• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo on brick wall

Rob G Momentum

I have a client who is insisting on having his logo painted on a brick wall. He is looking to achieve a washed out/vintage type look and I was planning on using some type of stencil(the logo is the letter "C" and a line of text, white on blue).

Anyone have any recommendations on what type of paint I could use or should I avoid painting altogether and use some sort of vinyl?

DerbyCitySignGuy

I don't know much about hand painting, but it seems like it would be way more difficult to replicate a faded/vintage look by hand. I'd print on RoughRap (or similar) to make it easier to achieve the desired look. I'm sure there are ways to do it by hand, I just don't know what they are.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have a client who is insisting on having his logo painted on a brick wall. He is looking to achieve a washed out/vintage type look and I was planning on using some type of stencil(the logo is the letter "C" and a line of text, white on blue).

Anyone have any recommendations on what type of paint I could use or should I avoid painting altogether and use some sort of vinyl?

Print it out on Cast vinyl and apply to the brick wall.

signbrad

Years ago, when I had to achieve a washed out look, I simply added clear to the lettering colors. As I recall, One Shot had a clear. I may have used Smith's Cream also. It was long ago.

I would not use oil based lettering colors on bricks these days. They don't hold up very well.
An acrylic latex of high quality will almost always outperform oil based lettering colors on a masonry surface. The brand I like is called Nova. It is heavily pigmented and a blending medium is available that could be used to reduce the opacity to achieve a worn look.

Brad in Kansas City

Nova Color Artists' Acrylic Paint- Buy Online Artists Acrylic Paint & Mediums Art Supplies Shop Online

Jason DeLuca

Not sure if you can use it here but Alumigraphics makes a product for uneven surfaces like brick and lasts a long time. You just use a rubber roller to form it into all of the crevices. Hand painted would probably look better though.

Kevin O'Connell

Market 34.jpg

Rob,

I do this almost every day. I use Benjamin Moore Aura or Low Lustre Exterior.

If you are a sign painter, you can paint the letter as you would, cutting in the outline, but leave gaps in the strokes. Fill in sketchily, leaving exposed brick within the letter. Paint will wear off a wall in unpredictable ways, so you can be playful.
Try not to fall into a pattern.

If it makes sense, a stencil can help with the outline, but I find it easier to just do a hand layout.

Have fun!

LN Weathered Wall.jpg

Skinner

If painting is not an option, look up 3m IJ18624. We've used it numerous times with great success. There is a roller accessory that is an absolute must. It holds a heat gun in place as you roll over the surface. This material requires a lot of pressure and constant heat. If you do it correctly it will sink into any crack or crevice you roll over. The setup is a little pricey. If you plan on doing multiple jobs, it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelWilson

I guess you should go with vinyl !!

Johnny Best

Your in the sign business and someone wants a washed out look hand painted on a wall and you can't do it because you have no art skills? You mean to tell me you can't make a paper pattern and pounce it on a wall and follow some lines with a paint brush.
Yea, make it out of vinyl like the other skilled people on here suggest. Hire Kevin O'Connell, he looks to have some painting talent. Or, send a round trip plane ticket to signbrad and get him a place at Days Inn and pay him for his skills to paint it on the wall for you.

Joe Diaz

Having it done by hand with paint sure is going to look a lot more authentic. And making it look vintage by hand isn't that difficult especially if the the surface is rough. In fact, not having to go back and do multiple coats and just letting the brush strokes show speeds up the process. Digitally you have to do more work to achieve what happens naturally with a brush.
Here's one we did not too long ago:
10499613_10203412032433738_1532769734441211607_o.jpg
To answer your question. We did this with Nova Color Paint. I wouldn't use a stencil, but you could project the image with an overhead projector or use a pounce pattern Some plotters even have a pounce setting ;).

Last edited:

DerbyCitySignGuy

Your in the sign business and someone wants a washed out look hand painted on a wall and you can't do it because you have no art skills? You mean to tell me you can't make a paper pattern and pounce it on a wall and follow some lines with a paint brush.
Yea, make it out of vinyl like the other skilled people on here suggest. Hire Kevin O'Connell, he looks to have some painting talent. Or, send a round trip plane ticket to signbrad and get him a place at Days Inn and pay him for his skills to paint it on the wall for you.

I guess I should just let my dentist fix my broken leg or remove my appendix too, since they're both in the medical field. It's all the same, right?

You know what? Why even bother selling signs at all? Just tell your customer next time to slap a stencil on the wall and follow the lines, since it's apparently super easy.

:rolleyes:

Johnny Best

I guess I should just let my dentist fix my broken leg or remove my appendix too, since they're both in the medical field. It's all the same, right?

You know what? Why even bother selling signs at all? Just tell your customer next time to slap a stencil on the wall and follow the lines, since it's apparently super easy.

:rolleyes:

Excellent addition to the discussion. Thanks for the input, it definitely puts things into perspective for people who aren't familiar with hand painted signage.

-------

Use WW100, Wall Wrap 100. Vinyl that is specifically for brick walls. Works amazing but is expensive.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Excellent addition to the discussion. Thanks for the input, it definitely puts things into perspective for people who aren't familiar with hand painted signage.

Sorry I called you out on your stupid comment. Forgive me.

I'd love to stay and chat, but I have to get my car fixed, so I'm taking it to the kid down the street who's good with Legos.