• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking to update 3 design computers

heyskull

It has been a while since I updated the computers and the amount of moaning I am getting from staff I can't stand it no more!!!!
Help!

We are running Signlab 9.1, Corel, Adobe, Etc.
Obviously budget is an issue as I am buying three units.
I just need a rough spec. as I will either buy something roughly built or if I can find time build them myself!
I have a seperate machine that runs or RIP but one of these units would be attached to the plotters etc.

We are currently running pentium quad cores with 4gb of ram and 1gb nvidia adapters and also 500GB drives.
We are using Windows XP and would be willing to move to Windows 7 but I could not be bothered with trying to learn this lot windows 8!

Cheers
SC

Locals Find!

We have a merchant member here signburst PCs that would be the guy to talk too. He builds computer for the sign industry.

Check him out you could probably find exactly what you need at a fair price.

Locals Find!

Well since apparently UPS took the UK off it's list of foreign countries it deliveries too. My advice remains the same. Talk to signburst I am sure he would me more than happy to help consult with you on what would best fit your needs, or you could look at the specs of his machines and price out locally.

Either way you go. Your going to get better advice from someone that truly understands what your needs are versus the geek at the local shop selling to gamers & web surfers.

visual800

go with the dell xps line of comps. we always buy used ones to save money. right now we run run dell xps 8300s and are very pleased with them

round man

I suggest you check out the prices at Dell for refurbished units and scratched a dented units often as not you'll get a great deal if you don't mind a minor dent or scratch,....neither will affect their perforrmance

MikePro

+1 signburst

if not, and building your own seems like a headache then buy used and then upgrade the heck outta them. SSD's, RAM, and GFXcards all-around!

Kaiser

If you're going to decide on building your own Id suggest my setup as a base. You can work out from here what you REALLY need to fit within your budget but trust me... This is worth it and more than you'll need for quite a while. Or not...

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE MB
CPU: Intel i7-3770, 3,4GHz
RAM: 4x4Gb DDR3
HDD 1 + 2: SSD Intel 520 series 60GB(Adobe Scratchdisk ONLY) + 120GB(OS and Other Software)
HDD Archive: 2TB Western Digital SATAIII
Graphics: ATI PCle FirePro V4800 1024Mb
Monitor: Asus PA246Q 24"

All the rest is up to you.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
If you're going to decide on building your own Id suggest my setup as a base. You can work out from here what you REALLY need to fit within your budget but trust me... This is worth it and more than you'll need for quite a while. Or not...

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE MB
CPU: Intel i7-3770, 3,4GHz
RAM: 4x4Gb DDR3
HDD 1 + 2: SSD Intel 520 series 60GB(Adobe Scratchdisk ONLY) + 120GB(OS and Other Software)
HDD Archive: 2TB Western Digital SATAIII
Graphics: ATI PCle FirePro V4800 1024Mb
Monitor: Asus PA246Q 24"

All the rest is up to you.

That's a nice setup...but if he's running Win 32bit that 16GB of DDR is a waste. He needs to specify what OS he will be running.

WildWestDesigns

Win 8 64bit

Didnt actually want win 8. but..... oh well.

You know, I actually like Win 8 Pro on my Cintiq tablet. I don't think that I would for the same if it was a regular desktop, but for the touchscreen tablet that runs ES3, Ai, Gimp, Scribus, Inkscape it does really well. If "you" are going to be running a touchscreen, it really is a nice OS. Doesn't take to long to get used to it either which I was worried about as well.

choucove

There's a lot of resistance with people moving to Windows 8 for one reason and only one: there is no start menu. Yes, Windows 8 has done away with the ol' Start in favor of a new UI interface (which a lot of neat things can be done with, by the way.) But if you don't like the fact of not having a start menu in Windows 8 it is VERY easy to fix. First, you can update to Windows 8.1. While this doesn't integrate a full start menu as we are used to in previous versions of Windows, you can just right click on the Windows icon down at the bottom corner (same place as the normal Start button) and it brings up a start menu from which pretty much every function of the computer can be performed! If that still doesn't cut it for you, there are TONS of free applications which add in a start menu to Windows which functions the same way as your previous versions of Windows.

