• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to get a CNC router

m!snyder

I've read some of the old threads but i thought there may be some fresh opinions ...

anyway...
We're looking at AXYZ, Shopbot, and PracticalCNC ...

I'd like to know what kind of dent this is going to make in our fundage after its all said and done and what add-ons we can't do with out, regardless of the machine ...

we already have 3 phase, a dust collector, & air compressors in the shop...

thanks ...

Checkers

Check out the Letterhead/PinHead talk area at www.letterhead.com/ubb
There's been a lot of discussion about them lately.
Two guys who recently bought them were Dan Sawatzky & Raymond Chapman. I also think Rene Giroux was at the AXYZ booth in Atlantic City over the weekend.
The search engine there will turn up a lot of info too.

Checkers

Shopbot is coming out with a new improved model (PRS) next year, check out their site http://shopbottools.com They also have the best online forums and phone customer service for CNC

Best part is they have free cnc camps all over the US, so you can learn to do more than just signs with it. I would check out the forum and just read what new members / current members / potential customers are saying about them. Heck, even read the blogs too

iSign

1 reply... & I knew it would already have the link I came to post... if you didn't, go follow that link... that post is so chock full of good info, it just won't get any better then that!

k.a.s.

We looked at Gerber, AXYZ & Multi-Cam when we bought our router, I think the Gerber is a good machine but extremely overpriced I think the other two are very comparable machines but the Multi-Cam guys gave us better deal so thats what we ended up with. I have been really pleased with the Multi-Cam and have not had any problems. I've never heard of practicalCNC, and don't really know anything about Shopbot other than that to me it looked kind of cheap compared to the others(just my opinion). Remember that the software dictates what you can do more than the router does, I know its not cheap but we have been happy with Artcam.

kevin

SqueeGee

We just got training on our new AXYZ. They have been great to work with and they include software with the router (ToolPath). We're obviously still learning, but are happy so far.

We bought a 4010 which actually gives you a 5' x 10' table. We also added a tool changer and extra Z axis with an engraver head.

I checked Gerber, MultiCam and AXYZ before buying. I agree with the post above, Multicam and AXYZ seem very comparable. I think it just depends on who you get the warm and fuzzies about.

Techman

If you are just goona use it for a glorified saber saw or jig saw. Don't bother.
Be sure to know that you will be required to purchase or render your own textures.

m!snyder

Thanks for the input ...

We're actually thinking about replacing our blasting booth with the CNC ... partly because we all hate blasting, and also because we'd have the only CNC router in a 200 mile radius.

k.a.s.

If you are just goona use it for a glorified saber saw or jig saw. Don't bother.
Be sure to know that you will be required to purchase or render your own textures.

No offense, but I think useing it as a glorified jigsaw is great. While we do a lot of dimentional stuff with it, one of the best things about it is never having to cut a pattern and hand cut a sign. Better yet all the signs are perfect, multiple shapes match exactly. If I never cut a dimentional sign again the router was still worth the money.

Kevin