Marco

The lettering is not fitting. Dunno what else to say other than is increasing my headache.

SignManiac

What is the point of the Maltese cross? Do you specialize in fire department apparatus? Your color combinations do not work well given the design you have chosen and the design elements you have chosen do not work together. You have many conflicting elements all working against each other. What is the nature of your business?

Looks like it should be on the side of a firetruck.

What is the point of the Maltese cross? Do you specialize in fire department apparatus? Your color combinations do not work well given the design you have chosen and the design elements you have chosen do not work together. You have many conflicting elements all working against each other. What is the nature of your business?

Does nobody have time to read these days? It helps tremendously.

CavellaDesign

Thanks to all that replied especially Jill. Not having a background in graphic design, this feedback really helps. I want to end up with something that is well balanced and will stick with people. Seeing Jill's take on the handcrafted emphasis was nice. Does that take too much away from the name? Again, thanks for every ones input.

SignManiac

Since I opened my mouth too soon instead of re reading the first post after a week, I'll toss this in for you to show you there are many, many, design possibilities. This is what came to mind after a few minutes of pondering.

Attachments

• Cavella.jpg
    Cavella.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 138

John Butto

the old hand and brush

eliminates some wording
like signmantiac's and jill beans and yours is not bad either

Attachments

• handdesign.jpg
    handdesign.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 141
I like the Handcrafted Jill did. Super clean, easy to incorporate. Great job! I, too, try to stay away from Red and Black. If it's your plan for a company color, no way around that. Best of luck! I'd like to see what you go with!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
View attachment 101256

Here's the direction I'm heading. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Showing your ideas together shows a bad habit...

STOP SQUISHING AND SQUEEZING YOUR TYPE...

If you have to do it, do it for a reason. With so many typeface out there
I'm sure there was one out there that is better suited without having
to abuse a typeface.

Your turned Signmaniacs well-balanced logo into a squeeze squishy mess

SignManiac

Fonts can't be forced to work. Every logo has just the right font. If you're limited to a handful of fonts that were automatically installed on your computer, you are severely handicapped. You either need too search out more free fonts or "invest" in fonts that will serve you well. I have thousands of dollars worth of fonts because typography is an art unto itself. A well chosen font can make the difference between a great logo and a chit one.

Jillbeans

It's Arthur Vanson's Flash Script:
http://www.letterheadfonts.com/fonts/flashscript.php

To the OP...fonts are dreadful, but still better than how you began.
If you're going to use a script for Handcrafted...don't use something that belongs on a wedding invite for a pregnant trailer dweller and her unemployed baby daddy.
:Big Laugh
Hey, at least they are making it legal though.

I try to avoid doing the first and last letters "bigger" especially with that type of lettering.
Clean and simple is almost always the best way forward.