• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo on brick wall

Joe Diaz

Well, I don't know if I'd say it's super easy, but I would think learning to do things by hand would be a good skill to pick up in this industry. I feel like knowing how enhances other skills we offer too. Some folks in the industry that still do things by hand are great teachers. You can pick up a lot at a letterhead meet, or walldog event. How can it hurt?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Main questions :
  • Is this an interior wall or exterior ??
  • How high must you be ??
  • Can we see the layout ??
  • Do you have hand skills pertaining to painting ??

On another note..... it amazes me, how many people want an old fashioned appearance, now that we don't hafta do it by hand anymore. Back when it was ONLY produced by hand, every customer wanted the lettering absolutely perfect and complained when it wasn't. Today, we have unreal technology at our fingertips and can produce pert near anything imaginable, but now they want silly fonts, pictures and crooked lettering. :banghead:

DerbyCitySignGuy

Well, I don't know if I'd say it's super easy, but I would think learning to do things by hand would be a good skill to pick up in this industry. I feel like knowing how enhances other skills we offer too. Some folks in the industry that still do things by hand are great teachers. You can pick up a lot at a letterhead meet, or walldog event. How can it hurt?

I'm sure for some people it IS super easy. I can drive around town and see plenty of examples of garbage signs though, professionally hand painted or otherwise.

Being flippant and denigrating the amount of skill required to produce a hand painted sign devalues the work and our industry.

Joe Diaz

I'm sure for some people it IS super easy. I can drive around town and see plenty of examples of garbage signs though, professionally hand painted or otherwise.

Being flippant and denigrating the amount of skill required to produce a hand painted sign devalues the work and our industry.
Well, I can't speak for others. But I would assume that some sign makers would already possess a certain set of skills that would make learning how to do artistic things by hand easier than someone that works for a bank and has a more mathematical/analytical mind. Those are the people I'm directing my comments to. Others can take it, or leave it. I'm just trying to be positive here, give the OP and others the benefit of the doubt, and encourage people in this industry to push themselves and learn new things. I'm certainly not trying to devalue what we do. Have a good one.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Well, I can't speak for others. But I would assume that some sign makers would already possess a certain set of skills that would make learning how to do artistic things by hand easier than someone that works for a bank and has a more mathematical/analytical mind. Those are the people I'm directing my comments to. Others can take it, or leave it. I'm just trying to be positive here, give the OP and others the benefit of the doubt, and encourage people in this industry to push themselves and learn new things. I'm certainly not trying to devalue what we do. Have a good one.

Sorry, Joe. I wasn't speaking directly to you, but I was agreeing with your post. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Personally, I would love to learn to hand letter, but just don't have the time. I wear several hats at work and have to wrangle kids in the evenings, so it's just not feasible. Maybe in 15 to 20 years when the kids are gone.

signbrad

DerbyCitySignGuy,
Send Johhny some Legos. That'll teach him.:)
Seriously, though, many letterers started their careers on walls. It can be a forgiving surface.

Speaking of Legos...
Has anyone seen the rhinoceros made of Legos at the Minneapolis Institute of Art?
At least, I think that's where I saw it. Many years ago.
Amazing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think you're all kinda saying the same thing. However, the hand-painted part goes a few ways. So, let's break this down in this thread, unless someone would like to start a new thread on the subject, but for now..... here goes.

As for today's computer generated graphics, pictures, prints and whatnot, you merely press a button and it's completed perfectly. The person inputting the information either has an eye for design/layout or doesn't. The end result will still be a perfectly made ugly or nice finished product.

In the hand-painting days, you had those who weren't as good as others and they tended to not get the good main street work, just the mediocre jobs.

Difference is... there were off-the-brush guys who could paint anything from large lettering to fancy pictorials and do it outta their head. Sure, they'd make a few guidelines and go from there, but when the computer came along, alot of us got lazy and used the machine to create paint masks or pounce patterns and it become more like coloring in a coloring book, where all the lines were drawn in and all ya hadda do was stay in the lines. Because using a brush, some still call it hand painting, but not in most old-timers eyes. There are those who frown on using tape for the tops & bottoms and there are those who still think building letters isn't as good as just slinging the brush, whether it be a quill or a flat. Learning all the ins & outs of palatting, paint consistency, which paints to use under what circumstances and once it's down and dried, it a done deal all goes with it.

Perhaps, we could post up some old work we did when only brushes were available would be a nice touch..... say pre-1980 ??

DerbyCitySignGuy

Perhaps, we could post up some old work we did when only brushes were available would be a nice touch..... say pre-1980 ??

It's definitely a dying art and I would love to see some pictures. There are tons of old buildings around here that have painted adverts from the 40s and 50s and they're (mostly) amazing, even now.