• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looks like im still here

SlightlyChilled

So after a "little nervures brake down you could say" more just doubting my self. I'm going to try and keep going. I just can't stop thinking about signs and cutting vinyl. I love it to much in my blood. I just needed to take a step back and regroup....

GypsyGraphics

awwww... so sorry to hear you're going through a rough time, but so glad to hear you're not letting it get the best of you... and that you're not giving up on something you still love.

does it help to know you're not alone? i know several people going through the same thing... myself included. i was toying with a career change... but having such a hard time letting go of something i loved for so long. it took just what you said "a step back and regroup" for me to not walk away from a business after 17 (nearly all good) years.

not back to my hay days just yet, but i am enjoying it again.... and soooo glad i figure out in time, what was lacking and didn't rush off to do something less fulfilling to lift my spirits and reduce the stress.

it sounds like you made the right decision for yourself as well. i wish the best for you :loveya:
xoxo -gg

SlightlyChilled

I can see why in this line of work. This was my second one. I really start to over think things. I hold my standers so high it drives me nuts I see things no one other then me can see or care about for that matter. Now if I could only g back to school for design I would be a happy man.

Biker Scout

I've come back into the fray, so to speak after a self imposed exile. However, I made up some rules for myself that I'm holding myself to that is making this kind of work more enjoyable again.

You've got to find a niché that you feel comfortable in. Like have you ever said, "I wish all my clients/jobs were that great..." ?? Then pursue those kind of jobs only. Want to do more consulting, then do that. Want to only work with architectural firms and do the cool vinyl jobs that pay? Then do that... Hate banners and the time they consume for what little they pay? Then refuse to do them, and just outsource them. Wanna get paid a retainer fee every month for designing stuff, or not? Then pursue those kind of business relationships and sign those kind of contracts. Wanna take your printer to a small south pacific island and sit on the beach selling sunset t-shirts to tourists? Then make plans to make it happen.

The list is endless really. But in the end, you need to follow your bliss, and you will ultimately be happy for it. No one can define what "it" is except for you. But just go out and start something. Doing the same thing like everybody else is doing is boring, tedious and you will have another break down, and your health will deteriorate.

Locals Find!

I can see why in this line of work. This was my second one. I really start to over think things. I hold my standers so high it drives me nuts I see things no one other then me can see or care about for that matter. Now if I could only g back to school for design I would be a happy man.

Then go back to school for design then. If there is a will there is a way.

Jillbeans

I know what you mean. I wish I didn't care so much about signs and layouts.
That way it would be easy to just give up.
But dammit, I have been at this for 29 years now.
It literally is killing me inside to not have any work, and to see utter sh!t work that the hacks are doing here.
I am going to re-invent myself this year, take myself down to the bare bones.
Lose all the riff raff crappy clients and let the hacks have them, and they can clusterf*ck themselves into cheap vynull oblivion.
I can't work with others at this point. I have had two real jobs in the past three years, the first one was utter hell and I got made fun of for talking about fonts and bad layouts.
I had to waitress and wait on my sign customers, most who have gone on to the hacks.
"Aren't you doing the signs anymore?"
Very humiliating.
Luckily I got a new job where I work out of sight.
My co-worker is nice to look at and I get a great workout, have dropped 10 pounds and a jeans size. I doodle on the boxes we ship out (to lots of sign companies)
But anyhoo, I am selling my house and moving. I will take my three good customers with me.
Plan on designing like I do for other shops.
Selling small novelty signs.
I will probably get a real job out there too, but at least nobody knows me.
I did try to better my community, and I meant well.
Too bad people only care about price these days.
Love....Jill

Biker Scout

Jill, have you thought about turning your love for painting into items people want to buy? Sell your wares on Etsy. Something as simple as a hand painted back splash tile with a nice quote actually sells pretty well. What about retro looking metal signs with snarky sayings on them? I know it sounds kitschy, but things like that really to make people a decent living, without having to deal with customers. Plus there are art fares and shows you could attend. There is opportunity all around for the talented. Working for someone else is never as gratifying, I know.

petepaz

i think you get that with any job/career when it gets super busy or stressful. just have to have out of office hobbies to help relieve the stress, my hobby is scotch. when i get stressed out i just bury my self in my hobby, crack open a bottle of 18year old and the stress drifts away...haha but seriously i work a lot of hours as do most of you and you just need something that you can do to help relax or just to take your mind off the work for a short time and come back refreshed and ready to tackle it again. for me i coach basketball, drink, relax on the deck, drink, do something with the grandkids, drink but what ever works for you (drink)

Marlene

it is almost like we need a different kind of business model where a few designers/sign makers and installers set up shop as a group, separate but equal. kind of like a hair salon where you are your own boss, rent a chair and share out what you don't specialize in to one of the others. people would still be self-employed but would have the benefit of shared rent/utilities/equipment and such and would have ready access to areas we don't work in

Gino

Premium Subscriber
i think you get that with any job/career when it gets super busy or stressful. just have to have out of office hobbies to help relieve the stress, my hobby is scotch. when i get stressed out i just bury my self in my hobby, crack open a bottle of 18year old and the stress drifts away...haha but seriously i work a lot of hours as do most of you and you just need something that you can do to help relax or just to take your mind off the work for a short time and come back refreshed and ready to tackle it again. for me i coach basketball, drink, relax on the deck, drink, do something with the grandkids, drink but what ever works for you (drink)

I'm kinda partial to the drinking part. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you stuck it out. Many times, you'll find..... all ya need is to re-charge the batteries..... be it take a vacation, go do something fun by yourself or with the family or just mediate. Meditate about who you're gonna take out to reduce the competition in your area or what size bullets you'll be using.

No matter what you do, the same 'everything' is still gonna be there, waiting for you, but now you can face it head on with a clear mind and take the bull by the horns, instead of letting a situation rule/ruin your life.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
it is almost like we need a different kind of business model where a few designers/sign makers and installers set up shop as a group, separate but equal. kind of like a hair salon where you are your own boss, rent a chair and share out what you don't specialize in to one of the others. people would still be self-employed but would have the benefit of shared rent/utilities/equipment and such and would have ready access to areas we don't work in

You're a hippie. That's a capitalistic commune set up.................. :Big Laugh I believe they're actually doing that out in Colorado as we speak.

hansman

Jill
Sorry to hear that as IMHO you are really talented.
Where you move is really important. If you were to pick say Detroit well..........
If I had to pick a spot with the most growth potential I would pick San Fran or Silicon Valley.
They are tossing $$$$ like they are printing it in the back rooms!
One drawback> It is one of the most expensive places to live in the country.

CentralSigns

Sad to hear so many having a slow time. We were beyond swamped this year, stress-fully beyond, couldn't keep up. Seems all people want is hack signs lately, though. Either they want the world for nothing or they want a hack job, that a two year old could do. Sometimes it amazes me what people want to self design, into a readable sign, I feel guilty taking the money for their hack signs, knowing for 20% more they could have a decent sign, but most don't want to hear it. Good for them?