• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Feedback

mikemehak

logo.jpg
I'm not sure I like this logo. I'm looking for something fun and catchy that will hopefully cause a second look. But I would also like it fairly simple.

I drew this up, but not sure I'm happy with the colors and contrast. Especially once I cut it out in vinyl.

Also, do you think it will be obvious enough that my website is mmdesigns.ca ?

Or should I go lopsided and do

logo2.jpg

It seems easier to make others happy with a logo than it is to make yourself happy.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It looks very much like a circus clown threw up.

ChicagoGraphics

If you call clip art of a horse with flames coming out it's a** a logo, I hate to see what you design for your customers. And the first one is of what?

mikemehak

If you call clip art of a horse with flames coming out it's a** a logo, I hate to see what you design for your customers. And the first one is of what?

That's not clip art actually, it's a cutout of the first race I won as a jockey many many years ago before I retired. It's simple, but embroiders nice to silks, blankets, etc...

Here is a logo. Text was not my first choice but was insisted by client.
majestic.jpg

mikemehak

OK................
You put your sh*t out there for judgement.

If you dont want to hear the truth, dont put it out there.

The logo is bad. Go another direction.

I was hoping for constructive criticism, purely colours, graffiti writing, the ink splat?

I have sketches of a more vintage direction, but not sure that will appeal to wide enough demographic

Joe Diaz

I'm not sure the splat imagery lends itself well to a company dealing with graphic design or sign making. The first thing that is going to come to mind for the majority people that see splat imagery is "messy" Did this sign makers printer malfunction? Are they a painter that has a difficult time pulling a straight line? etc... etc.... These are the things that are going to go through peoples' minds. I think a better strategy would be something with a little more structure, something that looks like it was designed and not something that appears as a result of something that happened by accident.

Graffiti, is also a bad direction. You talked about having wide appeal. Most people view graffiti in a negative way, that it's unprofessional at best and vandalism at worst. It won't have the mass appeal you are looking for.

Your design should tell a story about your business. When you created this, what story were you hopping it would tell and do you think its audience will understand it?

laserman70

I'm not sure the splat imagery lends itself well to a company dealing with graphic design or sign making. The first thing that is going to come to mind for the majority people that see splat imagery is "messy" Did this sign makers printer malfunction? Are they a painter that has a difficult time pulling a straight line? etc... etc.... These are the things that are going to go through peoples' minds. I think a better strategy would be something with a little more structure, something that looks like it was designed and not something that appears as a result of something that happened by accident.

Graffiti, is also a bad direction. You talked about having wide appeal. Most people view graffiti in a negative way, that it's unprofessional at best and vandalism at worst. It won't have the mass appeal you are looking for.

Your design should tell a story about your business. When you created this, what story were you hopping it would tell and do you think its audience will understand it?

Listen to Joe

Here is his work..
He wont blow his own horn.....
amazing stuff

http://diazsignart.com/design-branding/#/logo-design

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the logos for large national brands. What do all of them have in common? They are simple, easily recognized, and easily read. I am on a mission right now to simplify my own logo.

Here is a quick simple idea

mm.jpg

Billct2

Joe has more patience (and talent) than most...all I can say is you need to start over and I'd start with a class on graphic design.!in the meantime sub out your logo design.

SignManiac

Joe has more patience (and talent) than most...all I can say is you need to start over and I'd start with a class on graphic design.!in the meantime sub out your logo design.

Thank you, thank you Bill. I was going to just say effit. Not worth the time to help. Bill's advice is the only possible solution.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, you've come to the right place to find out your salts worth.

It takes time for something to appeal to the masses. Look at Nike or Apple to start. Your colors are a little overboard, but hey, good things take time.

You need to take what most here dish out as sound advice.... as just being jealous. They all know ya hafta start somewhere. As mentioned, walldogging and painting murals on buildings are nothing more than graffiti at it's finest. All letters are is a series of straight strokes either up & down, left & right with curves going in all kindsa directions. Put 'em all together and what've ya got ?? Bippity-bobbity-boo..... commonly known as design/logos, graphics/lettering. Most of your inner cities today are hiring these graffiti artists to paint up the town, so..... you're probably onto something possibly very big and ahead of the rest of the pack here. Being a jockey should tell ya something about that. :rock-n-roll:

Keep at it and your creation will eventually get there.

mikemehak

Well, you've come to the right place to find out your salts worth.

It takes time for something to appeal to the masses. Look at Nike or Apple to start. Your colors are a little overboard, but hey, good things take time.

You need to take what most here dish out as sound advice.... as just being jealous. They all know ya hafta start somewhere. As mentioned, walldogging and painting murals on buildings are nothing more than graffiti at it's finest. All letters are is a series of straight strokes either up & down, left & right with curves going in all kindsa directions. Put 'em all together and what've ya got ?? Bippity-bobbity-boo..... commonly known as design/logos, graphics/lettering. Most of your inner cities today are hiring these graffiti artists to paint up the town, so..... you're probably onto something possibly very big and ahead of the rest of the pack here. Being a jockey should tell ya something about that. :rock-n-roll:

Keep at it and your creation will eventually get there.

Thanks Joe and all who offered advice. That's what I'm looking for. I will go for something more simple and play around with some ideas and post back for more.

TimToad

OK................
You put your sh*t out there for judgement.

If you dont want to hear the truth, dont put it out there.

The logo is bad. Go another direction.

Good, bad or otherwise, there is a way to speak to a colleague and your way is not how I would describe it in any sense of the word. How a gruff, mean-spirited, insulting tone like yours can be construed as the "truth" or as constructive, objective criticism is beyond me.

People who post here have an enormous amount of variation in their skill levels, experience, timidity, confidence, self-esteem, pride, training, etc.

I'm not sure when or how the invitation to post things for feedback got misconstrued by your type of poster to believe that its a license to be as harsh, rude and mean-spirited as humanly possible, but its the most unbecoming trait I see on this site.

It can't be something taught in college or art school, because I went to both and NEVER experienced the level of hostility and disrespect of one's colleagues as I see on these pages.

J Hill Designs

good, bad or otherwise, there is a way to speak to a colleague and your way is not how i would describe it in any sense of the word. How a gruff, mean-spirited, insulting tone like yours can be construed as the "truth" or as constructive, objective criticism is beyond me.

People who post here have an enormous amount of variation in their skill levels, experience, timidity, confidence, self-esteem, pride, training, etc.

I'm not sure when or how the invitation to post things for feedback got misconstrued by your type of poster to believe that its a license to be as harsh, rude and mean-spirited as humanly possible, but its the most unbecoming trait i see on this site.

It can't be something taught in college or art school, because i went to both and never experienced the level of hostility and disrespect of one's colleagues as i see on these pages.

pot -> kettle

you try to do what the original sign artist did and pull out a stabilo and actually lay it out by hand like he or she did. Or if you have multiples to do, one of those yellow things with the black stuff in the middle, i think they used to call them pencils works really well on white paper. Then you get a thing called a "pounce" wheel and perforate all the lines.