• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo thread revisited (Catering Company)

JR's

They all look nice. Sorry I'm not much help.

I do like the smaller letter height for & catering.

JR

wildside

i like the one with the grey oval with the stripes in it and add the "catering" into a panel like the others, the yellow don't say kitchen or catering to me at all, with all the stainless steel and dark countertops and all the other misguided youth do to their kitchens these days, the colors although muted into grey tones, hit the market pretty well i think

after the skillet and food is refined might help, the style of the skillet and the style of the lettering do not totally agree with each other for some reason, although i can't put my finger on what it is

Gino

Premium Subscriber
They're all good and as you go along, they're getting even better. :thumb:

My only comment is..... they all look a bit too feminine for it to have a name like Stephen...... Stephanie would work, but not Stephen...... regardless of his personal technique.​

Jillbeans

I'm purposely trying to make it look a little bit feminine to appeal to the brides-to-be who hire him for catering. He's OK with that.
Remember, I'm going to clean up/refine the sketch part.
I may re-work the stripey one, but I was thinking after reading Evan's comments that it might be a PITA for embroidery.

Billct2

Back to the originals, I would combine the middle stripe effect with the bottm left oval, and make the oval outline more muted....but any would be OK by me

rjssigns

I like the outlined versions. Gives it clean separation from a background. I am looking at this from a pure put it on a vehicle perspective with no thought to other media. (bad doggie) I was trained better than that. Instructors beat us over the head with cross platform compatibility.
That being said I will still stick with my selection.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
this is a catering business right?

the & catering makes it seem like the catering is an afterthought. I would stick with stephens kitchen for just the logo.

when the logo is used, for all you catering needs can easily be added to the vehicle, print ad, whatever, where ever...

WildWestDesigns

Blends can be achieved in embroidery. You just have to remember a few things.

1. The lighter color is going to be the bottom base color (which is also what encompasses the entire object) and the darker color is stitched "on top". On top is in quotes due to the fact that blending is actually achieved by interlocking the thread of the two colors, so they end up being one layer.

2. No underlay is put on the bigger base layer in order to achieve the goal of point 1. Which greatly impacts push/pull on the fabric. Especially when Picque fabric is used (polo). There are other fabrics that would have the same concern, but that type is the most common.

3. You have one stitch angle that is done on fill stitches, so if I gradient looks like it's going to need more then 1 angle to achieve the effect, then that type of blending isn't going to work.

Now when you start adding in ovals, text and borders that all intermingle with each other, one on top the other etc. Push/pull, registration become a concern. Some of those more difficult patterns are still possible, but if they choose something with a blend, oval and outline around the oval, the density, underlay, stitch order, angle are all going to be specific to one type of fabric. So if the pattern is setup for Picque, I wouldn't try to use that pattern on a hat or on cotton etc. You really shouldn't do that anyway, but some patterns can work on more fabrics and substrates then others. Depending on which one is chosen, that wouldn't be the case here. He might have to have 2 or 3 patterns.

You might want to have something for print and something for embroidery. I don't know their budget, but that might be something to consider.

Sorry Jill, I did it again. I just can't help myself at times.

Jillbeans

The thing about this place is that it is both a restaurant and a catering business.
The restaurant (more of a lunchroom really) has been around for over 20 years, but he wants to stress catering more.
I'm going to show him what I have, will let you know tomorrow. Thanks so much.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It's sufficiently feminine and difficult to read that I read it as 'Stephanie's'. It was only when I read 'Stephen's' in the text of a post in this thread that I realized that It wasn't 'Stephanie's'.

People seldom read signs, especially those using specimen type faces. They merely look at them and then either supplement the copy, or supply all of it, themselves. This is a very real phenomenon and should be take into account at design time.

Regardless, the 'AND CATERING' is in total discord with the rest of the work.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
the 'AND CATERING' is in total discord with the rest of the work.

i'm not sure, because i didn't run it through my alien translator yet, but are bob and I in agreement???

Jillbeans

He liked the two bottom ones, and thought the top two were too feminine.
So I'm messing about with those, trying to make the "& CATERING" more harmonious.
I was thinking about curving it in a stylized ribbon at the bottom but not sure if that would help or hurt it?
I refined the pan and food a bit, I'm trying to make it look like the wok skillet he uses a lot.

Attachments

• skFINAL.jpg
    skFINAL.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 81

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's starting to take on the look of a chef's hat. Possibly you were heading this way.... or it just happened, but nonetheless... at a quick glance it appears that way.

Regardless, I'd still beef up the name so it looks a little more stronger than in it's present state. Rather than making the ribbon fit tucked in there like that..... I'd maybe pull it out, make it a little more wave-y and make catering somewhat more pronounced so it's still not an afterthought. Also, another color as bob suggested will make it blend a little better.