• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Feedback

mikemehak

For those interested in helping and not just bashing, what about this direction?

This is just a quick rough idea. Is this perhaps a better direction? Something simple, but somewhat vintage styled

new logo.jpg

Perhaps a ribbon instead of the chamfered square? Sub out the red or the orange for more black?

TimToad

pot -> kettle

And in typical, thin skinned, lets find a "gotcha" example to use to rebuff someone calling out the meanies on this site who don't need any defending, a tongue in cheek post like I was attempting to convey doesn't come over the interwebs very well.

Joe Diaz

That's better, now looking back at the first design, where most would say it should be abandoned all together, there is something about it you could carry over to your latest attempt. See how you have a larger "MM" over "design"? Why not apply that to your newest design. Using different fonts of course, have the MM on the circle graphic, maybe use the extruded dropshadow effect for that, move the banner down below the MM and make "designs" larger and have only it in the banner. What you will end up with is a layout that has been done often, but works. I'm not sure what the crown means for you, but if you have to keep it. Plop that bad boy on top of your "MM". Then below the banner in the bottom part of the circle, put your. ca instead of the star.

As it is now, the circle is the star actor here and your name probably should be. The circle is now the largest element but as a person who doesn't know anything about you, I'm wondering why it's the most predominate element? Does it mean something significant? If it's simply a supporting design element, it should support not compete for attention.

mikemehak

Thanks again for the help

I see what you meant about focal point.

I think softer drop shadow now

new logo2.jpg

Attachments

• new logo.jpg
    new logo.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 103

SignManiac

Ok, so a ten minute quickie based on your concept. I see I forgot the .com but that's easy enough to incorporate

Attachments

• m&M.jpg
    m&M.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 105
  • m&M2.jpg
    m&M2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 126

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Like most logos on here for critique, we are clueless as to how you got
to this point...

Did you do any research?

First thing I would do is gogle "MM LOGO"

If you wanted a "graffiti logo" I would google that

If you were looking into a "retro logo" Google...

part of the design process is research.

There are thousands of logo books, you want retro? Dan Antonelli's book
is chock full of great examples.

I like Joe's first comment and I want to take it even further...

I think it's easy to design your own logo. If I design for
myself as a fat lazy slob who's missing teeth and a club foot, my
logo is going to look like a hot mess, but an exercise I do is to
not design for my ugly arse, but Rick, the King Chicken Wing... Rick
the grand poobah of (insert whatever it is I need to be inspired)

You should not have one or 2 ideas, but many.

Stop polishing turds...
--- RESEARCH
--- START DESIGNING FOR THE PERSON YOU WANT TO PORTRAY
--- learn the visual language or "retro" or "graffiti" or the particular look
you are trying to achieve.
--- come up with more ideas...
--- Then pick your favorite directions, then polish

Joe Diaz

I agree with Rick's statements. I also think that during the learning stages of being a designer.... actually imho we should never be completely out of the learning stages but I guess I mean early on.... it's good to "polish a turd" from time to time. You learn a lot that way. I was fortunate enough to be raised by great teachers, one of which was actually a school teacher for a long time. I have found that part of the process of getting better at your trade is learning from mistakes. I don't think they ever once told me to completely scrap an idea and start over from scratch, even if that was probably the right thing to do. They tried to teach me how to improve my own creations and I felt like that helped me progress the most. The end result of polishing a turd isn't usually a great design, but it's not a total waste of time either. Over time you will learn that what usually makes those turds, and the reason why they are rarely transformed into a delicious cupcake, is the lack of basic design principals.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I agree with Rick's statements. I also think that during the learning stages of being a designer.... actually imho we should never be completely out of the learning stages but I guess I mean early on.... it's good to "polish a turd" from time to time. You learn a lot that way. I was fortunate enough to be raised by great teachers, one of which was actually a school teacher for a long time. I have found that part of the process of getting better at your trade is learning from mistakes. I don't think they ever once told me to completely scrap an idea and start over from scratch, even if that was probably the right thing to do. They tried to teach me how to improve my own creations and I felt like that helped me progress the most. The end result of polishing a turd isn't usually a great design, but it's not a total waste of time either. Over time you will learn that what usually makes those turds, and the reason why they are rarely transformed into a delicious cupcake, is the lack of basic design principals.

I agree that at some point, polishing a turd is
like scratching that itch... or uncovering the good
idea that might be lurking behind... it must be done
sometimes.

I also say design the bad ideas, that way you get them
out of the way to make way for the good idea.

But before polishing anything, research, learn the visual
language, start drawing, then you can see where that
takes you...

I was going to show the OP an old thread but it's in the
premium section. I might as well show it as an example
of drawing out rapid doodles, then polishing them... some
are baaaad, but the idea is to learn to visualize at a fast pace.

Attachments

• kingpin design ideas.jpg
    kingpin design ideas.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 111
  • kingpin design ideas-2.jpg
    kingpin design ideas-2.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 107
  • kingpin logo concepts-size.jpg
    kingpin logo concepts-size.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 107
  • kingpin concepts-2.jpg
    kingpin concepts-2.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 106

shoresigns

1. If you pay attention to typography a lot, you'll notice that good designers tend to avoid fonts that are pre-installed on every computer. It makes the difference between an amateur-looking design and a professional one. There are exceptions to this rule but they are few and far between.
  2. I would get rid of the "weathered" effect. If you really want it then try to learn how to use it more subtly instead of cranking it up to 11.

1. If you pay attention to typography a lot, you'll notice that good designers tend to avoid fonts that are pre-installed on every computer. It makes the difference between an amateur-looking design and a professional one. There are exceptions to this rule but they are few and far between.
  2. I would get rid of the "weathered" effect. If you really want it then try to learn how to use it more subtly instead of cranking it up to 11.

In other words....nix the cooper black and delete it from your system never to be used again?

TimToad

I could probably uninstall every font from my computer EXCEPT for my core system fonts and both happily and effectively design compelling, aesthetically pleasing work for the rest of my life.

I think what gets most "designers" in trouble with their typography is the overuse of superfluous, primarily display fonts for uses not meant to have display fonts used in.

I do agree with the "weathered" look reference. Just throwing some diagonal scratches across a surface does not make it look old, aged, or historical.