• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo for input

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Not claiming anything on the ability front. Need to start somewhere.

I want this logo to be able to be large, medium and very small. Trying to keep it simple and clean.

I have plenty thick skin and appreciate professional critizism. Don't tip toe.

:thankyou:

Attachments

• Dawn's Logo.jpg
    Dawn's Logo.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 140

PromoGuyTy

Consider adding something, anything, of interest to this layout.

(You said don't tip-toe).

This layout makes me very sleepy.

Mosh

make the "d" twice as big. nix the outliness. Let me guess, you just got a "sticker cutter" and is going into the sign biz??? Right? cause..... The Mosh can tell... look at the Kerning on the 's, you needs some skoolins on sign makinins Dawn fur sure! Yeah, what Mosh said, I agree! (please google kerning so you know what I am talikng about first off)

SignManiac

I don't have any fonts on this computer but you need to make it more interesting as suggested in the posts above. This is a five minute effort, not great, but an example of simplicity with a little flair.

Attachments

• dawn.jpg
    dawn.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 91

Jillbeans

If you want to only make signs for the wedding and hair salon crowd, keep on going.
Bob was right about the apostrophe but nothing makes this sign dynamic or makes me want to buy a sign off of you.
The weak script, the blah colors, it is just so bland.
You might like it but will a potential client?
(say a landscaper with a small fleet of 10 trucks who needs a logo and tons of signs)
I think you are trying for a classy look, but this looks very girly.
Yes the name is a woman's name, but a woman can be tough, colorful, and eye-catching.
Like me.
hahahaha
Design for who you are trying to sell to, not just to please yourself.
Love.....Jill
PS
Kudos on not spelling graphics with an X.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Thank you for the input so far!

I have been reading as fast as I can regarding signs, maybe too much to digest. Tinkering and asking for input will only help me grasp important aspects quicker.

Here's what I am trying to obtain:

Large sign
Letterheads
Will work in a single color
The ability to recreate very tiny within projects
Readable in any size

Maybe say an electrician needs truck signs and business cards, but trying to work on vinyl or printing would require a much broader range of uses.

Am I at least glancing in the right direction?

CES020

If you want to achieve reading from a distance and reading when very tiny, as you said, you need to lose that font. Those fine lines in there will disappear from a distance and be too small to see when it's "tiny", will end up being a single strand of thread if you have it sewn on a shirt, etc.

I went to a quote a job about a year ago. They needed pan faces for their street sign, and then signs on their building. They handed me their card and the entire thing was in a font like that. They insisted on keeping the font. I insisted no one would be able to read it. I refused to quote the job for them in that style font.

Drive by there 3 months later, I see the sign, you can't tell the name of the place or what they sell. You literally can't read the sign while driving down the road. I've been by there many times since and I never see cars in their lot. Not because they don't have a good business, but because no one knows they are there because they can't read the freakin' sign!

Thicken it up!

Disclaimer: I'm not a graphics designer, don't know anything about graphic design, and don't pretend to be a graphic designer, but I can read from my car while driving down the road (if the sign is clear enough to read!).

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
I follow the issues surrounding the font. I guess I was attempting "classy". I knew I didn't want something that had a cheap or inexpensive look.

Reflecting on it I guess I am trying for too much from a single design.

I am working on making it better and I will post as I "correct" it.

Maybe if I can get some thoughts from this standpoint. My plan was if I made it large for a storefront I could add some text to the bottom, maybe more detailed info on what is offered BUT if I needed it shrunk I could eliminate everything but the oval with Dawn's on it.

One last thought, I really do appreciate the examples but I am not trying to get someone to design it. All I am hoping for is explanation of theory so I can correct, post and get feedback from experienced people here.

Please comment on the next trial.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Is this getting closer to acceptable?

I am scared of going too crazy with color. I tried a number of combinations and although something seems wrong I just can"t place it.

I tried color sites to stay within the same family, think I will revisit that.

Attachments

• Dawns logo 3.jpg
    Dawns logo 3.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 119

GoodPeopleFlags

Sorry, but that's not better. Why "Dawn's"? I'm just not a big fan of business names that use a person's first name. Seems small-time, to me. Besides that, the font is too plain and too thin.

You should put what the business does larger than Dawn's. If I drove by that, I would see Dawn's and miss the rest and wonder what the hell Dawn was selling. By the first post, I would think clothes or flowers.

I used to own a sign shop and found that most of my customers were male and didn't give me alot of respect because I was a female. I could tell them the same info and say it came from my dad or husband and that carried more weight with them. Just sayin', the female name might keep some male customer's away.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Thank you! Funny thing is I thought I was pretty happy the first draft. The things people are pointing out has me wondering how I could even have posted the first one.

Complete lack of understanding of the art on my part.

Better?

Attachments

• Dawns logo 4.jpg
    Dawns logo 4.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 98

signmeup

Drop the green horizontal lines and the brown diamonds at the top. Now drop the oval and narrow "Vinyl Graphics" to fit below "Dawn's".

Forgot.... design it in a single colour if you want it to work in a single colour.