• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for opinions...............................

ForgeInc

though I am not opposed to the concept of a mostly grayscale van as long as it has a bold color pop to set it off, not feelin the owl photo at all on either of 'em. It's too aggressive and even though I get the tie in to the name "wise signs" I just don't think it relates in any other way to what you do.

I think simple is better.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The lettering has nothing to do with it, yet. It's only for placement. The one I have posted here with some color is not quite the one I thought I had posted. Sorry. I have to look for it.

Okay, here is more along the lines some of us were thinking. van  owl colored.jpg

The lettering will be reflective. Don't know if we're doing the effects, but to combine it with the picture we have, I think it needs something.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
though I am not opposed to the concept of a mostly grayscale van as long as it has a bold color pop to set it off, not feelin the owl photo at all on either of 'em. It's too aggressive and even though I get the tie in to the name "wise signs" I just don't think it relates in any other way to what you do.

I think simple is better.

The owl has been our mascot for well over 30 years. That's not gonna change. Reason for it is.... my wife likes owls and combined with it's coming from the old saying.... 'wise old owl'.... it stays. That being said, when people call or talk to us on the phone or whatever, they'll say Y's Signs or EYE's Sign or whatever else rhymes with wise, so we just say... no, like 'wise old owl' and then they never forget it again.

The owl is going to be a part and I'm not sure if I want a retro kinda owl. It seems to lose some punch. That tends to be what every other business has and then it looks like we're mimicking them. I can't find a picture of an owl flying that looks pleasant.... that seems to be their nature, like most other birds of prey.

I'm picturing in my mind a big owl like graphic logo in the style of Dan Antonelli. All vector and forget photographs. I don't think a photo is necessary to get digital graphics across whether you're talking vehicles wraps or any other kind of full color work.

That was my first thought, too. With an owl similar to Mr. Owl of Tootsie Pop fame.

Attachments

• mr-owl.jpg
    mr-owl.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 107

CES020

I don't get the owl thing. I understand the "wise old owl", but that's an image of an owl standing still, used to portray that image. The image you are using is one of a raptor like pose, where it's hunting for the kill. Not the "Wise" owl, but the "hunting" owl.

I agree, it needs to be a cartoon owl from someone like Dan.

I think the owl looks cheesy and unprofessional and something you got off the internet, rather than something that brands your company and shows off your company's design skills.

SignManiac

I'll toss this out as another possible direction. Merely a concept but just a little bold and loud as to draw attention to your trucks? The owl eye has been done but maybe you can play around with some other variation of it?

Attachments

• Wise Signs.jpg
    Wise Signs.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 96

qmr55

Colorado hit it spot on. Go with something simple and clean that pops. I don't like the photograph owl at all. That will not be an effective "wrap" because it is difficult to read. For a company who pushes wraps, don't you think you should have an effective one to help sell customers?

Do you have a logo? I think you need to develop a logo, possibly including an illustrated owl if you want to go in that direction, and then once a clean readable logo is developed you can go onto designing an effective wrap. Even if you don't want to develop a logo, I think you can go with something a lot cleaner like Colorado's design and work from there!

Good luck!

ForgeInc

The owl has been our mascot for well over 30 years. That's not gonna change. Reason for it is.... my wife likes owls and combined with it's coming from the old saying.... 'wise old owl'.... it stays. That being said, when people call or talk to us on the phone or whatever, they'll say Y's Signs or EYE's Sign or whatever else rhymes with wise, so we just say... no, like 'wise old owl' and then they never forget it again.

The owl is going to be a part and I'm not sure if I want a retro kinda owl. It seems to lose some punch. That tends to be what every other business has and then it looks like we're mimicking them. I can't find a picture of an owl flying that looks pleasant.... that seems to be their nature, like most other birds of prey.

I think using an owl is fine, but I think using THAT owl is a big mistake.

SignManiac

I like these colors better. And here's a possible logo idea. Yeah, it's the end of the day, I'm tired and bored.

Attachments

• Wise Signs.jpg
    Wise Signs.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Wise Signs2.jpg
    Wise Signs2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 100

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Yessir an owl, especially one that looks pretty much like most any other bird of prey, swooping down in some unsuspecting furry creature makes me think of signs.

You might want to try for some image that convey signs and not just 'wise'. This one does neither.

SignManiac

Not sure how far along you've gotten Gino, but I'll toss out another idea in case you are still playing with a design. Would like to see what you guys ultimately come up with when it's done!

Attachments

• Wise Signs3.jpg
    Wise Signs3.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 93

ICeMAnAbk

Do you sell Owls, or signs?

Make Signs pop more. I'd have to say make the owl a somewhat subdued thing to keep them looking at the van like... "signs.. oh whats.... an owl..."

Figure, if you're driving down the road, they have 2 or 3 seconds to read it. make it count.

SignManiac

Thats a good point! Funny how we sometimes get tunnel vision and fixate on one thing only. I should know better, reminder... practice what I preach!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've put it on a back burner for now. Jeremy is working on it every now and then. We have regular customers to finish up, first.

Besides, I have mixed feelings with what to do. I appreciate all the feedback and we're seriously thinking about all the ideas and thoughts.

The one that comes to mind the most is the connection of an owl.... and signs.

• So Dunkin Donuts has a coffee cup as their logo….. yep, that makes sense.
  • Then there’s Nike’s ‘famous ‘swoosh’…. that makes plenty of sense.
  • Don’t forget Harley…. their logo does it all, but what does it mean ??
  • How 'bout Marlboro..... how does that fit in with cigarettes vs. an owl doesn't do signs ??

Are some of you really trying to tell me a logo must have a reinforced picture whether it be a real photo or a cartoonie matching what you do to make it work ??

I can see a marble company putting samples of marble on their truck or sign, I understand food pictures going on food related businesses, but how do I put a picture of a sign on a truck without someone thinking it’s whatever the picture is that I’m selling ??

So, if I have this straight….. in order for a logo to work it has to have some kind of visual reference as to what you do or sell.

I'm just afraid the eyes are way-y-y-y-y too close to this guy.... and low and behold, they even have an owl on them. How the heck does that sell chips ?? :banghead:
wise chip can.jpg

Last edited:

ForgeInc

Gino, I think you are missing the point. I would submit the majority of the feedback has nothing at all to do with the concept/idea of whether you should use an owl or not, it has to do with using THAT owl you currently have in your design.

I think the idea of using an owl is totally appropriate given your business name. But, I think using THAT photo of THAT owl, just simply doesn't work.

Not only does the photo not work, quite frankly there is nothing at all creative about it. It is simply a photo of an owl slapped on the side of a van. Whereas if you had a more stylized or illustrative version that looks more creative and original, THEN it it ties more to the business of a sign shop because there's more to it than simply looking like a stock photo.

Just my $.02.

deegrafix

I've seen some really nice art that is grayscale except for one thing or one color. In this case maybe just the eyes in a surprising bright color or the eyes, beak and claws. Think in terms of a black and white picture with a wine glass and only the wine is red. I'm liking it!