We've been selling more and more Windows 8 computers, and while we've heard from a couple customers that it took a little getting used to, after a week or two they have all said the same thing. "It's better than I thought, and I'm glad that I got it."

Techman

win 8 sucks. It is hated for a reason. Simply because they made changes just to make changes does not make for a great OS. Having to spend precious time to relearn the OS, inefficient and jus tplain bad..

I have one win8 unit here and it will soon be back to win 7 as soon as it goes offline for a few days.

phototec

go with the dell xps line of comps. we always buy used ones to save money. right now we run run dell xps 8300s and are very pleased with them

I suggest you check out the prices at Dell for refurbished units and scratched a dented units often as not you'll get a great deal if you don't mind a minor dent or scratch,....neither will affect their perforrmance

As mentioned already, you can't go wrong with a Dell XPS 8300, sure you can spend a lot more money on a special computer, but I have been using a Dell XPS Intel Core i7 (2nd Gen) 2600 3.4 GHz Processor - 16 GB RAM - with a pair of 1 TB 7200 RPM Hard Drives -Running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium and have no trouble with Adobe CS6 or VersaWorks, extremely fast and efficient.

I purchase a used (refurbished) XPS 8300 on ebay for a great price, added more RAM and second hard drive, here is a link to a good deal on ebay with FREE shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-X8300-6059-XPS-8300-Desktop-PC-Intel-Core-i7-2nd-Gen-2600-3-4-GHz-/281221620234?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item417a1d620a

Good Luck!

WildWestDesigns

win 8 sucks. It is hated for a reason. Simply because they made changes just to make changes does not make for a great OS.

Simply because they made changes to an OS doesn't make for a sucky OS.

If you are using it on a regular desktop, I can understand why someone wouldn't like it. But, I would be surprised someone didn't like it on a touchscreen device. Depending on the person that told me that they didn't like it on a touchscreen, I would have to wonder if they were just saying that to be saying it, especially if they already had it in their mind that it sucked. It works very much on my Cintiq. Some of the things that make the OS different work on that device. Now they wouldn't make sense if someone was using a regular desktop.

Having to spend precious time to relearn the OS, inefficient and jus tplain bad..

Having to relearn the new version of Wilcom sucked. They made all kind of changes. It still is the best program, even if I did have to relearn the layout and options that they changed. It sure took me longer to relearn that program then it did for me to adjust to Win 8 Pro.

WildWestDesigns

There's a lot of resistance with people moving to Windows 8 for one reason and only one: there is no start menu. Yes, Windows 8 has done away with the ol' Start in favor of a new UI interface (which a lot of neat things can be done with, by the way.) But if you don't like the fact of not having a start menu in Windows 8 it is VERY easy to fix. First, you can update to Windows 8.1. While this doesn't integrate a full start menu as we are used to in previous versions of Windows, you can just right click on the Windows icon down at the bottom corner (same place as the normal Start button) and it brings up a start menu from which pretty much every function of the computer can be performed! If that still doesn't cut it for you, there are TONS of free applications which add in a start menu to Windows which functions the same way as your previous versions of Windows.

We've been selling more and more Windows 8 computers, and while we've heard from a couple customers that it took a little getting used to, after a week or two they have all said the same thing. "It's better than I thought, and I'm glad that I got it."

The way that it is setup on a touchscreen device, the start button isn't necessary at all. It is more of a "comfortable blanket" for people that need something from the previous OS to this new one. Again though, this is using a touchscreen, if it's a regular desktop, then I would be thinking differently on the same things that I like about this OS.

I think MS's worse decision was to have one version of the OS for all devices when they should have had a touchscreen version and a desktop version. It may be a far more logistical problem then I would think as I am not a programmer, but that is what I would think would be the best thing. Had it been done that way, I don't think there would have been quite as much negativity (except from those that hate change period).

