• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Looking for a better plotter pen...

Jack Walker

Hey guys... We have a new Graphtec FC8600 and I can't stand the Lumocolor fine point markers that come with it. Does anyone have a better suggestion that will fit the standard holder? I know that they advertise a sharpie holder but am not trying to pay over $100 for it unless there is no better option. We run a lot of installation/drill patterns and got used to ghetto-riggin/taping ballpoint pen guts to fit the old "legacy" Graphtec we had running for a while. Thank you in advance for the info.

Mahalo

bannertime

I think they come with the non-permanent Staedtlers, so you could try the permanent versions like the 318. I used Staedtlers all the time while I was in the Army and they were some of the best things the Army issued!

Jack Walker

I think they come with the non-permanent Staedtlers, so you could try the permanent versions like the 318. I used Staedtlers all the time while I was in the Army and they were some of the best things the Army issued!

Right on! I did see the permanent 10pk on Amazon for like $17. I used the non-permanent on a few 20' drill patterns and the ink kept dropping out on the longer line runs. I'll give the permanent version a go! Thanks Bannertime! And Thank You for your Service!

bannertime

I'm assuming you've set the pen height with the gauge, but have you set the speed? It should be around 25-30 cm/s. I'm not sure if it's better to be slower or faster on the pen. Sure there's a science to that. I'm a fan of Zebra products and it does appear they have a finepoint marker. Sarasa Fineliner. I'm not sure of the dimensions but it looks like it could fit. A bit wider tip too. And thanks! Was something that I did so that I wouldn't regret not doing it.