• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for some "Professional" Expertise

Gino

Premium Subscriber
First of all.... BIG CONGRATS on Ember Grace !!!!!

I'd start putting my feelers out and I'd be quiet about it. Talk to some of the vendors you have a good rapport with that won't go back to your boss, if you think they won't. They always know the ins-n-outs of all the local shops. You can find good employees that way..... and good new bosses. But with another little one, don't quit until you have a bonafide place to go.

GoodPeopleFlags

Reminds me of a place I worked years ago. Run, Forrest, Run! And don't look back. That place will eventually fail. You need to look out for yourself and your lil' ones! I don't know that area so I don't have any suggestions for you but keep looking and think beyond sign shops, too. Some large companies have their own graphics depts. Find a place that will appreciate your passion and talent!

TheSnowman

I don't know much about having employees because I don't have one, for this very reason...too much headache says everyone I've ever met with employees. It sounds like you are expecting a corporate job in a small business setup. If I'm paying someone salary, they are working at LEAST their 40 hours a week. If they take time off, that's fine, but if I'm paying them to not be there, they will be making that time up, or taking it from their vacation time. When I don't work, I don't get paid. I know that's different for almost everyone I come in contact with...but that's the theory I have.

If you'd already worked 40 hours, then that does seem a little odd that they'd make a stink about you being gone a day and a half for the birth of your child, but if you haven't worked those hours that you were paid for, I would also be assuming you'd be making up that time.

Ponto

First of all.... BIG CONGRATS on Ember Grace !!!!!

I'd start putting my feelers out and I'd be quiet about it. Talk to some of the vendors you have a good rapport with that won't go back to your boss, if you think they won't. They always know the ins-n-outs of all the local shops. You can find good employees that way..... and good new bosses. But with another little one, don't quit until you have a bonafide place to go.

This is good advice.... try to be discreet and don't burn any bridges if you can. Trying to find a good fit in the business world is daunting especially when your back is against the wall with obligations.....best of luck!

JP

SolitaryT

Thanks for the congrats on the daughter. She's doing great!

An update: things haven't changed. Apparently I'm being punished (along with my production guy, who isn't getting paid his overtime), for only doing $14k in February (I started here February 24th), and today, I didn't get paid. Today is payday. If my salary, after my deductions and rent, I'm getting about $150/month between two paychecks for groceries and gas money, bills (just had a baby), etc. Needless to say, I'm throwing the job search into full gear tonight. If anyone out there is looking for a graphics guy that can do layouts online, I can absolutely be a go-to until you get someone in shop. Let me know if you need a resume.

And to all of you hack sign shop franchise owners who aren't interested in the craft, just looking to turn an easy profit, shame on you. It's because of people like you, people who simply want to own a sign shop and go to your FAST-SIGNS-NOW-BY-TOMORROW-O-RAMA pep talks where you get all the info on how to spin your used-car sales speil to your customers, where you learn to berate your employees who are most likely creative, either with graphics, drawing, sculpting, or in carpentry in general for not making things "pop", for not giving things "that little extra", for not selling at all costs, despite lack of proper equipment, facilities, or staff, that people like me, people that own mom & pop sign shops who honestly do love what they do, we all suffer. To those of you sticking it out in similar situations, if you're young, get out of the trade, make some real money, and pick this up as a hobby when you can afford to go it alone.

I've been making signs for more than 10 years. I love what I do. I love creating something that makes a customer say "wow", that makes a customer invite me to their company Christmas parties, or show off what I made for them as theirs. I love seeing my signs hanging all over town. It breaks my heart that after 10 years, I've only had one or two employers who I feel honestly gave a **** about me in 8 (yes, eight) different companies. Why eight companies? Because two were closed or bought out, one folded, two downsized, one was in Alaska, and 6 paid less than $14.50/hour to a guy with experience and two kids to feed.

I pray to God that those of you who are actually running good shops, encouraging your employees to be creative, sharing the wealth with your employees instead of scolding them for not making your minimum monthly sales when all they have to work with is a ****ty old printer, broken laminator, and decades-old computers and software, I pray that you stay open, grow, and thrive. It'll probably never benefit me, but at least I'll know that someone out there is making signs and doing ok.

Okay, rant done... sorry for blurting this out, but I'm feeling really defeated right now, as if everything I've put into this industry is for naught.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
1. Six shops in 8 years is not a lot. You never need to justify that unless it's a job application ... and that is what the "reason for leaving" category is. And considering in the last 10 years my reason for leaving shops has been: sold company, relocated, shop closed, shop closed save for owner as side business ... then closed, no pay increase but tripled work load after firing 4 employees, owner died ... it happens. Shops come, shops go ... good ones strive to succeed.

2. Congrats on the kid. May you never sleep and be covered in stains. :toasting:

3. It's not legal for them to withhold pay from you. Contact a labor lawyer and sue them, also report them to the appropriate gov. agency in your area ... not kosher at all.

4. PM sent.

Look, when you are what can easily be called a Stupid-Visor (a supervisor with no benefits or real power to do anything other than get **** on ... ) ... it happens. Learn from this, don't burn the place down. Put them out of business by being better than them.

Talk to some of the vendors you have a good rapport with that won't go back to your boss, if you think they won't. They always know the ins-n-outs of all the local shops. You can find good employees that way..... and good new bosses.