Kaiser

Its just a personal preference. Im not one for window or tabbed browsing. Win 8.1 is above all a little faster so it is a good idea to upgrade for that reason alone anyway.

choucove

I can definitely agree that the first initial step of getting Windows 8 was a big change even for me. I'm a computer guy, and even with the release of the Win 8 Beta running on my primary desktop it took me a week or so to get acclimated to how things were set up. For instance, having to shut down your computer differently. It's a small thing, but change where that's located and people freak out!

However, with the release of Windows 8.1, which is a free update for any Windows 8 computer, pretty much every complaint or suggestion that was made about the operating system and it's difficulty navigating was addressed. People didn't like the hidden charms bars on the sides? Fine, you can disable those if you wish. Don't like your computer booting up into the Windows Start screen? Two clicks and you can instead now boot to your desktop. Having a hard time finding how to get to the Start screen? Well it's placed in three areas (including your keyboard) but we'll also include an actual start button you can click on now to make it clear.

These "fixes" alone make the operating system so much more functional. Add to that the huge list of additional features that are included with Windows to fit a HUGE possible market and need (including Storage Spaces, one of the best touchscreen systems currently available, a growing application market for simple one-click downloads and installs of all kinds of utilities, and even integrating enterprise features such as file version history and Hyper-V) and you have something that Windows 7 just can't do. Granted, 95% of the consumer market are not going to need most of those features, but it's still features that Windows 7 can't even do.

I believe that into the future Microsoft has the right idea for, as the catch phrase seems to go, "One OS to rule them all." After all, it's easier for people to pick up and work with technology in one way and apply that across all their devices then having to learn one OS and their programs for their computer, a whole different OS and interface and applications for their phones, another for their media players, etc. As everything becomes more interconnected, one interface for everything that is similar is obviously the easiest way for people to pick up and utilize your products. It's just a huge step that consumers I don't think were quite yet ready for or expecting. Microsoft is working to narrow the field between computers and "other devices" and we will continue to see this shift not only from Microsoft but also look at what Apple has done with their products, same as Google and the Android platform. The only thing that keeps these devices and our computers separate right now is how we actually interact with them. If every phone had a keyboard and mouse connected to it, we'd probably be utilizing an interface much more like Windows 7 than what we see with Windows 8. Likewise, the computer will continue to adapt interface features from mobile devices as we use more and more of our phones for everyday tasks.

visual800

As mentioned already, you can't go wrong with a Dell XPS 8300, sure you can spend a lot more money on a special computer, but I have been using a Dell XPS Intel Core i7 (2nd Gen) 2600 3.4 GHz Processor - 16 GB RAM - with a pair of 1 TB 7200 RPM Hard Drives -Running 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium and have no trouble with Adobe CS6 or VersaWorks, extremely fast and efficient.

I purchase a used (refurbished) XPS 8300 on ebay for a great price, added more RAM and second hard drive, here is a link to a good deal on ebay with FREE shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-X8300-6059-XPS-8300-Desktop-PC-Intel-Core-i7-2nd-Gen-2600-3-4-GHz-/281221620234?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item417a1d620a

Good Luck!

I always have 2 computers in case 1 explodes and you know eventually it will, lol both are exactly identical except 1 has ablsoutely nothing on it but back up files and software

the last 8300 I got was for $350.00 free shipping. The auction was ending at a very irregular time and I happened to be awake. most of the time they are gonna run about$500-650 but as I and this guy mentioned are well worth it. I also run 2 harddrives in each computer tand they are all backed up to one another

Before this line of xps I was running XPS 410 with XP. I had those comps for about 4 years till I bought these and THOSE were still doing good and they went back on ebay. The thing about computers is they all use the same internal chinese parts in them. these parts are no different in one machine than the other. You might be paying for an updated case loaded with pretty lights and posts and thats it.

Dont fall for the pretty stuff it aint worth it