• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking into a possible CNC

artbot

you want to go just 4'. make sure the table cuts at least 49" (because mdf and others run 49"). mine goes out to 52" x 98". just enough to make a 4x8 not too tight. as far as the used system. if it's in decent shape it will do the job. vacuum hold down for here and there cutting isn't a must. i have a so-so vacuum table on mine (home made). but most of the time. i know where the file is dropping and i simply drill some short drywall screws through the substrate and literally screw the sheet to the table. for small pieces this can be odd because your part can get a little squirrelly when the bit finishes the cut. i'd say $10,000 would buy you are really sweet used low end table. really nice table indeed. it would be a while before you get savvy enough to need more table. also beware of very very nice, once extremely expensive tables. it would be like buying a way old flatbed printer. keep the table simple and with a large community to discuss techniques and maintenance.

check out this deal

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13258

this one has a lot of upgrades for 15k.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13230

Kottwitz-Graphics

we should start a thread of ugly equipment. wired together, duct taped, covers off, leaking....

Count me in...I'll just have to get photos....

And I'll make sure that I get a shot of the ancient computer that drives it with the Windows 98 start up screen in the background...

J Hill Designs

heh i have a squirrly win 98 comp running mine as well - half the time I boot up it just doesnt and half the time it does - cant update because of the proprietary serial card needed to communicate

andy

Ha Ha, I got you beat... I paid $1500 for my POS Gerber, and like you it has made me lots of money.

Mine is so bad, I have to increase the size 1.05% just to be the correct size, and I can't figure out why it does that.

One thing to go for is table size. Mine is 27" x 48", and I can panel, but its a pita... I'd rather have a 4' x 8' table.

Sounds to me like the setup data in your control software is not quite right... the numerical values which tell the control software what gearing ratios it's working with are wrong. If you're having to increase files by 0.5% I suspect that the gear size in your control software is smaller than the actual gearing on the machine.... this would explain why things aren't coming out at the exact size they should be.

The other answer is someone "repaired" your machine before you bought it and replaced either a ball screw or a drive gear with a new part which "looked" the right size but is actually slightly undersize.

If you spend a hour poking around your machine with a vernier guage you will probably find a relatively easy way to fix the sizing problem.

cdiesel

Just to show the other side of the coin, our new Zund will be here next week.. Total price is $175k.

OhioSignShop

do you get smooth curves and straight lines in say acrylic with the Shopbot? the price being so low I wonder if it has some major flaw I'm missing

Techman

Shop bot is a fine machine. IT has nice curves and nice straights.
So does my machine. It cost way less than a shop bot.

artbot

keep in mind i know very very little about programming cnc files. i learned what i need to learn to make it work and that was it. ...i draw my files on a proxy platen in corel, export to .dxf, shopbot software converts the file to a .sbp and that is as much as i know.

i've noticed if i chinch on the nodes i get a notch here and there. like using absolute minimum nodes in corel (one single node for a very sharp turn instead of two or three). but long smooth curves and straight lines... those are always perfect.

JJM7288

Reviving an old thread, found when researching CNC machines.

We purchased an AXYZ Pacer 4010. It's been up and running for three weeks and I must say it is an awesome machine. The ease of use, quiet precision and edge quality produced is absolutely amazing. Every individual at AXYZ we have been in contact with has been first rate. Their tooling subsidiary, CNC Router Shop has everything in stock with quick delivery. Our first large project completed with this machine installed yesterday and we have a VERY satisfied customer.