• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for advice

RustyM

Hey there
First time signing on and had a question about a plotter and software for a mac user. I have been in graphic design for 14 years and recently decided to get into signs. But I need to make sure what ever I get I can run off a mac and design in Illustrator and plug into whatever software to cut. I found two that I liked, US Cutter Compam with Sign Cut or Desay xy-300p with Flexi.
Just looking to see if anyone has any opinions or other ideas.
Thanks for reading

Rusty:help:

gvgraphics

The flexi software is a good choice. For the cutter go with a name brand cutter like Ioline, Roland, Suma, or GRAPHTEC. (I am not showing favoritism here). The cuts will be better and less problems. The cheaper cutters do have issues. There are allot of members who own them and have had good luck with them but some have had nothing but issues. So I think it is a hit or miss with the cheaper cutters. Plus resale value when you go to upgrade is allot more with a name brand cutter.

Just my $0.02

Sean

Jackpine

I totally agree with gvgraphics. You will do yourself a favor getting good equipment and software. A Graphtec CE5000 is a very good cutter and comes with a cutting "bridge" program although I would get a cutting program, Flexi, Signlab, CoCut and there are many others. I would also recommend CorelX3 design software, big bang for the buck.
Good luck

Craig Sjoquist

Welcome to a outstanding forum and bunch of ppl here ... really can not answer your question, mainly I believe it's best to learn the software before hardware and there is a ton out there, to me sending cutting and printing to other shops makes sense, let them stock inventory till I can afford buying some , let them spend big bucks on machines and maitainance,till I can afford time and money ...knows there is also big learning curve ...so to me one step ata time ...good luck
freedom is not free

Sign Prophet

Welcome from Long Beach, California. Stay away from china imports, Most if not all are junk. I have been down this road and would never reccommend the master cutter to anyone. Just my own opinon. Go with a name brand and save yourself some headaches.

Techman

Our very own Old Paint a poster here has his own story about using a great cutter verses an OK cutter.
He uses Rolands and swears by them. He recently obtained a high end Roland cutter and all he does is say how nice it is to have a REAL cutter on his work bench.
His other cuters were OK. But now he says he understands the value of a GOOD cutter verses one that does its job.

His older cutters are for sale.