• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for...a better Substrate cutter

GregT

I have a Keencut in the shop and love cutting with it. We cut gatorfoam, coroplast, thin aluminum, komatex. etc.

Rat_Fink

I love my safety speedcut panel saw. I have the best dust collection system they offer... but don't fool yourself into believing it "cleans up after itself" ...it makes less mess... but you will still want it in an area that can get dusty. Awesome tool... the money spent is long forgotten... but the fact that I waited 7 years to get is not.

I totally agree. I purchased this Milwaukee panel saw: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?originalValue=panel+saw&operator=prodIndexRefinementSearch&L1=Panel+Saws

I have had it for approx 8 years & it is used all the time from coroplast to alumalite.

Give me a call or PM me if you would like more details on it.

I knew the dust collection would not work 100% so I did not add it - I just keep it in the warehouse as to not throw dust in the production areas. I sweep up the dust that drops once or twice a week with a shop vac.

I also opted for the extensions so it is really easy to cut a 4x8 or 4x10 with no help. Without the extensions - some cuts could get tricky as the ends of the panel were not properly supported.

This tool is at good price at a little over $1200, but if you can get a used one for much cheaper - it would be a steal.

BTW - I sniped an ebay auction & got mine for $305 - One of the best deals I ever stumbled upon!

Take care!
R.F.

Gene@mpls

The Milwaukee does look like a Safety Speed Cut alright. On that narrow a
saw you would need the extension kit- and I would recommend the mid- fence. I never use my knife adapter and would sell it if someone wants it-
it is *really* heavy tho. Gene

ChiknNutz

As it is right now, I need something that will NOT make a huge mess, as that is what I'm dealing with right now when doing it "by hand" with a circular saw and straight-edge. But I still want something for the "soft stuff" like coro, gator and the like.

S

Stan B

is there any Keencut or Excalibur like system that will cut plastics with a razor blade 96" or over?

Replicator

The systems from EurekaZone look like a door threshold and a chunk of plastic

with a notch cut out for your circular saw blade and a couple of C clamps . . .

Looks like it would be pretty easy to make your own for about $40 - $50 Bucks !

ChiknNutz

I found a sorta local Saftey Speedcut saw, the H4 model. However, it does not have the Knife Kit, which is partly what I'm after. I've contacted the mfg to see if it can be added, but apparently it cannot, at least affordably (about $1500 for the parts). I guess the saw is made different to accept the knife kit. So, my question is for those with one of these, how often do you use the Knife Kit (if you have it)? I personally think that I would use it a lot for coroplast, foamcore and the like, so this is a bummer to find out. Anyway, would appreciate any feedback.

iSign

I have the knifekit.
I never use it.
If it fit your saw, I'd probably sell it.

*edit*
Actually, knowing me... I love to have every tool imaginable... just in case... so I probably won't sell it, so I shouldn't have said that... but the point was that, it doesn't seem that valuable to me. I guess I tried it when I first got it, & I forget the results, but they must not have been great, or I also don't have that much demand for it.

ChiknNutz

No kidding huh? How come? What are you using to cut the softer subtrates then? Just a straightedge and knife? I was kinda wanting a better way and this looked to be it with the knife kit. Pray tell...

iSign

not much more to tell... I don't have much demand as I said, so I usually just use a straight edge. I cut gatorboard with the blade on the panel saw... I buy coro in precut sizes if I need a lot of them. I even have an expensive "Practic" trimmer by keencut & it's been waiting for me to make room in my shop to set it up for 15 months.

Richard Flint

I also have been given some serious thought about purchasing a panel saw. I would need a machine that can be switched from a vertical cut to a horizontal cut without too much effort. As for saw blades - I would want a machine that takes a common size, so I don't have to purchase from the manufacturer. Also a dust collector would be an important feature.

I haven't done any research yet but these two machines have been brought to my attention:

Saw Trax and Safety Speed Cut

What choice do you recommened for my needs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ChiknNutz

Rich, did you read this entire thread? Several posts ago, "Speeddm" says not to get the SawTrax as they are a cheaper knockoff (though I have no personal experience to back that up).

Bogie

Hint.... Build shed/lean-to over a pad in the back of your shop, and house your dust collector (and garden stuff, whatever...) in it. Dust goes out, doesn't have the chance to filter back in.

ChiknNutz

Just got off the phone with the owner of Saw Systems...turns out he used to work for Saw Trax and then of course has intimate knowledge of their panel saws. They went their separate ways and he then started his own. Sounds like he's tried to improve on what the competition offers, they just don't have a big name yet. Plus, their prices are about 25% less than the others.

vvv123

I'm wanting to get something more efficient than a Skilsaw or Tablesaw, so I'm considering either a Panel Saw (like a Saw Trax) or a cutter like a Fletcher FSC. However, I'm not liking the cost of about $2500 for either one set up to my liking. Is there a more inexpensive alternative? I want something that doesn't make a mess (like the FSC), or cleans up after itself (like a panel saw with a vacuum attach). I don't need it to be capable of high volume, just an average amount, but does a good job and is accurate. Thanks much!

try this cheap to make. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH5dW-QcgeI

Mainframe

http://www.eurekazone.org/index.html

I bought this about 8 years ago & it is awesome! I cut foamboard, .040, .063 .080 mdo. lusterboard, foamboard, scooter board, & sign foam & lexan. This thing sets up in seconds, the saw cuts perfectly straight & slides down a rail, 1000 times better than a guide fence. The trick is to buy 3 sections when you order, the 4 foot sections stack together if needed so you can cut a 12 foot panel if you want. But if you have 3 sections you can keep 2 together for 8 foot cuts & use the extra section for your smaller cuts, after you get one of these you no longer have ANY trouble getting perfectly square substrates of any size, I use it to cut anything over a foot, my radial arm saw cuts one foot so I just use it for those cuts, I couldn't run my shop without this tool!