• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Loosing money - best estimating program

WildWestDesigns

suddenly other people cut your price and or maybe lower the quality.

These 2 are very rarely by themselves (in my experience), unless people just don't know their numbers. Which gets into the OP's problem.

Time to decide if it is really worth keeping that item.

Really, for me (and only me) it would depend if I wasn't bringing something else to the table for that product (quality, knowledge, support etc) would I consider getting rid of it. Bare in mind, my main product is just about only thought of as a commodity as it is, so that would actually mean closing up shop if I wasn't bringing something else to the table.

To me a dozen eggs is only worth so much and very few people will not pay 4.99 for a dozen box of eggs.

While I give my overage of eggs away to people, they are always offering more for a dozen then even what the chains like WF sells them for (some of these people want weekly supplies as well), precisely because they know these eggs aren't in the supply chain for months before they even get to the store for you to buy and they don't have to worry about what is in their feed supply with me. Extra perceived value of quality. I say perceived, because the end customer has to "see" it. If they don't "see" that extra quality, then just spinning your wheels and if that's enough of your client base, then perhaps it is worth shutting that down. But "you" won't know that unless "you" know your numbers.

Scotchbrite

No comment
We "cost-out" all of our jobs after they are completed. Total up all materials used and the hours spent. Then factor in overhead, and you will know how you did on that job. The more of those you can do really helps you know if you are pricing things correctly. You can look at a broad category of products to see if they are profitable. In the future when you are pricing similar jobs, you can use the previous cost analysis to help price the new job.

For example, we use a speadsheet calculator to price out bulk sticker orders. After costing out a few jobs, we figured out we weren't doing as well on oval stickers versus other shapes. So we started adding a little more onto the price quotes for oval sticker orders.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Sometimes losing money is not only about you but also about the region. Are your customers maintaining their usual financial stability? I once lost the main array of buyers when the largest production in the city closed, and people began to lose their jobs. It's a shame, right? That is, I know that my business really developed successfully, I did everything right. But I'm out of luck. I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time. And since then, I didn't dare to start anew in another. Communicated with a consultant from https://www.humaninvesting.com/retirement-plan-services. I wanted to stop losing money fast. He advised me to try again, but I'm not sure if I have the courage to walk this path again...

Huh?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
ahhhh! i've moved past this question!

SHOP TIME. Figure out how much money you need to make per hour to stay afloat and get ahead. What is your purpose of your business? I hope it's to make money. What are you willing to let go at cheaper prices? (I waive set up fees for sports teams on banners. I have a bunch of templates and can usually get them out quick enough to make a decent profit).
What are you not willing to do? (that's a big one because you don't want to waste time on projects that aren't worth the money. For instance: we don't like chrome deletes on vehicles - They take too much time, they are tedious and a lot of times they come back. We have not found a way to profit from those jobs. So, we turn them away.
I also don't do single shirts. I know shop in the area who caters to etsy shop owners. She's got great pricing on vinyl (she is a siser rep so she sells it wholesale). I send single shirts over to her for people to get. I'm ok with it.
Rule of thumb for us, we need a shop time of $75 per hour. We have a minimum cost of $25 for pretty much everthing.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I have analyzed your investment group, which seemed to me very reliable and promising. I am an experienced investor and often work with different people, so I have met both good investors, with whom I have good relationships, and bad investors whose actions cost me money

Beat it spam bot

WildWestDesigns

I would not advise you to use software to track your spending because it will not teach you how to manage your money, and you will continue to spend it and lose it. In general, instead of software, I would advise you to read information about how to properly allocate your budget and invest money correctly.

I don't see how this is mutually exclusive from what you are talking about. Depending on the amount of what one is needing to keep track of, sometimes it is very much easier to have something that presents things in an easy way to see the result at a glance and be able to make that call rather quickly.

No, it won't stop one from allocating their funds in the certain endeavor, but sometimes, one knows that they are taking a risk, so keeping track of how things are going will make it easier to know when to pull out or see how close something is to a good ROI etc.

Tools are not meant to be a direct replacement for knowledge (although the more that software is abstracting away, the less that is the case), but to help one gather information and interpret said knowledge. Sometimes it's not always easy keeping up with everything and keeping it separate. Especially the more that there is.