This is probably one of the best tidbits of information I've heard on this forum.

Similar kind of story...

I have a friend who worked for two machine shops over about a 10 year period. He started at the bottom and worked his way up fast, tackling every challenge head on and learning the ins and outs of every machine in the place. He became management at the first place and used that experience to obtain a management position at the second shop. After a few years, he started talking to the guys who supply the tooling to the shop. Now he works for the supplier as a tooling salesman who makes upwards of $200,000 a year.

tsgstl

Might not be right for you but this is what I would do.
He is basically handing the keys over to you without you having to deal with the pressures and stress of being a owner.
maybe talk to him about getting a bonus if you make a certain amount of sales in one month. Maybe see if you can cut some of the overhead especially if they are not achieving.
if it fails you will gain essential experience and knowledge and connections to go on your own someday.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
He is basically handing the keys over to you without you having to deal with the pressures and stress of being a owner.
maybe talk to him about getting a bonus if you make a certain amount of sales in one month. Maybe see if you can cut some of the overhead especially if they are not achieving.
if it fails you will gain essential experience and knowledge and connections to go on your own someday.

He isn't getting paid now ... a bonus doesn't mean dink if he's not getting paid.

jen.reelez

Nice tip, agree with you.

Nothing to be wasted when one does his part well. :Big Laugh

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you punch a clock, fill out a time sheet or whatever.... and can prove you worked whatever hours, it's against the law for them to not pay you, unless you did something illegal, but then you'd be in jail, instead of here writing this. Also, to deny someone overtime is big-time illegal anywhere USofA.

First of all, don't do anything foolish. This sounds more like they are trying to make you quit. Dangling false paychecks and verbal threats at you are hard to prove, but you putting down on paper you quit, will get them outta trouble. So, no punching the bossman out or yelling at him creating an insubordination claim on their part. There are many laws in place to protect both the employer and the employee, so don't blow it on your end, please.

If you're only gonna get a few pennies of your work time, I'd simply have him put it on paper outlining everything they have done and then have them date it and sign it and then tell them you're gonna take this to the Department of Labor/Unemployment Compensation Office. This little trick will either make 'em sh!t or get off the pot.

If they balk, tell them firmly, but politely, you will not be held responsible for their shortcomings of monthly gross sales. Or are you ?? If not, you will not accept penalties for something which was not written in, on your job description.

I wish you were closer, cause we're gonna be hiring an all-around person soon. We're probably gonna lose one of our people, due to some family issues.

This is really important, so keep updating this thread as things progress.

............and a BIG Good Luck !! :thumb:

Shadowglen

Bozeman is a great place. With the knowledge and skills you boast you shouldn't have a problem finding work at one of the other sign businesses in the area. a search shows about 12 shops. somebody else must be hiring in the area. If you are getting paid an agreed on salary then this is what the MT labor site says.

"If, under the employment agreement, a salary sufficient to meet the minimum wage requirements in every work week is paid as straight time pay for whatever number of hours are worked, the regular rate is arrived at by dividing the salary by the hours worked each week. For example, suppose an employee's work hours vary each week and the agreement with employer is that they will be paid $400 a week for whatever number of hours of work are required. Under this pay agreement, their regular rate will vary when they work overtime. If they work 50 hours, their regular rate is $8 an hour ($400 divided by 50 hours). In addition to their salary, they are due one-half the regular rate for each of the 10 overtime hours -- or a total of $440 for the week."

Pound the bricks in the area if you don't want to move. It looks like there should be opportunity.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
If you can sell it really doesn't matter if they have crappy equipment and software just sell and outsource what you can't do even if that means outsourcing everything, all that matters is if you can sell. If you want to make it anywhere you have to be able to adapt to drastic situations sometimes on the road to the top. I know you can get great outsource connections on here for sure.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Whoa I missed the part about not getting paid, you don't get paid anything? Hit the road if that's the case.

Stanton

Okay, so here's my situation: blah bla bla...

You sound a tad bit snivelly.
You are just an employee.

You get paid for hours of work for a reason.

What do you have to offer?

I am thinking you show up late for work and have an excuse.
Make your point now.

Why are you worth more than $10.75 / hr ?

What can you do for me, (or any employer)?

As an employer, I never cared about my workers life style or children.

You need to make yourself valuable.
Make yourself necessary.

Lots of others want an entry level job.

What do you know how to do?

One through seven..... Make a list.

I am guessing you run out of s#it at three.

Reality is brutal.

DigiPrinter

You sound a tad bit snivelly.
You are just an employee.

You get paid for hours of work for a reason.

What do you have to offer?

I am thinking you show up late for work and have an excuse.
Make your point now.

Why are you worth more than $10.75 / hr ?

What can you do for me, (or any employer)?

As an employer, I never cared about my workers life style or children.

You need to make yourself valuable.
Make yourself necessary.

Lots of others want an entry level job.

What do you know how to do?

One through seven..... Make a list.

I am guessing you run out of s#it at three.

Reality is brutal.

Stanton, you sound like a miserable person......I'm guessing on a list from 1 to 10 you can get to ten x-wives, on an ego scale you probably think your off the charts, you probably think people are worth less than minimum wage.....and, I don't have anymore time for you.