Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RustyM, May 11, 2007.

1. RustyM

RustyM New Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Hey there
    First time signing on and had a question about a plotter and software for a mac user. I have been in graphic design for 14 years and recently decided to get into signs. But I need to make sure what ever I get I can run off a mac and design in Illustrator and plug into whatever software to cut. I found two that I liked, US Cutter Compam with Sign Cut or Desay xy-300p with Flexi.
    Just looking to see if anyone has any opinions or other ideas.
    Thanks for reading

Rusty:help:

Tags:
  2. gvgraphics

gvgraphics Very Active Member

Mar 23, 2006
    The flexi software is a good choice. For the cutter go with a name brand cutter like Ioline, Roland, Suma, or GRAPHTEC. (I am not showing favoritism here). The cuts will be better and less problems. The cheaper cutters do have issues. There are allot of members who own them and have had good luck with them but some have had nothing but issues. So I think it is a hit or miss with the cheaper cutters. Plus resale value when you go to upgrade is allot more with a name brand cutter.

Just my $0.02

Sean

3. Jackpine

Jackpine Major Contributor

I totally agree with gvgraphics. You will do yourself a favor getting good equipment and software. A Graphtec CE5000 is a very good cutter and comes with a cutting "bridge" program although I would get a cutting program, Flexi, Signlab, CoCut and there are many others. I would also recommend CorelX3 design software, big bang for the buck.
    Good luck

4. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Welcome to a outstanding forum and bunch of ppl here ... really can not answer your question, mainly I believe it's best to learn the software before hardware and there is a ton out there, to me sending cutting and printing to other shops makes sense, let them stock inventory till I can afford buying some , let them spend big bucks on machines and maitainance,till I can afford time and money ...knows there is also big learning curve ...so to me one step ata time ...good luck
    freedom is not free

5. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Welcome to Signs101

Check out CoCut to cut from Illy

6. Sign Prophet

Sign Prophet Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Welcome from Long Beach, California. Stay away from china imports, Most if not all are junk. I have been down this road and would never reccommend the master cutter to anyone. Just my own opinon. Go with a name brand and save yourself some headaches.

7. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    Welcome From Oklahoma!

8. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    Our very own Old Paint a poster here has his own story about using a great cutter verses an OK cutter.
    He uses Rolands and swears by them. He recently obtained a high end Roland cutter and all he does is say how nice it is to have a REAL cutter on his work bench.
    His other cuters were OK. But now he says he understands the value of a GOOD cutter verses one that does its job.

His older cutters are for sale.