• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for waterborne, non-latex, exterior grade, glossy paints

chrisinestes

I use exterior latex paints when I can for outdoor signage that require paint. They work better than any other paint I've found, but won't work when vinyl film needs to be used on a painted sign. Oil based sign paints are messy to clean up, and they chalk way too soon.

I've used Ronan's Auqacote in the past, but I can't get it w/o having it shipped to me, and it'll freeze this time of year. I used Sherwin Williams Hydrogloss industrial water based 1-part polyurethane paint on a project earlier this year and it seemed to work well, but it's the first time I've used it, and I don't know how long it'll last.

So, I'm looking for a long lasting, water based, exterior paint that'll work well with vinyl. What have you used with success?

Thanks!
Chris

blufftonsignguy

Have you tried Mathews Paints? I have been using Sherwin Williams Resilience with pretty good sucess. The vinyl out lasts the paint here for sure

chrisinestes

I've used Mathews with poor results. It's chalked in only about 5 years, and it's solvent based, so that doesn't fit my water based desire. I've had the best luck with vinyl sticking to Sherwin Williams Super Paint, but it's not great where I am because it can go from -30 F in the Winter to +90 in the Summer, and the plasticizer differences are too great.

The search continues...

Thanks for the input,
Chris

OldPaint

ok............then you need to learn how to use..
WATER BASED AUTOMOTIVE PAINT...........bring lots of money with you)))

chrisinestes

ok............then you need to learn how to use..
WATER BASED AUTOMOTIVE PAINT...........bring lots of money with you)))

It'd be nice to be set up with a spray booth and all the bases & clears & colors for that, but it's not the answer for my small shop.

Chris

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Have you ever tried using Sherwin Williams All Surface Acrylic Latex or DTM acrylic? I understand what you're saying about avoiding latex, but vinyl seems to bond fine. I personally didn't care for the Resilience paint. It seemed to stay soft forever.

chrisinestes

Have you ever tried using Sherwin Williams All Surface Acrylic Latex or DTM acrylic? I understand what you're saying about avoiding latex, but vinyl seems to bond fine. I personally didn't care for the Resilience paint. It seemed to stay soft forever.

I'm sure enough that anything with latex, or some similar plasticizer won't work for long term vinyl stickage. I have used their DTM paint before, and completely forgot about it for this use. It's 100% acrylic, so it might work. I will check it out.

Thanks!
Chris

OldPaint

It'd be nice to be set up with a spray booth and all the bases & clears & colors for that, but it's not the answer for my small shop.

Chris
so you cant do these without the "total" setup???? now youre being ridiculous.
I SPRAY AUTOMOTIVE A/E & URETHANES.........
no spray booth, and only buy what paint i need from an AUTOMOTIVE PAINT SUPPLIER......... they will mix your color, pint, quarts or gals...........and most of these places DELIVER ....
small items can be sprayed outdoors......respirator...... a must......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdZzp9nUb5U

TimToad

so you cant do these without the "total" setup???? now youre being ridiculous.
I SPRAY AUTOMOTIVE A/E & URETHANES.........
no spray booth, and only buy what paint i need from an AUTOMOTIVE PAINT SUPPLIER......... they will mix your color, pint, quarts or gals...........and most of these places DELIVER ....
small items can be sprayed outdoors......respirator...... a must......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdZzp9nUb5U

Perhaps the OP has a concern about the environment and airborne pollutants being haphazardly into the atmosphere.

OldPaint

FYI...................
WATER BORNE PAINTS ARE ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY)))) thats one of the reason people are using them hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaa
Water-Based Automotive Paint Is Better for the Environment
Regular automotive paints release carbon dioxide and volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which are toxic to the environment. These VOCs taint air quality by creating environmentally harmful ozone, which also creates a toxic environment for workers. Since DuPont Cromax Pro automotive paint is water based, it reduces carbon dioxide and VOC emissions by more than half, putting less stress on our atmosphere. Since many regular automotive paints require four different steps to apply multiple layers of paint and clearcoat, the one-step process of DuPont Cromax Pro waterborne paint uses less product. Less product used is less product wasted, not to mention less use of equipment and manpower with twice the results!

rjssigns

Waterborne auto paints still use a solvent base low VOC clear. So they're only 50% environmentally friendly.:wink:

OldPaint

so as i said........spraying it on less area then a full VEHICLE........ can be done without a spray booth))) and still be environmentally freindly..

equippaint

Most waterbornes require a clear and the single stage wb paints weve seen for industrial dont seem to hold gloss very well. Id recommend a solvent based industrial 2 part polyurethane enamel such as sherwin williams high solids poly. Not sure about CO but in Florida 5 years is quite a long time for most paints to retain full gloss, unless youre using a urethane clear or something expensive like awlgrip or an automotive 2k poly. You can roll the industrial paints too. Just wear an OV respirator and nitrile gloves to protect yourself from the isos in the hardener, $15-20, 3m, gerson etc. The oil based alkyd enamels dont usually hold up well, like Rustoleum.

its technically illegal to spray outside of a booth, full car or not, waterborne or solvent paint with the exception of a touchup gun and a really small cup. Industrial is different when there is no way to put the machine, building, bridge etc into a booth but even then they want you to use best practices and alternative methods to capture or eliminate the emissions. 99% of paint booths dont capture any VOCs either, youll only see this sort of thing in a major manufacturing facility that puts out too many VOCs and exceeds federal/state exemptions and/or air use permits. You can always roll any paint you want but still need to be careful in a closed in space with solvent evaporation and the associated explosion risks. I think the waterbornes environmental friendliness is a bit overstated as well, its only eliminating the airborne hazard but most paints have trace heavy metals and such in them that make them a hazard and really stuff thats water soluble in my mind creates a potential for water pollution that would be very hard to seperate out to clean the water. A paint booth more protects your neighbors from overspray and most have fire protection in them but they really dont do much environmentally if that is your main concern.

fresh

we use sherwin williams dtm or all surface enamel all the time. i love that i can go get a quart mixed in the correct color!

chrisinestes

Thanks for the help on this. There are some good ideas in there.

I'm looking for a waterborne coating solution in this instance. I'm tired of the cleanup associated with oil & solvent paints. I can't justify an automotive type water based system for my small shop. I may need to use this type of paint 1 or 2 times per year. The cost for materials is too high.... $1000 worth of primer/paint/clear for a $1000 sign doesn't leave much room for profit. :Big Laugh

The Nova paints look interesting. Looks like they're direct order only, so that won't work because it'll freeze on the way to me.

Hey fresh: Do you apply vinyl over the S/W DTM?

Thanks!
Chris

equippaint

We demod some SW DTM polyurethane and applied cut vinyl (651) on it with no problems, for what we do I just wasnt crazy about the paint but it was solvent based. Look at BLP mobile, they have waterborne single stage (no clear needed), colors are limited but they have the basics, pricing is good. We buy mostly all BLP products, it holds up well and is relatively inexpensive. Personally I think its easier to clean up solvent and oil based paints but you know what they say about opinions.

OldPaint

WELL..... you pretty well made it 1 option:
AUTOMOTIVE WATER BORN PAINT............or you could by some acrylic artist paints in a tube.........they are not latex..............