Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Looking for a better plotter pen...

Discussion in 'Product and Supplier Referrals' started by Jack Walker, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Jack Walker

Jack Walker New Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Hey guys... We have a new Graphtec FC8600 and I can't stand the Lumocolor fine point markers that come with it. Does anyone have a better suggestion that will fit the standard holder? I know that they advertise a sharpie holder but am not trying to pay over $100 for it unless there is no better option. We run a lot of installation/drill patterns and got used to ghetto-riggin/taping ballpoint pen guts to fit the old "legacy" Graphtec we had running for a while. Thank you in advance for the info.

Mahalo

2. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    I think they come with the non-permanent Staedtlers, so you could try the permanent versions like the 318. I used Staedtlers all the time while I was in the Army and they were some of the best things the Army issued!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jack Walker

Jack Walker New Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Right on! I did see the permanent 10pk on Amazon for like $17. I used the non-permanent on a few 20' drill patterns and the ink kept dropping out on the longer line runs. I'll give the permanent version a go! Thanks Bannertime! And Thank You for your Service!

4. bannertime

bannertime Very Active Member

Sep 8, 2016
    No
    I'm assuming you've set the pen height with the gauge, but have you set the speed? It should be around 25-30 cm/s. I'm not sure if it's better to be slower or faster on the pen. Sure there's a science to that. I'm a fan of Zebra products and it does appear they have a finepoint marker. Sarasa Fineliner. I'm not sure of the dimensions but it looks like it could fit. A bit wider tip too. And thanks! Was something that I did so that I wouldn't regret not doing it.

• Like Like x 1